Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/11/16  (Read 10373 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Weekend Update 12/11/16
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
IMHO if you take the time to add the grabs and stirrups nothing commercially available can touch what is possible with this material. 

Thanks for the pics.

I do like HDA but there's still a lot of warping in even those two smaller cars.  After the coupler pockets, I'm going to get back to freight cars and see if there's a way to minimize the issues.

Jason

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
+5
Sometimes, unexpected joy.

The locos below just arrived from eBay.  They're stunning and beautiful, and run superbly.

(Yes, they are foobies..... Santa Fe never bought SD60Ms).

But the unexpected story:   When I first saw the eBay listing, I couldn't believe it.  The listing said "I have more than 10 of these, each with a different number".  I thought, "it can't be possible for someone to be selling >10 of these locos at his very good price, as well as the many other locos he had for auction, also at good prices. I thought "if it looks too good to be true, it must be too good to be true, who could possibly have that many of these locos, are the eBay buyer positive feed backs authentic?".

Finally, after viewing multiple other auctions/feedback that he had on eBay, with the many other pictures and nice variety of locos all claiming to be custom-painted.... then finding via Google a couple of local newspaper articles online from years ago where they did short story about him retiring, then about building a nice layout that was occasionally open to the public ........... I decided to take a chance on a Buy It Now for one of the Santa Fe SD60Ms.

And of course, as soon as the loco arrived and it was perfect, and knowing his locos were finally starting to sell fast on eBay, within 15 minutes I went back and bought the last two Santa Fe Warbonnet SD60M's that were left.

The modeler in question, while it is just my conjecture, was reaching the time in his life when down-sizing is appropriate, and the time had come to share the model railroad legacy he'd built up over many years. I wish to sincerely thank him for these 3 locos, for the passion, detail,and joy that he put into these locos and their many siblings that he had built..... I'd only wished I'd known who he was before. These three locos now mean something special to me and I will cherish them.... because of the man who had lovingly built them, and now is passing them on to the next generation.

All the best,

John Sing
Sarasota, FL, USA
December 10, 2016

http://www.pbase.com/atsf_arizona
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:01:45 PM by atsf_arizona »
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

powersteamguy1790

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
Nice find John. 8)

Have fun running them.

Bob

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
+7
Milwaukee Road Thrall built (1956) Caboose

Castings are from a master built by Vince Kotnik. Most of the parts came from a Fox Valley rib side (low) bay window caboose with drop equalized trucks. The curved handrails needed to be formed from wire and the ends were slightly modified.

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
+6
Finally painted/decaled a TrainCat gondola  :|

I did have the stake pockets attached, but they were too large so I popped them off. Looks like later cars had them removed.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »

Another gorgeous model Bill, you make it hard to not want to model the Milwaukee Road (not that I would need much of a push).

I do believe a steel running board would be more appropriate.

Jason

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »
I've been working on my FVM GP60 detailing it up to match it's current state today.
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »
+1
I think I got a new version of the TrueScale coupler pocket ready to be printed.  Not quite as clean of a design as the previous one, but the counter sink for the screw required that I beef up that area of the lid.  It will look the exact same from the end of the car though.  It passed the automated testing, but I'm worried it could fail a manual print test, we'll see.

I'm going to get more of my money's worth this time and draw two other pockets that will have more coupler swing and have those printed in the same file.

Jason

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 07:13:21 PM »
Another gorgeous model Bill, you make it hard to not want to model the Milwaukee Road (not that I would need much of a push).

I do believe a steel running board would be more appropriate.

Jason

Yes it would be.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
A few finishing touches to the new Dairy Queen at Oakville.  I'm particularly pleased with the lights in the parking lot and the shrubs around by the drive through...

You ought to be particularly pleased with the whole shebang .

Going to try for a couple shots of the backside for next week...

You won't be the first that has mooned us , or was that the A board .
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:30:07 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
Finally painted/decaled a TrainCat gondola  :|

I did have the stake pockets attached, but they were too large so I popped them off. Looks like later cars had them removed.

Looks great! Have you given thought to filling in those stake pocket holes? I ended up using CA. Also, are you going to cut those decals between the wood boards?
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »
@PiperguyUMD ,

I see you have a hi short hood for the GP30.How about offering a combo hood and cab with the correct brow set back? I would be in for at least 3 of them.  :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
A few finishing touches to the new Dairy Queen at Oakville.  I'm particularly pleased with the lights in the parking lot and the shrubs around by the drive through...

Nice work!! Might I suggest a light dusting of a light gray or earth tone over the parking lot to age it a little more? It looks a tad too dark and shiny.

Sometimes, unexpected joy.

The locos below just arrived from eBay.  They're stunning and beautiful, and run superbly.

Nice fleet! Makes me want to paint-up some fantasy/foob units in superfleet colors! ;)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:07:26 PM by tehachapifan »

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 08:10:24 PM »
Thanks Richie and Russ, and I agree on the black - the photos really bring it out, it's not really that bad...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »

Castings are from a master built by Vince Kotnik. Most of the parts came from a Fox Valley rib side (low) bay window caboose with drop equalized trucks. The curved handrails needed to be formed from wire and the ends were slightly modified.

Is that casting available for purchase?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B