Author Topic: Soon from Keystone Details- 60' Arch and Harriman style MT replacement roofs  (Read 925 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +650
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Keystone Details is gauging interest for a Keystone Customs project idea for a fellow   :ashat:. Design in still in proveout and may be available within a couple weeks.

Design is based on the roof for the MT 60 Foot RPO car.

Vent types for each are not yet available (need further research).

Arched style can be viewed here:   https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZVGXKG3GY/mt-60ft-arch

And Harriman style can be viewed here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UNUEGWCTC/mt-60ft-harr?optionId=60604870
Please DO NOT purchase unless you want to participate in fitup tests.

Additional roof lengths in both designs will be available for other MT cars soon.

Comments?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:38:12 PM by Lemosteam »

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Thanks for doing these John!  I already placed and order for one to test fit for you.  I look forward to the horse car/Bagg-RPO roof and paired window coach roof if this project goes that far.  Some harriman style coaches and Bagg-RPO's would look great on any transition era SP/UP pike!

trainpixsnet

• Respect: 0
That is awesome! I would be VERY interested in the Harriman-style roofs for the different MTL and other Heavyweight passenger cars.

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
John,

What a GREAT addition for the N scale modeler/builder! While they are mostly seen on SP equipment, they were also on UP, Rock Island and IC cars as well. Making available different "vents" allows the modeler to be VERY specific and accurate to the prototype. I look forward to their release and the follow up roofs as well! Thanks in advance!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
Have you considered going the other way, clerestory roofs to fit the WOT Harriman cars?

Because the WOT cars are the shortest really nice passenger cars currently available, there is more interest in them than just modelling the actual prototype.  And, when they cane out, there was some grousing that WOT did not at least provide clerestory roof parts for buyers to swap-out.

Lemosteam

• Crew
Have you considered going the other way, clerestory roofs to fit the WOT Harriman cars?

Because the WOT cars are the shortest really nice passenger cars currently available, there is more interest in them than just modelling the actual prototype.  And, when they cane out, there was some grousing that WOT did not at least provide clerestory roof parts for buyers to swap-out.

@Maletrain I am a PRR modeler and want to spend most of my personal design time on PRR projects for my needs, unless someone wants to invest further in my time.  These were a quick off-shoot request from @Norway2112 on models I was already working on for MT cars, hence the arch roof; the Harriman panels were a quick add.  I do not have any WOT models to measure or design clerestory roofs from as such.

Not trying to discourage, as I may be able to get to something at a much later date.  As you might expect, I have many, many PRR projects in my pipeline.

Hope you can understand.

Maletrain

• Crew
"Hope you can understand."

I do.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Just to throw this out to any Shapeways designer, there is also a need for roofs appropriate for the Pullman cars so as to loose the air ducts, effectively backdating the cars to their early years as well as cars that became Pullman Tourist cars or were used as Troop sleepers.  While a few cars had air ducts when converted because of these cars previously had AC, most did not.  I believe that there is a market for such, though I don't know off hand just how great... hopefully this will yet be another area where we see N-scale improve!!!

GhengisKong

• Crew
If you are still considering making these, I am a buyer.

Lemosteam

• Crew
These designs will be available once the prtint length issues are resolve.  Vents for these will be available soon.