Author Topic: Micro-Trains June 2017 Releases  (Read 3681 times)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Micro-Trains June 2017 Releases
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »

Definitely interested in learning more about this... (anticipation... its making me wait...)

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »
Have I been missing something or is this a new model??  I see Union Pacific 50' PS boxcars with low mounted brake wheels, short ladders and dorrs corner gussets.  If these drawings are indeed accurate for N-Scale,I'll be in for a bunch.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1001
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
Jerry,

Assuming it is N scale (the announcement had it right after the Z scale freight cars), could that be the same body that Lowell Smith had them make for his Ferdinand Magellan (which was kinda close, but not a model of the actual car)?
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »
Jerry,

Assuming it is N scale (the announcement had it right after the Z scale freight cars), could that be the same body that Lowell Smith had them make for his Ferdinand Magellan (which was kinda close, but not a model of the actual car)?

The newsletter clearly shows this as a Z-scale car in the title.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »
The newsletter clearly shows this as a Z-scale car in the title.
Well, it sure does say it is Z.  Sorry all.  That's what happens when I post at midnight. Stayed up past my bedtime playing with trains.  Hopefully I paid more attention to the RPOs I was working on last night...

TD

Tom D.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
...could that be the same body that Lowell Smith had them make for his Ferdinand Magellan...

I don't know since I haven't been able to find a shot of this side of the model.  The vestibule makes me think that this isn't the Ferdinand Magellan which doesn't have one and the dining room area windows are not like on the Lowell Smith model.  Will be a great addition for the Z-scale folks... just don't recognize what the prototype is.

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
Who makes the mechanism for the N scale Logging loco and the n-scale Christmas train and are they DCC compatible? They never tell us anything about the locos.

Rick

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Who makes the mechanism for the N scale Logging loco and the n-scale Christmas train and are they DCC compatible? They never tell us anything about the locos.

Rick

They've used the Atlas 4-4-0 in the past. I would expect this to be the same.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3127
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »
And the Christmas set is probably the MT FT unit they've used in previously released sets

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
Who makes the mechanism for the N scale Logging loco and the n-scale Christmas train and are they DCC compatible?
That depends upon your definition of DCC compatible.
The Atlas 4-4-0 is not DCC-ready, but Streamlined Backshop [http://www.sbs4dcc.com/] , for example, has a video showing a CT-Elektronik DCX76 decoder installed in that loco. The DCX77 decoder is even smaller.
For the MTL FT, Digitrax sells a drop-in replacement board style decoder [http://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dn163m0/]. It's possible that there are other solutions.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +911
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »

Definitely interested in learning more about this... (anticipation... its making me wait...)

Looks different than the Lowell Smith car..

And a different window arrangement vs the standard N observation..

Hopefully comes to N too..

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
Lowell Smith has used several different window patterns.  The Ferdinand Magellan (although not an accurate model of the prototype car) also had rivets and other details not seen on the more "steamline" versions of the business car.  But he only seems to show one side (platform to the left) of it in the photos I could find on his site, so I will take Jerry's word for it that the other side (platform right, as shown in the MT graphic) is substantially different from the MT Z scale car.

Moot point for me, really.  Last thing I need is another one-off observation car.  The announcement I am waiting for is the single window coach.
Tom D.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »

How many roads were running observation cars when they started modernizing their heavyweight fleet though? Give me a modernized coach and I will be all over that, especially with a rounded roof. Otherwise, this will make a nice business car for me and my execs.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Locos.

I'm wondering why Micro-Trains is releasing new road numbers for product they have already done and not releasing coaches for roads not completed, like Canadian National.

What's with that Joe?

Rick