Author Topic: You PRR guys.  (Read 4289 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
You PRR guys.
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »
+1
I grabbed this off a On30 Facebook page, but the tag says Altoona. Is this a PRR speeder and if so is there any more info on it? Like drawings :)

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6426
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4924
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
0
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11601
    • Conrail 1285
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
0
I think that was a yard or shop shuttle or something.

Rasputen

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 593
  • Respect: +417
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:08:09 PM »
+2
Is this it??


Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:29:21 PM by Chris333 »

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
+1
I was hoping it was a simple "oh yeah here are the drawings", but it seams easy enough to guess the dimensions. Would make a nice Shapeways HOn30 speeder with a Kato chassis under it.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12265
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11719
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
+2
If it was Pennsy, they would have ordered 300 of them from Baldwin and built another 150 in the Juniata Shops.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11601
    • Conrail 1285
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
+1
If it was Pennsy, they would have ordered 300 of them from Baldwin and built another 150 in the Juniata Shops.

Good point. It'd also be bigger and heavier. And have one weird quirk.

Joking aside though, I swear I've seen pics of it before, and it being referenced as some sort of runabout in Altoona.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
+1
I can't find any more info on it. Google images just calls it "rolling stock"  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35300
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6655
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
+1
Good point. It'd also be bigger and heavier. And have one weird quirk.

Joking aside though, I swear I've seen pics of it before, and it being referenced as some sort of runabout in Altoona.

So the different diameter of the front and real wheels isn't quirky enough for you?  :|  At least they look different to me in that picture. I thought that was a really odd (and cool) feature for this type of vehicle.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3843
  • Respect: +1591
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
0
I'm not convinced the front and rear wheels are different diameter, but I'm also not convinced they are the same.

I am convinced that it's a hand-crankstarter however!
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

prr7161

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 286
  • Respect: +115
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »
+2
Looks like the Altoona yard speeder car.  Here's a color photo of a similar critter:

http://www.altoonaworks.info/pics/contributor/j-dziobko/john_21.jpg

No drawings tho...
Angela Sutton



The Mon Valley in N Scale

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:48 PM »
+1
Looks like the Altoona yard speeder car.  Here's a color photo of a similar critter:

http://www.altoonaworks.info/pics/contributor/j-dziobko/john_21.jpg

No drawings tho...

wow thanks!

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
+1
So just counting ties and comparing to Atlas track the main body box looks to be 17' long.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: You PRR guys.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »
0
Ed got it correct.  Not a speeder.  Used to pick up brakemen after going down the hump.  Notice one man has a brake club.