Author Topic: kato tgv yria how to attach engine to car  (Read 665 times)

ibm650

• Respect: 0
kato tgv yria how to attach engine to car
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
Gorgeous train, how do you attach engine to car, just little piece of plastic sticking out.  It came without instructions, I called kato usa, sorry that is a kato japan train, we have never seen one.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: kato tgv yria how to attach engine to car
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »
Usually the method to join this type of train cars is faiirly obvious. The "couplers" or "drawbars" usually snap together and can also be pulled apart again.  I don't have that specific set but I do own several bullet trains made by kato and Tomix and that's how they work.  Maybe post a photo of the the end of each car here so we can see what it looks like?

Are you sure there are no instruction? All my bullet trains came in book-type cases with foam cradles and there is an instruction sheet included with an exploded diagram of the model, parts list and instructions on how to assemble the cars together.  Maybe the instructions are tucked under the foam cradle?

Also, when you say "engine" you mean the cab units on the ends?  Those on the model are usually unpowered and the power unit (with the motor) is in a car in the middle of the train. They all should have the same coupling system.  But again, that is from my experience with bullet-train models in general - not that specific set.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:31:46 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

C62-2

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:14:54 PM »
+1
It's a different mechanism than they use on the Shinkansen models. You need to hold the end car tilted up when you connect them. There's a diagram on the Kato Japan website showing how to connect them. http://www.katomodels.com/product/assy/pdf/10-1325_[TGV_Lyria].pdf

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »
It's a different mechanism than they use on the Shinkansen models. You need to hold the end car tilted up when you connect them. There's a diagram on the Kato Japan website showing how to connect them. http://www.katomodels.com/product/assy/pdf/10-1325_[TGV_Lyria].pdf

Well, that explains it clearly.
Shouldn't the booklet in that PDF file should also be included inside the model's case?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"