Author Topic: Another Bachmann Super Sale at the Trainworld  (Read 2506 times)

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Another Bachmann Super Sale at the Trainworld
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
Tks for your reply Michael.   I  have the H16-44 and it stalls at slow speed on frogs and is a growler.    Maybe the latest offerings from bachmann run smoother.  I find I have to keep my track pristine in order for even atlas engines to run good.  Tks again

Kirk

3 thoughts...

-Keep loco wheels clean.  I use paint thinner.  I'll rip up a paper towel, soak a small piece in the paint thinner, lay the paper towel across the rails and clean one truck at a time (I keep the other truck on the rails and give the loco a little power which should cause the wheels/truck on the paper towel to rotate).  I then do the same but with a small piece of dry paper towel.  Don't underestimate the ability of wheels-sets to cause electrical pickup issues.
-On the Atlas at least take apart the trucks and clean those axle cups.  I've found most of mine, as they come from the factory as being overly greased.  And the grease is non-conductive, which of course hurts the electrical pickup.
-If you find yourself having to clean your track all the time consider changing your cleaning method.  I switched to the "wet" method suggested by Joe Fugate a number of years ago and hardly ever have electrical pickup issues due to dirty track–He uses mineral spirits (paint thinner).

kgreen

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
i know this topic has been beat to death on this and various other sites.   I have to say I have never used anything aside from alcohol and paper towel to clean engine wheels and track.  Also over time the cups do build up dirt.  It is the turnouts that cause the problems.  Here is where you say no problems with powered frogs!  If I can keep track real clean it runs quite nicely.  Do you find using paint thinner works longer between cleanings for any other reason?

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »
+1
i know this topic has been beat to death on this and various other sites.   I have to say I have never used anything aside from alcohol and paper towel to clean engine wheels and track.  Also over time the cups do build up dirt.  It is the turnouts that cause the problems.  Here is where you say no problems with powered frogs!  If I can keep track real clean it runs quite nicely.  Do you find using paint thinner works longer between cleanings for any other reason?

I used alcohol for the first couple years of the layouts life... The mineral spirits have done much, much better.  And I don't go nuts trying to wipe all the mineral spirits off the track/rail.  Some have said alcohol leaves a film, other's have said it's because rubbing alcohol does contain water also... Whatever, I just know in my experience the mineral spirits have done a better job.  Test.  It's not like a container of mineral spirits is going to set you back much.

3/4 of my turnouts have unpowered frogs, and if a loco stalls, 7 times out of 10 I find that it's a loco problem (many times with the axle cups, sometimes with the brass wiper strip).  Maybe another 2 times out 10, the turnout points are dirty.

Yeah, the unpowered frogs are problematic, but it comes down to the locomotive in most instances IMO... Especially if you're running loco's where each wheel is or should be providing pickup.  If/when one truck hits that unpowered frog, the other should be doing its job, and if it's not– then we've got an issue with the loco.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:54:51 PM by MichaelWinicki »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »
+1
Eyeballing an NW-2 for the Close Enough is Good Enough department...

I believe the Canton 47 was an SW900, and according to https://www.thedieselshop.us/Canton.HTML, they never rostered an NW-2... 
I suppose I could get a Lifelike/Walthers SW900, but for $50 with DCC installed...  I'm willing to blur my eyes a little and do some switching!

I'll also be able to do some cardboard box modeling!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »
Anyone know if you can put the old ConCor "sw1500" shell on one of these mechs? I've got one all painted up for ICG that I don't want to bung up decoderizing.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »
+1

I believe the Canton 47 was an SW900, and according to https://www.thedieselshop.us/Canton.HTML, they never rostered an NW-2... 
I suppose I could get a Lifelike/Walthers SW900, but for $50 with DCC installed...  I'm willing to blur my eyes a little and do some switching!

I'll also be able to do some cardboard box modeling!

Lee
After running the Bachmann NW2 for a few days, I think it's an overall better runner than the Lifelike/Walthers SW's... And I have two of those.  Also think it's a better runner than the Kato NW2.

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
+1
For cleaning track use this:

CRC Contact Cleaner

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-11-oz-Contact-Cleaner-02130-6/202262505

Works well sprayed on a paper towel over the tracks for cleaning engine wheels (or on the Woodland Scenics wheel cleaner thing that sits on and gets power from the tracks). Also, good sprayed on those new Woodland Scenics pads that clip on a rolling stock truck and are dragged around the layout.

Bill McBride