Author Topic: Looking for someone to machine a tool  (Read 971 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +740
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Looking for someone to machine a tool
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:37 PM »
+1
@mmagliaro, @narrowminded or anybody.

I am looking for someone to machine from 3/16' drill stock a forming tool.  Please PM me if interested and for futher details.

Like this:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

It is designed to replace the makeshift version below:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:22:42 AM by Lemosteam »

Altoona

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Looking for someone to machine a tool
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
John
If these are Bachmann K4 tender tender trucks? I need two pair.

Judd Barton

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +471
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
+1
If that drill bit is working for you, I propose finding (or drilling out ) a steel collar and fixing it on the bit with red LocTite.
That will hold up to the pressing into the bronze pieces without moving or crushing the way the wrapped tape does.

That just seems a lot easier than machining a new piece.  And since drill bits are readily available, if the punching end ever wears out
so it's not to your liking, it would be easy to make another one from a new bit.  (Heat the bit up with a pipe torch, push the collar off, and mount it on a new bit).

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
If that drill bit is working for you, I propose finding (or drilling out ) a steel collar and fixing it on the bit with red LocTite.
That will hold up to the pressing into the bronze pieces without moving or crushing the way the wrapped tape does.

That just seems a lot easier than machining a new piece.  And since drill bits are readily available, if the punching end ever wears out
so it's not to your liking, it would be easy to make another one from a new bit.  (Heat the bit up with a pipe torch, push the collar off, and mount it on a new bit).

Can't argue that  Max, although the end of the collar will have to be perfectly square to the 2.37 diameter.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
If it's really that critical, the collar could be pressed on a drill bit, the the drill chucked in a mill or lathe, and then the face of the collar could be machined so it would be absolutely 90 degrees from the bit.  Then press the collar off, put it on YOUR bit with loctite, and it should be
darn close to perfect. 

The trick there would be to have the collar be a "snug fit", so there would be no wiggle and use a set screw in the collar, so it could be tightened while it gets machined.  A little flat ground into the side of the drill bit with a Dremel would help make the set screw really "bite" so the collar would stay put.

I could machine the face for you if you get that far and like this idea.

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »
+3
Umm... did you forget that you visited my basement, and my horn making shop.  Perhaps you missed the 12 x 36" lathe sitting there.  We can crank something out in a few minutes, depending on the material and how fancy you want it: like some knurling (extra cost!)  Bring over a drawing in IMPERIAL measurements, my fancy Starrett caliper with the easy conversion button has a dead battery, as usual.  Give me a call at your convenience.
Bob

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »
Umm... did you forget that you visited my basement, and my horn making shop.  Perhaps you missed the 12 x 36" lathe sitting there.  We can crank something out in a few minutes, depending on the material and how fancy you want it: like some knurling (extra cost!)  Bring over a drawing in IMPERIAL measurements, my fancy Starrett caliper with the easy conversion button has a dead battery, as usual.  Give me a call at your convenience.

@Hornwrecker sorry for the delay in responding.  I did not recall a metal lathe down there, but if the offer still stands, I'll take you up on it within the next two weeks if that's ok. Please PM me with your number, I seem to have misplaced it.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
+1
So I started pondering @mmagliaro 's idea for a collar, and found these Fuller drill stop collars, for nearly every drill size, fairly small down to 1/16 too.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/drill_stops.html

When it came in the mail I couldn't wait to try it.  The #42 bit size collar fit perfectly, and with two setscrews it was perfect.  The setscrews won't matter in terms of collar slippage though as the backside of the collar buts up against the chuck grips in the drill press making for a solid press feel all the way down till the collar contacts the upper FUD die. The black circles are where the punch enters the upper die. Here you see an unformed version of the etch in the lower tool, a formed three axle version of the etch for my 3768 streamlined K4 kit, a formed two axle version for my two PRR trucks, a Kiesel and a Dolphin, just snip off the outer tabs, and the revised punch with the stop collar with the drill at the desired depth. Popped through 32 of these in about seven minutes.

I'm very pleased, so thanks to all of those whom offered to help, and those whom offered ideas.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:00:24 PM by Lemosteam »

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
+2
The simple solutions are always the best.  Remember, I always have plenty of whacky ideas for solutions to problems that you haven't even thought of, yet.
Bob

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »
+1
The simple solutions are always the best.  Remember, I always have plenty of whacky ideas for solutions to problems that you haven't even thought of, yet.

Yes, I'm quite sure of that!  :trollface:

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
+1
Outstanding!  And with it stopped against the drill chuck, no loctite!  So it can be disassembled and put on another bit!

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
+1
Looks like it's covered. ;)  Nice job. 8)