Author Topic: MTL SW1500 - Anybody make a PnP decoder other than Digitrax and TCS? ...  (Read 2941 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
...which has four function outputs?

I am hoping to make the Gyralites work in the SP version without going through a bunch of gymnastics.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: MTL SW1500 - Anybody make a PnP decoder other than Digitrax and TCS? ...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
Don't think so.....not one that installs in the MT SW1500 like the two you mentioned anyway.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
...which has four function outputs?

I am hoping to make the Gyralites work in the SP version without going through a bunch of gymnastics.

Not that I know of.
But if Digitrax uses the microcontroller and board layout similar to DZ125 or 126 then it should be possible to add 2 more functions. However, some micro-soldering skills are required.  I would have to see a closeup of the board (both sides) to see if that is possible.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
Thanks, gents. I suspected that was the case. Given the discontinuance of the model, the round-tuit to get decoders needs to be sooner than later.

Pete, I'll contact TCS and see if theirs also might be a case of pins on a standard chip not brought out to a pad. I can deal with that. Plan B is Ngineering.com's Gyralight board for each end, which runs both the straight headlight and Gyralight.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »
Thanks, gents. I suspected that was the case. Given the discontinuance of the model, the round-tuit to get decoders needs to be sooner than later.

Pete, I'll contact TCS and see if theirs also might be a case of pins on a standard chip not brought out to a pad. I can deal with that. Plan B is Ngineering.com's Gyralight board for each end, which runs both the straight headlight and Gyralight.

Don't bother - it is not that simple.  You actually have to add components to the board (Digitrax).  It is not intended as a 4-function decoder but they left the unused areas of the board on the PCBoard artwork allowing for some trickery.
. . . 42 . . .

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »
Is the sw1500 really going to be discontinued?
They are advertising a Weyerhaeuser train with sw1500 for release in Dec 2017....
FWIW, my SW's just have standard headlight because they only work in the yards with lights on dim, as they dont go out on the road... but Im guessing you have intentions for local / road service.
Jeff

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:09 AM »
You missed this thread, obviously: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40789.0

...but Im guessing you have intentions for local / road service.

Per the prototype! In the '70s and '80s when they were new, SW1500s were SP's power of choice for locals. They were bought for this purpose, which is why they had Flexicoil trucks and not Type A switcher trucks. Yards got GP7s and 9s, and rebuilt SD7s (1400s), where they didn't have far to go to retrieve them when they broke.

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
Ya, I saw the thread, but the flyer said this is the last run, and then later I see addition releases for it as late as Dec...

Yes, those 1500's were pretty popular for local service around the Wesrern Division... but almost non existent up in my modeled Oregon Div (where they used GP9's and Cadillacs). I do remember the 1500's running in pairs here in So Cal...  Just configure a Mars and a twin sealed beam on the fwd facing end of each and run them in pairs? Thinking back that was fairly common also....
Jeff

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
Were you there in the '70s to witness the solid sets of 10-12 cruds on WC-Taylor transfer drags? Ah, those were the days.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
@C855B

To get back to your original question, no one makes a drop-in that has 4 functions.  BUT, with a bit of effort, you should be able to hard-wire a Zimo MX621, which DOES have 4 functions.  The Zimo is 12mm long by 8.5mm high, by 2.2mm thick.  To use it, you'll have to take out the light board and probably mill back the front of the frame that sticks up behind the current light board a bit.  But it should be doable.  I've never done an MT1500, but I put Lenz Silver Mini's in several LL SW9's, which is essentially the same chassis and the Lenz is about the same size (one mm shorter, half a mm wider and about half a mm thicker).  Front headlight will probably need to be an SMT 603 LED glued or taped to the Zimo.  For power pickup, I tinned the ends of the red and black wires and "pinned" them between the plastic motor housing and the frame.  Never had a problem with power pickup this way.

This is the route I'd take if I really needed those four functions.

John C.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 02:11:58 PM »
I'll back up John in saying that the Zimo MX621 is a great little decoder. I've installed about a half dozen of them now and all work flawlessly with amazing motor control. It also has a very nice gyralight effect. One thing though is that 2 of the function outputs come without pre-attached wires (at least none of mine did). Instead, there are very tiny solder pads that are extremely close together on the other end of the board. I've found it to be a bit of a challenge to attach wires to these pads, although I must say my soldering equipment is not very well suited for that fine of work.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:20:49 PM by tehachapifan »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »
OK, thanks, guys. I've been more or less looking for an excuse to try Zimo decoders given the positive discussions here, so I guess this is an opportunity. I've been a TCS fan for several years, but have been cringing at their recent price jumps. MX621 is currently 60% the cost of a TCS M4, and from what I understand likely a better product.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
MX621 is currently 60% the cost of a TCS M4, and from what I understand likely a better product.

They absolutely are (especially in the motor control dept.)  :D
. . . 42 . . .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
. . .
and from what I understand likely a better product.

I think you will find this to be true.  The only downside is that Zimo's English documentation . . . well, "sucks" would probably be an appropriate description.

Here is a link to the manual, which covers a bunch of different Zimo decoders, including the MX621.

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/Small_Decoders.pdf

If you don't have a preferred dealer, I'd recommend Streamlined Backshop (sbs4dcc.com); Bryan Vianco is very customer-oriented and knows the Zimo product as well as anyone in the US - including Zimo's US distributor.  If you buy from Bryan and then need help setting up a special lighting effect, you'll have an informed human being to talk with (although there are folks here at TRW that also can help).

John C.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
LOL, I actually think that the ZIMO English small decoder manual is actually quite good.  It is pretty thorough and detailed. I find Digitrax manual to be horrible.
. . . 42 . . .