Author Topic: Looking for 1/43 figures for American WW2 soldiers  (Read 624 times)

p51

• Crew
  • Respect: +633
Looking for 1/43 figures for American WW2 soldiers
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
I am looking for a good source of WW2 AMERICAN soldiers in 1/43 scale. 1/48 just doesn’t look right, as I have assembled/painted a grouping of GIs and they looked like kids on my layout alongside the other figures and vehicles I have. They’re no good to me.
I cannot find any good source for 1/43 WW2 US soldiers at all. I’ve searched online extensively, including Shapeways (the closest I could find was a group of Naval officers and sailors in dungarees, but that doesn’t work, either).
My layout really can use some GIs for the foreground as I have a RR Operating Unit HQ and it looks odd to just have the vehicles sitting outside their day room but not a single GI in sight (it doesn’t help that I’m a former US Army officer and military historian focusing mostly on the Army in WW2, either).
FYI, I have zero use for toy-like stuff. The photo below will show you have much a stickler for authenticity I am, as it extends to 1:1 scale stuff as well:

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
Re: Looking for 1/43 figures for American WW2 soldiers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
It would take some trial and error but you might be able to shrink them down from 1:35 scale using Naphtha mixed with RTV.  A 19% reduction is certainly within the range of one step, ie one RTV mold with the proper amount of Naphtha would get you there with the RTV I use.  You would probably want to try the RTV that dries clear so that you can carefully cut the mold into two pieces after it sets.  Smooth-On makes SORTA-clear RTV but I've never used it so you are going to have to do some experimentation with it.