Author Topic: The Ballast Cleaning Train Thread  (Read 9949 times)

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
Re: The Ballast Cleaning Train Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
+1
August 18, 2016

I have not done much work, on the BCT.  Since, I still need to find a "core" for the Digger wheel assemblies.

I have finished the required Difco car for this project.  In fact, I have finished four...

The cars are very light-weight.  So, I used some of my over-ordered Atlas Flatcar weights, to add some heft to these cars.

One is only needed for the BC train.  But, I will need at least two more for the other upcoming projects..

Jerry G

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
While they are rare and hard to find, whats wrong with these:

http://www.blwnscale.com/walthers-difco-dumpcar.htm
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Really nice work Jerry.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 10:14:13 PM »
While they are rare and hard to find, whats wrong with these:

http://www.blwnscale.com/walthers-difco-dumpcar.htm

BLW has been SOLD out of these for at least a year or so...   

I appreciate the help!!

Jerry G.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:16:28 PM by fcnrwy23 »

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 10:21:36 PM »
Really nice work Jerry.
Rod.

Thank you! 

But, thanks must also go to Damian Kostron, who did the original construction article (N-Scale Magazine - July/August 2004)

Jerry G.

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
I have a damaged 89' flat I got in a lot and was thinking how to create one of those supply cars. I like your approach on the container. Very nice!  8)

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:11 PM »
+1
I have a damaged 89' flat I got in a lot and was thinking how to create one of those supply cars. I like your approach on the container. Very nice!  8)

Jmarley76,

The container is a Deluxe Innovations 40 ft model.  I shorten mine to 30 ft to fit the flatcar.
The handrails are Plastruct #PLS 90681 handrails.
The water tank is a section of 1/2" styrene tube stock.  I added square stock strips to the lower sides, the ribbing is .010 x .040 strips, pre-curled.  You glue one end, after the cement cures, than glue down the opposite end and cement the rest..

Jerry

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »
+2
I finally got some work done on the BCT.

I have been trying to find a "Styrene" ring of sorts, for the "frame" or Armature of the Digger wheel assemblies.  To make construction of the thing a lot easier.
I have found that, Styrene tube stock does NOT come ANY Larger then 1/2" in diameter.

I finally did found something that was close to what I had in mind.  Coin storage tubes...

They are made of clear styrene material, so it will be easier to assemble with my styrene stock pieces.  I ended up using the bottom portion of the tubes. These gave me a nice circular disc.
I then wanted some added thickness to the edge of the ring, by adding a thin ring of .040 styrene, cut from my own stock.

The buckets' of the wheel are being made from .375 "C-channel" stock.  Glued to the perimeter of the frame.
The lower skirting and framework, will be attached from the bottom of the frame of the unit.  After, I get the 2nd wheel done and test fitted.
I will detail the inner portion of the wheel.
I will than disassemble the whole thing, prime, than paint and do the finally assembly of the unit...

Above photo is of the 1st wheel and skirting being test-fitted.

Jerry G.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:00:56 PM by fcnrwy23 »

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
+1
More progress on the Digger wheel assemblies.   This is what I mean by, "everything clicking" and "running on all Four cylinders"!  :D :D

I got both wheels assembled and the skirting semi-attached.

This week I can start to detail the internal mechs on the wheels and start to add details to the rest of the train. (cabling, hydraulic lines, etc...)

Jerry G.

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »

That's just awesome! I like your solution for the digging wheels; who would have thought, a coin tube.  8) 8)

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »
That's just awesome! I like your solution for the digging wheels; who would have thought, a coin tube.  8) 8)

I didn't either at first!
I just ran out of options to get two (2) rings of styrene of the diameter that I needed. As I learned, tube styrene doesn't come in large enough diameters. 
So, I started to look elsewhere for styrene.   I notice that styrene is used for the "reel" that a roll of Scotch tape, is dependence from.
I looked at other uses for these "reel-like" items.  I then began to do online searches for anything with "styrene" in its' make-up. 
I found the coin holders on Ebay. (with the search word- "styrene")
It has been a three-month search. 

As I have always done, when one project gets put on hold, I just jump to another.

Jerry G.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
Oct. 23, 2016
A LOT of work was accomplished on the BCT this weekend! :D :D

I have most of the unit, assembled.  With just a few detail items left to add.
My main problem was to build it, but design the parts and sub-assemblies to make it easy to disassemble to prime and paint, an later for repairs, if necessary.
I have used more brass rod and screws in the building process.  It took time to Tap-out for the screws. since styrene is very soft.   If I tighten them up too much, I have to start over.

I am shooting to finish the BCT by early November (read Trainfest).  If I don't get the "Lighting" done by that time, it wont be a big deal...

Jerry G.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
+1
October 30, 2016

Work on the main components of the  CB train is pretty much done.    I added the final details, Wednesday Night and  gave them ALL a shot of Primer Gray, Thursday.

This morning I gave everything a coat of Morency Orange...

After I let IT's Orange coat cure for a couple of days.  I will put the train together...

Jerry G.

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
Almost there! 8)

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
+3
November 6th. 2016

Work has progress at a very fast rate on the BCT.    I finished the "Detail" painting yesterday and decaled the train, this morning.

And then it was off to the paint booth for it's final coat of Testor's Dullcote....

The BCT isn't going to have the light show, that the Rail Grinding Train has.  So, I tried to give it as much detail (structure pieces and decaling) as I had on hand, to make it interesting..

I plan on letting it cure for the rest of the day.   I  will probably start assembling the train, tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.   I still have "lighting" to install.  And I want to "test run" it before this weekend..

Jerry G.