Author Topic: Basic NCE Power Cab Allow for Expansion?  (Read 1232 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Basic NCE Power Cab Allow for Expansion?
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
Last night, the Seaboard Central 2.0 went to its new home.  As a result, I no longer have an N scale layout, and nowhere to run my daughter's N scale Kato North Pole Express that she got from Santa last Christmas.  So, while we were packing up the layout last night, I let her run her train one last time.  She had not really asked to run it for some time, but she was showing a little sadness by saying goodbye to Daddy's layout.  So, doing what all good daddies do, I promised to build her a small N scale layout.  She asked if she could help build it (model railroading parenting win!), and, of course, I said yes.  I'll use up some Kato N scale Unitrack that I have lying around somewhere and supplement with additional pieces as necessary.

The problem is that I sold the Digitrax DCC system with the layout, so I don't have any control system for my daughter's planned N scale layout.  I just bought an NCE system for the Seaboard Central 3.0, and I like it.  So, I am considering buying an NCE Power Cab starter system to power my daughter's layout, which, if she loses interest, I could (hopefully) use with my planned HO and/or On30 layouts.

Questions:
1) Will I be able to use the NCE Power Cab with my HO scale layout as an additional throttle?
2) Will the basic Power Cab allow expansion, e.g., wireless, should I decide to "borrow" it someday for use on the planned On30 ET&WNC layout?

Thanks,
DFF
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:30:05 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
Re: Basic NCE Power Pro Allow for Expansion?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
I assume you are asking about the NCE PowerCab?   Works as a small standalone system with the special breakout jack (great for a programming setup), but will plug right in to a "larger" Power Pro system as well.

-Dave

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
I assume you are asking about the NCE PowerCab?

Oops, yeah, I was. :facepalm:  Thanks, I'll fix my original post.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:31:38 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Works as a small standalone system with the special breakout jack (great for a programming setup), but will plug right in to a "larger" Power Pro system as well.

-Dave

That's what I was hoping.  Thanks for your reply.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

newt749

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Basic NCE Power Cab Allow for Expansion?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
+2
Dave,

You should have no problem using a PowerCab on your daughter's layout. It will be a great system to use. When you wish to have another throttle on your "larger" layout, the PowerCab throttle simply plugs into one of the power panel cab outlets. The PowerCab throttle will function just like a PowerPro throttle. The DCC command part of the PowerCab throttle is disabled when you use it on a PowerPro system. The only thing you have to make certain is that you use the correct cable, four wire for your layout and flat six wire for your daughter's. The extra wires in the cable transmit power to the rails. Also, make sure that you keep the PowerCab power panel attached to her layout and that way you won't make any mistakes. Just take your throttle, attach the appropriate cable and run trains.

This is the reason I bought my NCE systems and love them. The only "extra" piece I end up with is a wall wart and they can be very useful in their own right. Everything else is very flexible. In fact, I use my PowerCab system, attached to an NCE USB interface and a computer running JMRI, as a programming platform. Very handy! When I want to run trains and I have friends over, I can use the throttle in my PowerPro system. At the moment I still have to plug the throttle in but I could have NCE install a radio transmitter in it if I wanted to go wireless. For a more complete wireless operation, I can also plug my PowerPro system into my home computer network and run JMRI with a router. With several iPhones, iPods and iPads around, I can have as many operators as I could ever want.

You will find this a very good system and it should meet the needs of both you and your daughter nicely.

Rob