Author Topic: Question re Atlas Code 55 Turnouts  (Read 775 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +816
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Question re Atlas Code 55 Turnouts
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
I am locating trackwork for my yard at Dawson Creek and have run into a problem with position for throw wires and motors of turnouts being fouled by lighting strips underneath the upper deck.  There is no way to avoid issues with at least two turnouts without seriously compromising the design of the yard, even with the small footprint of the servos I am using.  Above ground throws are not an option for me.

I have been drilling holes for the throw wires in the centre of the throw bar, between the rails.  One possible solution for this issue would be to offset the throw wire and motor to the hole provided toward the end of the throw bar for the two turnouts in question.

I am curious to know if anyone has powered their Atlas turnouts in this manner, and if so, how well it has worked?

Thank you,

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
Re: Question re Atlas Code 55 Turnouts
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
I've done about 20 Atlas c55 turnouts the way you described, with no issues so far.
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1819
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
I don't use powered switch motors, but I connect my slide switch ground throws with a piece of piano wire through the hole in the end of the throwbar of Atlas Code 55 turnouts.  Works fine.  I don't see any reason why that wouldn't also work well for a powered switch motor.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +943
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »
This is how I've dealt with your dilemma:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40197

I have installed roughly a dozen of these on the layout so far, and operation is flawless. Installation is a matter of cutting a well for the servo in the roadbed and routing about 1/4" additional well in the benchtop. It happens that I'm using XPS foam for the benchwork top, and done that way is a very easy operation.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +628
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
I use tortoises to power all of my Atlas switches. I exclusively use the hold at the end of the throw bar. It works well, it should, it was designed for that. I cut off the end of the throw bar that runs the other direction.
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1896
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
You can use music wire push-rods (in either plastic or brass tube) to offset the switch machine location. Here are some examples.

These are Peco switches and the hole in the end of the throwbar is always used. I'm not sure why there woudl be a difference whether the actuator is located in the center or end of the throwbar. Granted, the Atlas C55 switch throwbars are really floppy and loose, but that shouldn't make a difference as to from where the throwbare is being moved.

In this example the switch machine end is then hidden by the excavator.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:42:11 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"

MEC_FAN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
I've put in about 250 Tortise machines on my layout using the hole on the end of the throwbar, no problem.
MEC_FAN

I love the smell of pulpwood in the morning!!

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +816
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »
Thank you all for your feedback; I appear to found my solution, and I can now proceedd with some confidence that it will work.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca