Author Topic: Next Release of the Atlas Ford LN Series  (Read 2337 times)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Next Release of the Atlas Ford LN Series
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
+3
The Atlas Catalog for January-June 2017 (page 24) has the pending announcement (April 2017) for another release of the Ford LNT-9000 semi-tractors.  When I went through all of the color options listed, I realized there were some colors I did not have.  However, since I do have a substantial fleet of Ford LNT-9000s, I was not sure if I could justify purchasing any more of them.

But after pondering on this for a while, I began to wonder what the Atlas model would look like with some Trainworx truck parts added.

The first one is an LN-9000.  (Ford’s designation for trucks with single rear axles was LN, and the designation for trucks with tandem rear axles was LNT.)  The chassis was shortened and the fifth wheel plate was relocated so it is slightly ahead of the rear axle.  When a trailer is hitched to the truck, there is just enough clearance behind the cab of the tractor to allow for extreme right or left turns without the trailer hitting the cab or exhaust stack.  The Atlas wheels were replaced with Trainworx Budd wheels.  Etched stainless steel Showcase Miniatures mud flaps and Road Apples mirrors were added, as well as a deck cover made from BLMA etched brass diamond tread plate.

Next is a LNT-9000 with Trainworx aluminum wheels and 100 gallon fuel tanks with steps.  This one also has the Showcase Miniatures mud flaps, Road Apple mirrors and BLMA diamond tread plate for the deck cover.  The chassis was shortened slightly to reduce the gap between the fuel tanks and tires on the leading rear axle.

It is definitely fun looking for ways to enhance some of our older models with these new Trainworx truck parts.   :D

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
Re: Next Release of the Atlas Ford LN Series
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »
Lookin good! There is a blue LNT at one of the facilities I service for my local university that I look at every time I'm at the building it services.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:49 AM »
+1
Very nice Carter ! I love the amount of mixing/matching we can due with all the Trainworx truck parts available individually.  I'm still hoping that this line of parts will stick around for a while (in the days of limited-releases of every model RR related item).
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:26:39 AM »
+1
Ahhh, memories of 1988/2000 design work, nice job on those models @cfritschle !!

Worked on all manner of Ford Heavy truck design then including the HN80 program, which is still essentially still in production, sold lock stock and barrel, to Freightliner to create the Sterling brand.

L Model was a long 105.3" Cab with a set-forward front axle.

LN Model was a short 93.3" Cab with a set-forward front axle.

LT Model was a long 105.3" Cab with a set-back front axle.

And yes, the addition of a T or S designated the axle.

Later the Aeromax was created from the LT model with an aerodynamic hood and headlights.

Are there Aeromax models out there in N?

Fun Fact 1- There were so many available options and orderable combinations to that truck series (speculated to be over 12 million) that Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) NEVER built an identical truck (by single-customer orders) excepting of course fleet customers.

Fun Fact 2-  KTP was the single largest ve3hicle manufacturing under a single roof when the Superduty was added and may actually still be.  Not sure.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
Nice work Carter! 8)

I am looking forward to getting one of these for my 1975 era layout.

This design was built what? 1970 up to the 1990s? I know the grill would need to be back dated for mid 1970s but maybe I will park one facing a wall or something.  :P

Mark
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:13:44 PM by Mark5 »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
Nice work Carter! 8)

I am looking forward to getting one of these for my 1975 era layout.

This design was built what? 1970 up to the 1990s? I know the grill would need to be back dated for mid 1970s but maybe I will park one facing a wall or something.  :P

Mark

Mark, check this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-FORD-L-LINE-Truck-Brochure-LN-LNT-LT-800-9000-LN800-LTS-8000-LS-DUMP-MIXER-/201629254903

Egg crate grill (thes models look post that) goes all the way up to '84.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »

Are there Aeromax models out there in N?

I don't know of any in N scale, but there was a 1:24 scale plastic model kit from Revell (I own one). IIRC, it was a re-boxed Itelari kit.

Revell/Monogram also offered a 1:32 scale snap-kit of that truck.

. . . 42 . . .

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »
Thank you for the compliments everyone!  Also, the information posted by Lemosteam is very helpful.   

I will try to answer as many questions as I can.  The Atlas model's cab and grille are perfect for the 1972 to 1984 Ford LN Series.  The 1970 and 1971 models did not have the "bright metal grille surround" which is a separate part on the Atlas model.  It would be difficult to back date it to 1970, but I am sure it could be done. 

The 1985-87 Ford LN Series used the same grille, but had the blue oval with Ford script at the top of the grille instead of having F O R D spelled out.  Atlas could print the Ford oval and gain three more years of prototype trucks.  Athearn has done this with their Ford C.  In 1988 the Ford LN Series received the horizontal bar grille and rectangular headlights.  That style was produced through 1995.  Several years ago I asked Paul Graf about additional tooling for the horizontal bar grille and rectangular headlights, and he indicated that was highly unlikely.

Peter has already mentioned there is no AeroMax in N scale.  I thought Herpa made one in HO, but I am only seeing a late 1980s to 1995 L-9000 with the setback front axle in the catalog.  However, I did find a Boley HO scale Ford AreoMax on Ebay, but it is the AeroMax 120 from 1992-95. 

It would be great if Atlas could offer the 1996 AeroMax 9500 in both HO and N.  I am not sure if their Ford license would cover it because this is the AeroMax that became the Sterling A-Line.  There are a lot of those still around, and about the only way to tell a Ford from an early Sterling is the badge in the grille.

Seeing a 1970 to 1984 LN Series Ford is not all that unusual either.  One my way home from work tonight I met a 1972-1984 style LNT dump truck that looked nearly new.  I am sure it had been repainted, but it was still working!

One additional oddity is that sometimes I see L Series Fords with round headlights and horizontal bar grilles as well as ones with rectangular headlights and egg crate grilles.  I am not sure if they came that way from the factory or not.

Carter
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:12:10 AM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/