Author Topic: NS GP60s in front of...  (Read 1234 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
NS GP60s in front of...
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:20:41 AM »
I'm NS stupid. So like, concerning the new NS GP60s, is it protypically legal to pull a string of roadrailers with them? What did NS used to pull with them?

Thanks
Buffering...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: NS GP60s in front of...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »
That would be a pretty perfect use of them until, and I'm a little rough on this, the mid to late 2000s.

They were pretty much purchased for that type of service: TOFC, COFC, and Roadrailers.

As they aged, they got bumped to other services by newer power (like the 1 quintillion Dash 9s they own), but I still remember seeing them pretty regularly on that type of service well into my time railfanning NS.

The only thing you might find trouble with is schemes. I think the "horse head" scheme started showing up around the time they started getting bumped. So, if you have non-horsehead ones, you are totally in business. If you have the horse head ones, well, I'd go looking at photos just to make sure.

Or ask @Robbman, who knows all about NS.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
A GP60 would be right at home on a roadrailer. NS doesn't seem to be too picky powering the roadrailers.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:35:11 AM by bnsfdash8 »
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »
Not only is it prototypical, Pentrex sells a cab ride DVD of a NS GP60 pulling Triple Crown Roadrailers!

"Ride at the head of Norfolk Southern's unique new trailer train, the Triple Crown #252, as it travels the rugged and scenic line called The Rathole. You'll be in the cab of GP60 #7149 to experience the 138-mile line from the crew's perspective.  As the train makes its way north from Emory Gap, Tennessee to Danville, Kentucky, you'll see such famous locations as the tunnels at Nemo, the high bridges across the New and Cumberland Rivers, and the deep cuts that gave the Rathole its name."

http://pentrex.com/rhcab.html

I have the video - it's a good one.

Chris
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Yep, that was the whole point of the NS GP60, and Conrail B40-8. Both were intended for fast and light rail service, mainly road railer and TOFC. Weren't ATSF GP60Ms used the same way?

Someone with more knowledge than I might be able to shed light on the intended purpose of the proposed CR GP60Ms before the order was turned into MAC80's.

(personally, I would love to know what type of cab they would have used - CR had been ordering isolated cabs on their SD60Is at the time, which would make me think these would have been GP60Is)
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
When I had delivery routes in Hagerstown MD, I would regularly see them on intermodal/roadrailer trains.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »
Yep, that was the whole point of the NS GP60, and Conrail B40-8. Both were intended for fast and light rail service, mainly road railer and TOFC. Weren't ATSF GP60Ms used the same way?

Someone with more knowledge than I might be able to shed light on the intended purpose of the proposed CR GP60Ms before the order was turned into MAC80's.

(personally, I would love to know what type of cab they would have used - CR had been ordering isolated cabs on their SD60Is at the time, which would make me think these would have been GP60Is)

I read once it was NS, or CSX, that changed the order after the split (someone correct me if I'm wrong) . I've often thought about doing a NS GP60M simply as a what could have been.
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
For doing a NS GP 60 M I would definitely use the 60-I cab.In fact now that it has been mentioned I may just do one or two for my GVR.  :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »
I read once it was NS, or CSX, that changed the order after the split (someone correct me if I'm wrong) . I've often thought about doing a NS GP60M simply as a what could have been.

That order was for more SD80MACs which NS hadn't gone to AC power yet, and deferred to SD70s in CR paint but NS specs. The CSX portion of the order became the SD70MACs that were ordered in CR paint but CSX specs.

I do find it quite hilarious that for a RR that didnt want AC power 18 years ago now has all the SD80MACs, buying all these SD90/43MACs for rebuild, and even rebuilding Dash 9-40Cs into AC44C6Ms. In that regards Santa Fe and Norfolk Southern were a lot alike in their view of AC motors.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:07:22 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...