Author Topic: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0  (Read 98163 times)

Vince P

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
Re: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0
« Reply #1290 on: June 29, 2020, 01:23:41 AM »
@davefoxx
How do go about making that territorial overtaking Kudzu

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #1291 on: June 29, 2020, 09:38:54 AM »
+1
Generally, I can figure it out by deductive reasoning, but, when I get really stuck, I ask my wife or my daughter.  Yeah, that's right, I've been known to rely on an eight-year-old's eyes.  :facepalm:

Dude, I can barely see N scale with glasses on now.  I have to ask my eight year olds all the time to read small print on stuff for me.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +1046
« Reply #1292 on: June 29, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
+1
Sweet !  People other than myself watch/see my YT videos :D

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +2421
« Reply #1293 on: June 29, 2020, 04:32:06 PM »
@davefoxx
How do go about making that territorial overtaking Kudzu

@Vince P,

Over top of a base layer of ground foam, I apply Poly Fiber, which I stretch and pull out as much as possible.  The ground foam is under there to give something to camouflage the foam substrate visible through the voids in the kudzu.  Once I tack the Poly Fiber in place with white glue, I sprinkle Super Leaf material over the Poly Fiber as kudzu leaves.  I set the leaves with diluted white glue.  Simple, but I like it.  It really becomes more realistic when I can make the kudzu climb over objects, e.g, the trestle, telephone poles, and trees.  That will happen when I get the base scenery finished in this area of the layout.

DFF
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:33:44 PM by davefoxx »

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #1294 on: June 29, 2020, 04:40:33 PM »
+1
Sweet !  People other than myself watch/see my YT videos :D

Probably before your time kid.    :D

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #1295 on: June 29, 2020, 06:41:21 PM »

Probably just before my young eyes were allowed to see it.  Was born in 79. 

Vince P

• Crew
« Reply #1296 on: June 29, 2020, 07:18:25 PM »
@Vince P,

Over top of a base layer of ground foam, I apply Poly Fiber, which I stretch and pull out as much as possible.  The ground foam is under there to give something to camouflage the foam substrate visible through the voids in the kudzu.  Once I tack the Poly Fiber in place with white glue, I sprinkle Super Leaf material over the Poly Fiber as kudzu leaves.  I set the leaves with diluted white glue.  Simple, but I like it.  It really becomes more realistic when I can make the kudzu climb over objects, e.g, the trestle, telephone poles, and trees.  That will happen when I get the base scenery finished in this area of the layout.

DFF

Thanks have to give it's try as I have a ton of vine material from an old dogs bed I recycled for scenery material on an older layout but never got to use.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:35:52 AM by Vince P »

Vince P

• Crew
« Reply #1297 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »

When you could still understand what they were singing lol.

Memories

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2770
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #1298 on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:33 PM »

Summertime Girls, big-hair bands!  Sure brings back some memories.  So many fun videos!  Cherry Pie was another good one, and there are dozens of others.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #1299 on: June 30, 2020, 02:05:24 AM »
I was hoping someone would catch the Y&T reference due to Adam saying something about people watching YT videos.
It was the first thing that came to mind.  :trollface:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #1300 on: July 01, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »
I was hoping someone would catch the Y&T reference due to Adam saying something about people watching YT videos.
It was the first thing that came to mind.  :trollface:

I figured there was some kind of connection I missed.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #1301 on: Yesterday at 02:37:29 PM »
+2
This weekend’s project will be to frame out the three-track staging yard shelf for the Aberdeen & Rockfish.  It will be approximately 9” deep to keep sufficient room for an aisle.  I’m typically a lone wolf operator, so a minimum 24” aisle back behind the layout is not too tight.

This staging yard will not only add capacity to the layout, but it will also give the A&R somewhere to go other than the 30” stub siding that the train now has to back into or out of.  The A&R yard will have three double-ended tracks with a small stub at the far end sufficient to allow the power and a caboose to switch the yard and runaround the train.

The picture below shows a piece of 1”x3” that will be screwed to the wall at almost exactly that spot.  I’ll be sure to leave access to the sewer pipe clean out.  The A&R’s track will branch off the main layout where the A&R train with three pulpwood cars sits at the back right corner of the layout in the photo below.  I’ll have to realign it, but there is more than enough room for an 18” radius curve to make a complete 180-degree turn behind the copper supply line, over the water meter, and in front of the sewer pipe.

Unfortunately, a run to the LHS yesterday found a shortage of track, so the project won’t get that far this weekend. :(

Stay tuned,
DFF

A Proud HOer

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #1302 on: Yesterday at 10:24:41 PM »
+3
The main portion of the A&R’s staging shelf is built and temporarily set into place.  The “leg” and 2” foam holding it up are only until I get the shelf screwed into the cinder block wall.  I managed to go to the home center and never gave it thought to buy a masonry drill bit to allow me to sink the Tapcon concrete anchors (they’re screws) into the block.  :facepalm:  I’ll get one tomorrow and hopefully finish the small bit of framing remaining over the water meter to connect the new shelf to the layout.  If necessary, the plan is to do angle braces under the shelf to add stability.

DFF

A Proud HOer

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3162
« Reply #1303 on: Yesterday at 10:56:20 PM »
+2
Didn't I draw this up in N scale a while back. Lol  :D

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #1304 on: Yesterday at 11:08:20 PM »
+1
Didn't I draw this up in N scale a while back. Lol  :D

Beats me.  This has been along the lines of my original brainstormed plan from the get-go, as reality has allowed things to fit.  I do recall that you did an edit to the Bedford Valley plan to include the Seaboard Central’s branch, rather than a switchback.  That has been the crux of this layout’s design.

DFF

A Proud HOer