Author Topic: "New Era" paint schemes for the NH  (Read 2440 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
"New Era" paint schemes for the NH
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »
I've been trying to find exact dates for the various kinds of NH boxcar repaints into the block lettering, but my research library isn't that extensive. I'd like to know specifically when the al-black w/ white lettering and orange/white, orange door version of the 40' boxes (the MTL version)  first hit the rails? Or were the all-orange and all-black schemes just randomly painted?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: "New Era" paint schemes for the NH
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:18:25 AM »
+2
40' PS-1 boxcars (Micro-Trains and Atlas models) never were repainted in the black New Image scheme (with red-orange door) or the red-orange New Image scheme.  Some were repainted in the boxcar red Alpert block herald scheme in the early 1960s.  The 40' AAR boxcars (InterMountain's 1937 and Pacemaker models) were repainted in the two New Image schemes as they were sold, refurbished and leased back to the railroad beginning in 1955.  The black scheme and the red-orange scheme were used simultaneously.  But plenty of boxcars retained their script herald scheme, particularly the 40' PS-1s.  The 50' PS-1s were delivered in New Image schemes — all red-orange for the double door version (Athearn model), and red-orange with black doors and sills for the plug door version (Athearn and Micro-Trains models).  All of the 40' DF PS-1s kept the script herald scheme well into the PC era.  The bulk of the State of Maine XIH boxcars (ESM model) were repainted into the boxcar red Alpert block herald scheme in the early/mid 1960s, although a handful retained the SoM scheme well into the PC era.  There was no New Image scheme that was all-black on any of the boxcar classes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
The all-black car referred to is probably MTL #20686 - NH roadnumber 21991.
This car was an error, presumably based upon the photo on page 10 of the NH Color Guide book.
The side of car was in the shade, which made it appear to be black instead of the actual red iron oxide color.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:16:28 AM »
So it is acceptable to have a script herald car on my 1974 BN? 
N Kalanaga
Be well

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:34:58 AM »
So it is acceptable to have a script herald car on my 1974 BN?

Here's a very weathered example with a 1965 re-weigh date.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=79775
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:52 AM »
The all-black car referred to is probably MTL #20686 - NH roadnumber 21991.
This car was an error, presumably based upon the photo on page 10 of the NH Color Guide book.
The side of car was in the shade, which made it appear to be black instead of the actual red iron oxide color.

Hmmmm.... my definitely MTL PS-1 is black, block logo on the LEFT of the single ORANGE door, road number NH 36438 in big numbers. So what do I have?
Anyway, I know the repaints started in 1955 -- I was hoping somebody knew which month they began.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:57:17 AM »
Once again, the ONLY 40' MTL boxcar model that is close to being correct is the Kadee "Original Nine" script herald offering from 1972 along with its numerous re-releases. And the Atlas version with the 7' door is more accurate. Every other MTL 40' New Haven scheme released, sliding door or plug door, steel body or wood body, is a foob. The all-black car is not prototypical outright, as mentioned above.

Unless you have some of the InterMountain limited run AAR boxcars in the black scheme (BLW or Neal's Ngauging) or red-orange scheme (Neal's), it doesn't matter what New Image MTL model you have.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:03:12 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
Hmmmm.... my definitely MTL PS-1 is black, block logo on the LEFT of the single ORANGE door, road number NH 36438 in big numbers. So what do I have?
Anyway, I know the repaints started in 1955 -- I was hoping somebody knew which month they began.
Sorry, you originally stated that your car was all-black, not black with orange door.

Looks like you have this car:

If you look below the dimensional data, you'll see a rebuild/repaint date of 8-55.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:16 AM »
Ryan:  Good enough, although mine is a little cleaner.

New question:  When did they change their reporting marks? And were all of their cars changed at about the same time?  Mine still says NYNH&H, while your picture very clearly shows NH.  Changing mine wouldn't be a big problem...
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:41 AM »
As far as foobs or not, where to buy, etc etc that's not relevant to me - I just wonder if somebody knew the month in 1955 the re-paints -- ANY repaints -- started.
I have a repainting/relettering shop of my own.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
You care about the integrity of the shop date, but you don't care about the fidelity of the model to prototype?  :facepalm:

The refurbishment program started in 1955.  Just go with the shop date on the existing MTL models or on whatever photographs you find of the actual AAR 1937 style PSC (1941) or P-S (1944) refurbished/leased boxcars.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »
Ryan:  Good enough, although mine is a little cleaner.

New question:  When did they change their reporting marks? And were all of their cars changed at about the same time?  Mine still says NYNH&H, while your picture very clearly shows NH.  Changing mine wouldn't be a big problem...

Not sure what you're asking here.  The railroad switched to "NH" reporting marks with the formation of the "Consolidated" NYNH&H (merger of the NY&NH and the Hartford&NH) in the late 19th century.  The "NYNH&H" was used on passenger letterboards and on freight equipment lettering in the early 20th century before the railroad standardized on "NEW HAVEN", but not ever as the reporting marks.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »

Also of note, on this "reprint" reissue of this New Image scheme, the reporting marks and railroad name are TOTALLY incorrect as far as font/style is concerned.  The earlier MTL 20350 (or 020.00.350), while incorrect for the bodystyle with an incorrect red-orange door color, has more accurate lettering artwork regarding the reporting marks and railroad name.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:19:42 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
Jeez, Mr. Inquisitor....
Allied Full Cushioned Trucks were banned from interstate service in Feb 1955. The NH New era paint scheme either had or had not been started by that time. I was only wondering if there was any overlap between those periods.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 10:47:19 PM »
Jeez, Mr. Inquisitor....
Allied Full Cushioned Trucks were banned from interstate service in Feb 1955. The NH New era paint scheme either had or had not been started by that time. I was only wondering if there was any overlap between those periods.

So you don't care about overall fidelity of the model or its paint scheme, but you are splitting hairs about a month of the year.  :facepalm: 
. . . 42 . . .