Author Topic: Unsung heros of modeling  (Read 6933 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
Unsung heros of modeling
« on: March 31, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
I was just applying the fifth application of Micro-Sol to some recently applied deals, and I realized how screwed I'd be if this stuff was no longer available.

Losing stuff like Bestine (although, sounds like only temporarily) reminded me. What's stuff that you kinda take for granted but would be in trouble if it were gone.

I can think of a few.

Poly Scale Paints (whoops  :oops:)
Plastruct's Glues
Xacto Knives, Blades, Saws, etc...
Walthers Goo

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: Unsung heros of modeling
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
+2
Evergreen styrene.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »
+2
Ambroid pro weld. I'm nearing the end of my stash only to find that it's been gone for some time. 
Aaron Bearden

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
+1
I just use a big giant gallon of M.E.K. for glue.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »
+1
CA. Eastman #910 was new and not yet heralded as the silver bullet it is when I started in the hobby. Cannot imagine modeling life without it.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
+1
Yellow Carpenter's Glue
2" x 4' x 8' Rigid Foam Board
Lightweight Spackling
Hollow Core Doors  :D

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
Wallmart Barn Red Primer Rattle Can....      .

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
+1
ED,
Products I miss:
Chameleon paint stripper although Scalecoat II Wash away works pretty well.
Polly Scale paint
Polly Scale Paint thinner although the Testors Model Master Universal Acrylic thinner seems to work on my remaining Polly Scale Paint.
Champ Decals

Products I still use and would miss:
Testors Plastic Cement
Microscale Micro Kristal Klear
Microscale Micro Sol
Microscale Decals
Great Decals
Scalecoat II paint

Just to name a few  :D

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
What replaces Floqual DioSol ?

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
What replaces Floqual DioSol ?

You still have original Floquil paints to be thinned?  I have used Lacquer Thinner with them even when SioSol was still around (I still have a can of DioSol too).  I suspect that Scalecoat or Scalecoat II thinners will work ok with Floquil (original and rev1 paints respectively).

To address the earlier Ambroid Pro-Weld question:  That liquid cement is methylene-chloride based. Similar to Tenax (which is also gone IIRC).  But Micro-Mark is now sellign a Pro-Weld clone.  Check their website.  However, for the thrifty-minded modelers, there are commercially available liquid cements which are much more economical (cheaper per liq. oz.)   It is IPS Weld-On 3 (it seems that it the company got bought out and it is now SCIGRIP 3).  Almost identical to Pro-Weld and Tenax.  Well-stocked hardware stores (like True Value) should have these cements in stock, and if not, the could order them for you.

Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200961930310
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162448584782

@Chris333 mentioned MEK. That also works but it is very different.  Weld-On (and its relatives) is a very fast evaporating cement. MEK (MEK is also used in Testors Liquid Cement) evaporates much slower. I use both types, depending on the specific application I need.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »
If you flood too much MEK into a joint just blow on it and it evaporates instantly.  ;)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:00:08 PM »
I did note that the main ingredient on Pro Weld is methylene chloride.  I haven't done any hardware store shopping to find any yet, though.  I have tried Plastruct's welding cement but it's not quite as good, IMO.
Aaron Bearden

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
I was just applying the fifth application of Micro-Sol to some recently applied deals, and I realized how screwed I'd be if this stuff was no longer available.

Speaking of Micro Sol, I was applying some decals the other day and the Micro Sol just didn't seem to be working.  I had to apply it numerous times to get even a hint of adhesion.  Thinking this was a bit weird, I called MicroScale and asked if this stuff has a shelf life.  Sure enough 1 - 1.5 years, 2 at most.  Mine is about 10 years old :facepalm:.  I guess I'd better order another bottle.

Doug

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 06:44:13 PM »
I will go ahead and say it.  @Ed Kapuscinski is my unsung hero of modeling !  This also includes a lot of other members here.  You have all driven me to improve and push on with my modeling efforts.  Without you, the Hanover Sub would only be a shell of itself

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
Speaking of Micro Sol, I was applying some decals the other day and the Micro Sol just didn't seem to be working.  I had to apply it numerous times to get even a hint of adhesion.  Thinking this was a bit weird, I called MicroScale and asked if this stuff has a shelf life.  Sure enough 1 - 1.5 years, 2 at most.  Mine is about 10 years old :facepalm:.  I guess I'd better order another bottle.

Doug

Micro-Set (blue label) is acetic-acid (vinegar) based solution. It is the milder of the set Microscale makes.  It should have long life.  But it might not be Micro-Sol's fault.  Does it still small like vinegar? The it should be good.  Are you using Microscale decals?  Because there are many different decal manufacturers and the clear film is different for each brand. Some of those films are not affected by the Microscale setting solutions.

My Micro-Sol (red label) "smell test" seems to  indicate it is alcohol-based (alcohol might evaporate if not tightly capped).  But that is the stronger solution. You might want to try it. I have about a half dozen of different decal setting solutions and between them all I have not yet encountered a decal which I can't soften.  Walther's Solvaset seems to be the strongest, but even then, some decal brands respond better to the acid-based solutions.

I'm also puzzled by your statement about adhesion. None of the decal setting solutions have any adhesive qualities. Decals simply cling to the model's surface (with traces of the adhesive form the decal paper providing some additional adhesion)
. . . 42 . . .