Author Topic: Fox GP60s are ariving in N  (Read 5215 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
Re: Fox GP60s are ariving in N
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 12:16:27 AM »
The spartan cab grabs are also skewed.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
Not all that difficult to add nano LEDs to have functioning ditchlights - I did this on my GP60Ms, using a larger SMT LED.  The nanos would make it a piece of cake.  Use a DN146IN...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

TinyTrains

• Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
At least on the SSW units, there are no ditch lights because they have beacons. Unfortunately the beacon is not translucent, nor does it penetrate the cab so it cane be lit.

SSW7771

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
Got my SSW GP60 in the mail this week. It is a great looking model, a little disappointed in the roof beacon. But that is an easy fix. Has any one installed an ESU LokPilot decoder in one of these? It appears to be about the same size as the decoders recommended on the instruction sheet that came with the loco.
Marshall

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »
Wow! That roof beacon does look ... strange.
Bill McBride

TinyTrains

• Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »
Wow! That roof beacon does look ... strange.

Yes, they need some gray or silver paint around the base. Too bad no one makes beacons anymore.

Scott

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 03:34:31 PM »
Yes, they need some gray or silver paint around the base. Too bad no one makes beacons anymore.

Scott
I would paint the square part of the base dark gray and perhaps a silver band just above that. That said, at least one source does make a suitable beacon...one which also requires some painting as can be seen here, mounted to a separate base on my LL GP60 bash...

This beacon is currently available from Details Associates and comes with 2 other types of beacons, all of which are molded in the transparent yellow color you see above (still need to paint the silver base). I only wish it was a tad more orange in color and perhaps not quite as transparent.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:41:11 PM by tehachapifan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
+1

This beacon is currently available from Details Associates and comes with 2 other types of beacons, all of which are molded in the transparent yellow color you see above (still need to paint the silver base). I only wish it was a tad more orange in color and perhaps not quite as transparent.

Tamiya clear amber paint is usually available in hobby shops. Using it on those beacon domes will give you much more intense color.  And you can drill into the dome from the bottom to simulate the rotating reflector (or to install a 0201 or 0402 size orange LED and light them up!).   :D
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
Santa Fe Phase I and SP Phase II speed lettered are at MBK.   I can let you guys know 'cuz I already got mine from Chuck.   :)

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 01:42:23 AM »
I would paint the square part of the base dark gray and perhaps a silver band just above that. That said, at least one source does make a suitable beacon...one which also requires some painting as can be seen here, mounted to a separate base on my LL GP60 bash...

Hey Russ, tell us more about the beacon.  What Detail Associates part is it?  And what did you use for the base? 

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »
Hey Russ, tell us more about the beacon.  What Detail Associates part is it?  And what did you use for the base?

Let's see....the beacon base is from the BLMA #92 locomotive antenna stands set. Interestingly, the smaller antenna stand located just behind the A/C unit is from a Sunrise Enterprises beacon stand set that seemed too big for an SP antenna stand, so I swapped their positions and purpose. The beacon itself is from Detail Associates #8222 "FLASHERS-Western Cullen, Stratolite & Xenon" set.

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2016, 12:39:05 AM »
Thanks.  When you said 'base' I actually thought you were referring to the silver bottom part of the beacon.  All clear now, I think I have several BMLA left somewhere.  See, the thing is I thought no one was producing beacons in N nowadays. But here I find out that they're just calling them 'flashers'.  Doh!  Thanks for the inside scoop, I  noticed that part# never seems to have a picture associated in online catalogs.  I'll have to order some.  Did yours come looking like that or did you do some painting?

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »
I "painted" the lower part of the light with a silver Sharpie as they are all yellow.

Yeah, Details Associates actually has a really great selection of N scale parts that I didn't really even know about until the last couple years. They don't seem to have a website but their stuff is available here and there and with pics in at least one case (can't remember if we can list retailers here or not). They also have really nice headlight and single and double gyralight castings in plastic that I've used on a few models, including the headlight on the above model.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:53:41 AM by tehachapifan »