Author Topic: "New Era" paint schemes for the NH  (Read 2438 times)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
Re: "New Era" paint schemes for the NH
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »
To be fair the PRR banned allied trucks in Feb 1955 (with the exception of cars from the CB&Q and B&O) I've found no reference to the specific month an AAR ban took effect... So its perfectly believable that they would be around for a little while longer.

I stand to be corrected but the NH cars were changed out as they were rebuilt as part of the sale-lease back program, I imagine that took several months to go through ~100 cars...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 01:59:18 AM »
Bryan:  "The "NYNH&H" was used on passenger letterboards and on freight equipment lettering in the early 20th century before the railroad standardized on "NEW HAVEN", but not ever as the reporting marks."

OK, I have a car, lettered with dry transfers of unknown origin, probably in the 70s, and it has the script herald with "NYNH&H" initials.  So, if they were never used as reporting marks, there's no point worrying about whether the car would have been running in 1974.

Judging by that 1965 picture, any car with the script herald was probably repainted or out of revenue service by 1974 anyway, so I'll retire mine.  At least, I hope they repainted that thing before the lettering rusted through the sides.

Thank you!
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 05:41:57 AM »
Ah, Inquisitor #2 -- since I have Ps-1s, and AAR 1937s, and various other cars I can easily paint to copy ANY NH boxcar, seems I CAN make the right car with the right paint scheme if I knew the RIGHT TIME.
And I'd have to take exception with anybody running FGE steel plug door 4o' boxcars because any plastic ones you have are WRONG WRONG WRONG since nobody makes an N prototype. So purge your layouts of them!
Jeez, tell me some more how to build my layout. :x

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
+1
You can build your layout any way you wish. The NH re-lease program on the AAR boxcars started in 1955. The odds it was February is unlikely, obviously. The PS-1s were not part of the leaseback program. All of these givens were apparent or stated outright in the first responses of this thread.

Regarding your FGE snark, I don't have any 40' FGE plug door boxcars. I do have a 40' plug door reefer that I kitbashed. I also have the MTL riveted mechanical reefers and the InterMountain wood reefers, which are prototypical, and a handful of additional models in the process of being kitbashed/scratchbuilt that will be prototypical. You may be annoyed that people are questioning your inconsistent fidelity to prototype, but you should make sure your return volleys are accurate.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
Bryan:  "The "NYNH&H" was used on passenger letterboards and on freight equipment lettering in the early 20th century before the railroad standardized on "NEW HAVEN", but not ever as the reporting marks."

OK, I have a car, lettered with dry transfers of unknown origin, probably in the 70s, and it has the script herald with "NYNH&H" initials.  So, if they were never used as reporting marks, there's no point worrying about whether the car would have been running in 1974.

Judging by that 1965 picture, any car with the script herald was probably repainted or out of revenue service by 1974 anyway, so I'll retire mine.  At least, I hope they repainted that thing before the lettering rusted through the sides.

Thank you!

There were some script herald cars still in revenue service in 1974. The PS-1 DF boxcars never were repainted and were kept in relatively good shape well into the PC era. The offset quad hoppers survived into the 1970s with script heralds, and I think the triple-bay ribbed hoppers did as well. A handful of State of Maine XIH boxcars were not repainted, and they were rough-looking by then, but still in service.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »

Thank you!

Minor point - that Jim Sands photo was taken in 1968 (supposedly).

Mark (looking for an excuse to have that scheme in 1975)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
Minor point - that Jim Sands photo was taken in 1968 (supposedly).

Mark (looking for an excuse to have that scheme in 1975)

Yeah I used the 1965 re-weigh date as a time reference since I'm not sure how much I trust the dates on those Jim sands photos. too many different dates depending on where they are posted vs the water mark, I would guess the water mark is correct but who knows...

I found this 1976 photo, new image paint, script bleeding through, and a PC green door! would make a cool model...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2848384

Also a 1974 shot of a hopper in script (as per Bryan's comment)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh81024kga.jpg

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 01:17:32 AM »
I have seen Jim Sands photos where the caption date and photo date didn't match, and some where one or the other was obviously wrong (1960 with an ACI label?).

Bryan:  Mine is a plain old 40 ft PS-1, 6 ft door, AND the herald is on the right side, rather than the left, along with the wrong reporting marks.  So, it will go.  I'll keep the DF cars in mind, though, as one with the script herald is a nice variation.

I doubt that the hoppers made it to the Northwest very often.  I only remember seeing one PRR hopper in Pasco, and they had a lot more than the NH.  There wasn't much demand in the NW for eastern commodities that would be shipped in hoppers.
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 02:24:07 AM »
+1
Here's one of the DF PS1s.  I have a color pic of a second car somewhere from the mid 1970s that I can't locate at the moment, but this B&W of a DF with an ACI plate is a good indicator of how well the DFs held up post-NH.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

EDIT — I had more pics than I thought.  Another B&W from  the 1970s of a DF.  Found color pics but not the post-NH pic I'm thinking of.

The fastest way to make one of the DFs is to use the Atlas PS-1 New Haven script herald car as a basis, add the DF triangle and new reporting marks from the latest MicroScale NH freight decal set, either repaint the doors or scrounge a pair from one of the all-brown PS-1 schemes from that same initial release batch, and swap in ASF A-3 trucks.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:45:37 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 02:43:40 AM »
I found this 1976 photo, new image paint, script bleeding through, and a PC green door! would make a cool model...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2848384

That car became CR 60092.  Same rust patterns on the left side.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
That car became CR 60092.  Same rust patterns on the left side.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing that...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
Look out for those 10' IH cars.

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 01:31:04 AM »
Bryan:  Send those pictures to Atlas and, in a year or so, we can both buy the cars off the shelf.  For now, I'll be satisfied with my orange car, as kitbashing one seems like a lot of work for a car that I don't really need.

As for the CR version, were they that short on paint, or were the NH, PC, and CR running an experiment to see how long a steel car would last without being painted?
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »
They have the artwork done.  We'll probably see it the next time the 7-foot door variation is run.

Regarding the CR car, it was in company service by that point.  As for during the PC years, I'm guessing deferred maintenance (other than swapping in a new door) was the primary reason for not getting a repaint.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:15:23 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 03:18:43 AM »
If Atlas does them, I will order one.

CR 60092 might be a good car for MT to do with their graffiti printer.  I'm not sure it could be done with conventional painting and printing.  One might be able to use dry transfers as masks, and start with the rusted sides, then add layers of paint over those.  One of our weathering experts might be persuaded to take it on as a challenge.

The PC's "deferred maintenance" sounds very familiar - see "Milwaukee Road 1970s".  The end result was much the same as well, except that the PC was essential to the nation's economy, while the MILW's Pacific Extension served no real purpose by that time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:23:37 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well