Author Topic: HOn3 Rio Grande Southern First District 1938-1945  (Read 161545 times)

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
Re: HOn3 Rio Grande Southern First District 1938-1945
« Reply #270 on: September 18, 2017, 07:54:13 PM »
Rico should look very cool if you can get all of that in Dave.
Following your thread with interest as I am just starting out in HOn3 after 40 plus years in N Scale and will get to do it in a new double garage but only on the walls above car height, hmmm. Started to assemble some Rail Line box cars, boy lots of very small pieces in the kits.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
Those Rail Line kits are tedious but well designed and produce a very nice car that can run alongside the Blackstone RTR stuff and hold their own.

If you're doing Rail Line you're doing Rio Grande...  Which line or branch are you doing?

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Hi Dave haven't got that far yet.
Two good friends model that area one in HOn3 the other in SN3 and the latter is huge. They started their layouts as models not really planned for operations and boy have we been quick to fix that as I have been operating for 40 years. They are exquisite layouts with beautiful scenery and buildings.
I need some advice from them which I will seek out this Friday when we all hang out as they have a ton of books etc to rummage through.
So lots to learn and take on board.
Been scrounging around to try and obtain some equipment. Think I have been able to purchase enough Blackstone trucks for my new kits along with several packs of Thinfilm decals.
Bill was able to pick me up a new Blackstone K27 and caboose at the Narrow Gauge convention and I am close to obtaining a few more pieces.
Thanks for your interest.
Rod.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2017, 08:53:10 PM »
Hi Dave haven't got that far yet.
Two good friends model that area one in HOn3 the other in SN3 and the latter is huge. They started their layouts as models not really planned for operations and boy have we been quick to fix that as I have been operating for 40 years. They are exquisite layouts with beautiful scenery and buildings.
I need some advice from them which I will seek out this Friday when we all hang out as they have a ton of books etc to rummage through.
So lots to learn and take on board.
Been scrounging around to try and obtain some equipment. Think I have been able to purchase enough Blackstone trucks for my new kits along with several packs of Thinfilm decals.
Bill was able to pick me up a new Blackstone K27 and caboose at the Narrow Gauge convention and I am close to obtaining a few more pieces.
Thanks for your interest.
Rod.
(Attachment Link)

Those Blackstone K-27s are insanely awesome.  I have #461, but she's lettered for D&RGW with the Moffat Tunnel herald.  In my era the RGS had not yet purchased her from the D&RGW.  The C-19s are just as nice.  I wish they'd do a 4-6-0 (either a T-12 or T-19) but they say they have no intent to do one.

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
Yep love those K27's I have #456 weathered in the Flying Grand Herald.
Just picked up a couple of Blackstone box cars on eBay yippee.
Assembly of my first Rail line box car is done just waiting to build a few more and the weather to improve here in Victoria as we hopefully head into summer before I paint.
Now the first is done and I have a fair idea where everything goes the next lot should be a bit faster to assemble.
The following two pics are a bit crappy however here goes.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The first flat car is well underway however I have chosen to use brass wire for the truss rods as I do not want holes showing on the deck when using the fishing line.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2017, 01:36:07 AM »
BLW has a bunch of OOP MTL HO narrow guage cars they found (no doubt while clearing out shelves prior to closing down). Wooden ones, looks like.

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
BLW has a bunch of OOP MTL HO narrow guage cars they found (no doubt while clearing out shelves prior to closing down). Wooden ones, looks like.
Thanks for the heads up however I will stay with the kits I have.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »
+3
Colorado Springs has a new hobby shop full of awesome older stuff and consignment pieces.  For 6 bucks I found this.   The old Tyco sand house was based on a D&RGW prototype (I think anyway...looks similar to Chama or Durango) and at first glance I thought it make make a quick stand-in for the Ridgway sand house. A little paint, sand, and some saw cuts later and it looks okay. Please excuse the dark color of the sand… The glue was still wet. It will dry much lighter. Although meant to be a temporary stand-in, we all know what tends to happen to temporary stand-ins...they tend to be less temporary than planned.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »
Colorado Springs has a new hobby shop full of awesome older stuff and consignment pieces.

Where's that at?  I think I grabbed a flyer at the show, but probably lost it by the time I got to my car.

Jason

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »
Where's that at?  I think I grabbed a flyer at the show, but probably lost it by the time I got to my car.

Jason

He's down on 2017 E. Bijou...Roy's Model Trains.  Hell, I picked up a Colorado Rail Annual on the South Park for 10 bucks!

So, not a lot of parts and new stock, but a true treasure trove of awesome old HO stuff...it was like revisiting my dad's hobby room from my childhood.  He even has a shelf of Ambroid and a shelf of Varney!  Go in with a few fistfuls of cash!  He has N too, but not as much.  There are still a few N scale gems to be had though.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Jason

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »
+1
Nothing tardy about those Dave, they have come out a treat.
Might be worth investigating.
Here's a pic of some more kits I have slowly been working on.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I painted the timber inside with Tamiya white let it dry, a spray of dulcote then a light wash of Tamiya panel line black to hopefully help it look like old grey timber.
I'm happy so far.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »
(Attachment Link)
I painted the timber inside with Tamiya white let it dry, a spray of dulcote then a light wash of Tamiya panel line black to hopefully help it look like old grey timber.
I'm happy so far.
Rod.

Wow, that's fantastic!  Really looks like wood!  I'll have to try that on the interiors of my gons.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
(Attachment Link)
I'm happy so far.
Rod.

Really nice.

What I find really helpful is when the Tamiya Color ID is noted.  Would like to know which white and which black numbers if possible.  There are so many Tamiya colors available...

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #284 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
This is a very different experience than trying to fit a four track mainline onto a hollow core door!

Whose crazy enought to try that??? 

:trollface:
~ Matt