Author Topic: Connector Recommendations for N-scale Loco-to-Tender?  (Read 988 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
Connector Recommendations for N-scale Loco-to-Tender?
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
I've been using TCS 4 and 6-pin micro connectors between the tender and locomotive in some of my sound decoder installs. They work, but they're a bit fragile, so I'd like to find something just as small (or smaller!) that might be more durable. I like the plug/socket setup used on the later-runs of the Life-Like Mallets, but I have no idea what that type of connector is called or where to find them as pre-wired harnesses. Any recommendations?
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Connector Recommendations for N-scale Loco-to-Tender?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:14 PM »
+1
I roll my own form 0.050" pin spacing male and female headers. Those have precision-machined gold-plated pins which are very reliable.  I buy the 50-pin single-row headers, then I just cut off as many pins as I need for the connector. Then I trim the pins as short as feasible and solder wires to them. Then on the side which will be handled I take some 5-minutes epoxy and flood the soldered area sealing the wires.

Here are the Digikey part numbers: ED8250-ND and ED8450-ND. I just ordered some yesterday. They also make a dual row version (if you need a differently shaped multi-pin connector.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3134
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Connector Recommendations for N-scale Loco-to-Tender?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »
Chris, I have successfully used the robust connection of a micro usb (6 pin).  Tough to solder with a 25 watt radio shack iron but with a hobby iron or @peteski 's favorite- should be a piece of cake for you.

Here is the female which would need some shrink wrap.  The tabs can be snipped off or under the shrink wrap may prove to be a good grip:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-fci/10103593-0001LF/609-4049-1-ND/2350356

And a male (I used a much more primitive SMD version when this was not avaialble):
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/adafruit-industries-llc/1390/1528-1182-ND/5353642