Author Topic: Night of Living Dangerously: moving a headlight in brass  (Read 1391 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
Night of Living Dangerously: moving a headlight in brass
« on: April 29, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
+10
I noticed a new detail in the EP2 bipolars that Milwaukee Rd owned.  And it only applies to 2 out of the five units.

Here is a shot of the headlight in brass.   This is a good representation of what the prototype looks like.   They all looked like this as-delivered.  You can see that the back edge is mounted on the edge of the nose and it projects outward.

But by the time you get to the renumbering days when they were renumbered to the E series, on two units,  one headlight was moved backward away from the edge.  And it lost that steam loco look.   And it was not uniform.  On E-1, the A headlight was moved back (but not the B).  On E-2, the B headlight was moved back (but not the A).

You can see that clearly in this shot of E-1 A Cab.

So for weeks, I've been thinking about moving the headlight on my brass model.  I thought I could probably do it- though there was a risk I might trash the shell.   So last night I went for it.   And yes, I almost ruined the shell.   :facepalm:

First, I used my American Beauty resistance soldering tweezers to remove the light.  It came right off.   This is a pretty cool casting- I almost wish I could get lost wax brass copies made.

And this is where I almost ruined the shell.  My first thought was to simply back up the light- as is.  So I used the motor tool to open up the hole in the shell roof (no photos).  But before I got very far, I began thinking--- DANG!  This is going to make a huge hole by the time I move all of this backwards.  So I stopped and re-evaluated.    I decided rather than mount the casting as-is with the light tube running back through the shell, I would cut it off and start over- essentially redesigning it.

So I then used a cut off disc to remove the tube so the part could sit on the roof (instead of going THROUGH the roof).

I then figured it would be best to plug the hole and make a new tube at a better angle.
So I found some brass rod on hand that fit like a glove.  I soldered it in place.  Hole now plugged.

I then cut off the rod and was back where I was in the previous step.  It should lay flat now.

New tubes.  I found the tube on the right was the same as the brass rod and would fit into the light casting once a hole was drilled.   But that tube is WAYYYYY too small for the huge hole in the roof.  So I would solder the next size tube on the outside.

I carefully drilled a new hole the size of the small tube.

And soldered it in place.

I then cut a small piece of outer tube and soldered it in place.  I made sure there was plenty of solder all up to the top.

Trimmed it.

And test fit it.   The hole is still a bit large.  Also the casting is canting forward a bit because my new tube is hitting the back side of the nose door.  So I would motor tool a flat edge that touches the door and that allowed it to straighten up.

I then used resistance soldering to get it stuck in place.  I had to hold it all up side down because I did not want my tube-in-tube to fall out.
Once stuck in place, I then added some blobs of solder on the inside.  Then one last resistance melt to get it all firm.  Had to do it a couple of times to get the light as perfectly straight as I could.

I confess, I was still nervous at this point.  I feared I could not make this look good.

I still needed to fill that hole.  First, I needed to partially fill the hole because that hole as-is is too big to fill with solder.  So I cut and shaped a small edge of the larger tubing. 

I then cut a little piece off and filled the hole partially.  I felt this might be sufficiently filled to flow solder over it.

So I fluxed and placed a blob of solder with a traditional iron.  I tried to get enough- but now flow it all over the place.

I then spent a lot of time with high magnification and micro files shaping the solder to try to match the contour of the nose.  Working with solder is not as easy as working with body putty, but with careful work it is possible.

Not perfect, but it turned out pretty well.

And I still have a hole for running the magnet wire for the LED headlight.

The only rough spot was the back side.  I had to retain the rear projection to cover the hole in the shell.   It looks a little rough under close macro shot....

...but better from far away.  And it will all be painted black when done.

So in the end I succeeded in backing up the headlight to match the prototype. This is the look I was after.   But I confess I have not had this much fear in modelling since I attempted my first kitbash about 30 years ago (and yes.... it was a U18B  ;) ).

At first, I did not think I would attempt this again.   But the real dangerous step was opening up the hole in the roof.   I think if I try this again, I will NOT open up the hole at all.  And by doing this, I may possibly be able to remove that rearward projection altogether.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:09:18 PM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Night of Living Dangerously: moving a headlight in brass
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »
+2
Oh man, Ron, I had to cover my eyes while reading your post!  Scary stuff!

You sure got lucky.  I would have tried to use a higher-melt temp solder (like silver-bearing solder) for modifying the headlight and a very low-temp solder (like Tix) to attach the headlight to the body.  That (in my mind) would have lessened the chances of the headlight parts unsoldering when soldering it to the chassis.
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »

You sure got lucky.  I would have tried to use a higher-melt temp solder (like silver-bearing solder) for modifying the headlight and a very low-temp solder (like Tix) to attach the headlight to the body.  That (in my mind) would have lessened the chances of the headlight parts unsoldering when soldering it to the chassis.

You know, I had thought about that.
I've read through the years that people use solder of different melt temps, but I have no experience myself.

I even have some solder with silver in it.  But I have no idea of the melt temp between that and what I normally use (something like 60/40 solder).

I guess I need to educate myself more.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »
+2
Ron, here are some threads about soldering (while some address track soldering, the info is useful for any type of soldering:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=36966
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40218
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=39729.msg486704#msg486704

And of course, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering (melting temps of some solders are provided).
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
Beautiful work!

Ed

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
+4
Well, even though moving the headlight was almost a disaster, I was still very pleased with the results.

Here is the first try detailed above.  Notice the residual angled area in the back.

So since I better knew what to do next time, and since I had two more of these adjustments to make, I decided to take what I had learned and try again.

Here is a before photo.

I used the same overall procedure described above.  But this time, I cut off the rearward projection.  You can see from this extreme macro shot that the plug was needed as before in order to fill in the original tube.

The other major change this time was I did NOT open up the hole very much.  Only enough to get the new tube into the hole.

And once soldered in place, the rearward projection is gone, and the hole is covered in the rear.

I used solder to fill in the hole up front.  Filed it all smooth.

Now THIS is the look I was after.
Yay.   8)

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:22 PM »
If anybody can help with Hiawatha research for this loco.... please read my request on the prototype forum.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=41856.0
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »
. . . 42 . . .

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »

You know for all that effort you put into posting that image; you could have just used the Up arrow button at the top of the post.  :P

(Please dont down vote me, I am only teasing!  :D )
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 02:57:24 AM »
@u18b you are much braver than i will ever be when it comes to brass models... (or anything in this hobby)
I have a Hallmark C40-8W that I would love to replace the hand rails on, I think I could do it, but I am afraid to. All I have is a basic pencil soldering iron from the nearly dead radio shack, and the model is painted and lettered for the Santa Fe... (which I cannot bring myself to strip, and repaint...)
That and no clue as to where I would get GE handrail stanchions either...

“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Santa Fe N Scale

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
Good work!
they...say we can't make this stuff up... but what else could we make?

Craig Kempf-Arlington WA