Author Topic: HO Speaker recommendations for Tsunami 2 Steam  (Read 954 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
HO Speaker recommendations for Tsunami 2 Steam
« on: December 03, 2016, 08:53:25 PM »
I'm planning to install sound into a Bachmann 4-8-4 Niagara..  with the size of the tender, I have plenty of space for a speaker.

Looking for recommendations for a good quality speaker(s?) with good responce..

I tried the Soundtraxx 40×28.5 and it was a bit too wide.  I think I could do a 23mm megabass..

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks ~Ian
~Ian

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: HO Speaker recommendations for Tsunami 2 Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:56:36 PM »
I'd do two or four 13 x 18 "sugar cube" speakers.  If two, wire in series for a 4-ohm load.  If 4, wire two sets of two in series, then wire the two sets in parallel to give 8-ohm load.  Streamlined Backshops has custom enclosures for doing this sort of thing, and I think you'll be very happy with the final result.

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/sugarcubespeakers.aspx

You also might want to check out various speaker test videos on You Tube by Laurie McClean, who has done a LOT of speaker comparison - he has tested some of the high bass speakers along with sugar cubes, etc.

John C.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:05 PM »
As an N scaler, I roll my eyes when my HO friends lament the lack of space in their locomotives :| For an HO install. I think that I would try to put a speaker in the smokebox, where it belongs. In larger scales, it seems much more apparent that the sound is coming out of a tender rather than the locomotive, and I think supplementing tender sound with a smokebox speaker would go a long way to solve that issue. Just my two cents...
Otto K.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
My main interest is N scale as well, and I agree, sound should come from the locomotive..  When I get ready to start this, I'll check the locomotive and see if I can stuff a speaker in the smokebox.

~Ian

As an N scaler, I roll my eyes when my HO friends lament the lack of space in their locomotives :| For an HO install. I think that I would try to put a speaker in the smokebox, where it belongs. In larger scales, it seems much more apparent that the sound is coming out of a tender rather than the locomotive, and I think supplementing tender sound with a smokebox speaker would go a long way to solve that issue. Just my two cents...
Otto K.
~Ian