Author Topic: True Scale Coupler Gauge now ready  (Read 1302 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
True Scale Coupler Gauge now ready
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »
After doing a beta test and a redesign, I now have a True Scale Coupler gauge ready for those interested.  It also have a measurement for setting the underside car height for my Standard Coupler Boxes.

And @Ken Ford, the gauge you bought can be easily modified, just reduce the top of the floor height measurement from the .27" it is now to .263" and remove part of the base on the same end to clear the wheels so the gauge will slide under the car.  The gauge can be further modified by adding clearance for the truck axles, but I'm not adding that as to not effect any dimensional stability with the acrylic print.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TVJ5Z5RAR/micro-trains-true-scale-coupler-gauge

Jason

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
Re: True Scale Coupler Gauge now ready
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:10:45 PM »
+1
Jason, when looking at your coupler gauge, I am wondering about it registering on the outsides of the railheads.  Not all N-scale track uses the same rail stock, and some railheads are thicker than others, soooooo...I'm betting it won't work on all of 'em, since some will be wider due to the thicker railheads.

Wouldn't it be more universal to register it on the insides of the railheads instead of the outsides????

Just sayin'....

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »
Jason, when looking at your coupler gauge, I am wondering about it registering on the outsides of the railheads.  Not all N-scale track uses the same rail stock, and some railheads are thicker than others, soooooo...I'm betting it won't work on all of 'em, since some will be wider due to the thicker railheads.

Wouldn't it be more universal to register it on the insides of the railheads instead of the outsides????

Just sayin'....

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

That's a good point.  The guides are actually about the width of the ties so there's not an issue with rail width.  I like to slide the gauge back and forth over the coupler head to get a better idea of fit so they're more like stops, but I could do the same with the guide on the inside of the rail too.

Can't say I had a reason for doing it this way.

Jason

Ken Ford

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
Thanks, Jason - I haven't had a chance to do anything with mine yet!

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
While you're in dimension mode... can you answer this question?

When the TSC in a 1015 style box is mounted at the right height, what clearance is available from axle to bottom of coupler box?  Figure a 33" FVM wheelset.

And, since it looks like your boxes are shorter in height, now how much did you gain in this measurement?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
While you're in dimension mode... can you answer this question?

When the TSC in a 1015 style box is mounted at the right height, what clearance is available from axle to bottom of coupler box?  Figure a 33" FVM wheelset.

And, since it looks like your boxes are shorter in height, now how much did you gain in this measurement?

I have one MTL car that I mounted the normal box and coupler to that matches my gauge.  Measuring off of that here's about what I get in comparison.

My coupler box on the left is .095" tall while the MTL box is .125".

Thin Black line - top of BLMA .050" axle on 33" wheel.

Thick black line - coupler center - .216"

Red box - difference in bottom of coupler box - .003"

Blue box - difference in floor height - .027"

So to try and answer, I get .0369" of clearance for the MTL box to the axle while mine is negligibly more at .0399".

Someone can let me know if I messed up anything.

Jason