Author Topic: SP's East Portland "Produce Row"  (Read 18039 times)

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +201
Re: SP's East Portland "Produce Row"
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2020, 01:28:33 AM »
+1
In the comfort department along with better light and cupholders, I spent some time crawling on the floor installing an expansion of rubber floor tiles throughout the main aisleway and under the layout in a couple spots where my major circuit and power supply boards are. This will be helpful in the future for signal installation, detector wiring, switch machines and the like.

The main track inspector gives the once over on the completed Blue Point assemblies (putting these babies in will be helped by the rubber tiles as well)...

Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2020, 02:53:14 AM »
And... the Blue  Points are in and adjusted mechanically...whew too many contortions  needed for that! Still need to connect  these to the knobs , but the hard part is done.
Peter

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »
+2
I've  done a number of miscellaneous  tasks over the past couple  of weeks .  The switch throws are completely  done and I've been working on installing  Azatrax  TS2/TS2D  signal detector boards in the Haig area as well as extending  the accessory  bus wires to support  additional  boards and signals at the East Portland junction area with the UP.

I finished  the carving the hull elevator for my waterline  freighter  so it will look at bit better at the river wharf.

I've  also got the first layer of dirt and rocks in for the wharf scene before  l start work on assembly  of the river side bulkhead  wall planks (cut and stained in the egg carton lid shown). I need get everything  in that may be touched by water before I pour the river .

Also been working  on a maintenance  task to upgrade the joints across my removable  staging yard. Following the spirit  of T-Trak ,  I'm  using back  to back adapters for a post I've joint that come apart  easily. The other track stubs will have traditional  joiners and will be held down by a push pin bumper  on the staging side that can be removed  easily  when it's time for the yearly furnace maintenance .

Peter

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2020, 06:14:10 PM »
+2
I made some more progress this weekend  by getting in the rip-rap  along the river bank and some more earth to blend it in. I still need to touch up the rocks a bit with some more washes and set everything  completely  with matte medium. I also got the deck base for the wharf cut to length and width. I will handlay  the rails here and plank everything with individual  boards.

Since I got the staging yard track joints completed , I started on a new roadway bridge, Holgate  Avenue ,  that crosses the yard. In the 50's this was a two-lane multi span  plate girder  bridge . In the 1960's it was replaced  by the  current  four-lane concrete  structure .

The cork road bed in the foreground  is an auxiliary  turntable lead track , the "Back Track" that was used  as a shortcut  to the engine facility  to/from the arrival/departure  yard. On the  layout, this is just a scenic  element, but can be used to stage a full set of Cadillac's (SD-7/9's) or F's.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:21:42 PM by pdx1955 »
Peter