Author Topic: The Ballast Cleaning Train Thread  (Read 9953 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: The Ballast Cleaning Train Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
+1
N-Scale Magazine is always pleading for new articles too. Few years back they published my technical review of the FVM Hiawatha set.  It was in 2 parts: 10 page locomotive dissectio, and 10 page passenger train evaluation and tuning.  That is a 20 page article!

If you think you have too much info, or too many photos, nobody is forcing you to use them all in the article. You can trim the less important info or photos out of it.  When I wrote the Hiawatha article I didn't use all the photos I took during the process.
. . . 42 . . .

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2017, 11:04:48 PM »
N Scale Mag is the one I would send the articles to.

They published three for me, about 12 years ago... :D

Jerry

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
Most model rail mags pay so little per page you really need look at your article as just helpful and informative info you'd like to spread around, not a money maker.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
+1
Most model rail mags pay so little per page you really need look at your article as just helpful and informative info you'd like to spread around, not a money maker.

Was there even a mention of writing articles for a Model RR magazine as a valid source of income or a money-maker?  I don't think anybody's expectations are that high.  But OTOH the payment I received for my 20-page article was much higher than my expectations!  I would have been happy with just a couple-year subscription as a payment.  To me just seeing my name in print was high enough of a reward.
. . . 42 . . .

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »

I'm Surely, NOT in it for the money.  I would have to do many of them.(articles).

This hobby for me is Relaxation[/glow].    :D

Jerry

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
+3
Jan 15th, 2017

Well work is progressing right along.  (Only on the Weekends,  :( Right now!)

But, we are about 75% done...

View of the CP Rail version.

This is the First Time the train has been "Fully Assembled". :D

Electronics in the Power Car (digger wheels) has been done and IS working!  8).  But, I Forgot to paint the Fuel tank  :facepalm: Ahhh! 
The Conveyor Car, just needs some detail parts.  :D  and she'll be set!
But, the Supply Car has some finish issues,  :facepalm:.  So, I had to sand-down the top coat and reapply another coat of the Clear.
After decaling and the final Dullcote, I hope to have the Water Tank, Port-a-Potty made and add the last few detail parts.  Still, need to add the Electronics (decoder and lights).

Jerry G.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
+4
Jan. 22, 2017

The 2nd Ballast Cleaning Train has reach it completion.  It has been an interesting three weeks.  I have upgraded a few things on this 2nd copy and streamlined a few others.

Just have a few "Detail" pieces to install and will have this train, on its way to Canada by Wednesday..   8).

I will take a week or two off.

And than get back on schedule with my other projects.   :D

Jerry G.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:40:11 PM by fcnrwy23 »

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Update June 26th, 2017

Last Saturday Night in Pittsburgh, While the RGT got it's fifteen seconds of fame..
1st Place in the "Rolling Stock Non-Revenue" competition, at the NSE convention. 
The BCT was on the "Display" Table.

I had wanted to put the train, into the contest. But, my friends insisted that, that would cut my votes.  So, the BCT sat-out the event. 
I plan on taking it to the next possible NSE convention.  2018's will be in Salt Lake City.  But, the one after 2019 is rumored  ;) to be in the Midwest.

As with the RGT, I do not have any personal photos of the display, since my camera has some issues during the previous three days, of rail-fanning (Cresson, Gallitzin and Horseshoe Curve), before getting to the Convention.
Still it was nice, to display the BCT anyway.

Jerry G.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 09:24:48 PM »

Last Saturday Night in Pittsburgh, While the RGT got it's fifteen seconds of fame..
1st Place in the "Rolling Stock Non-Revenue" competition, at the NSE convention. 
The BCT was on the "Display" Table.

I had wanted to put the train, into the contest. But, my friends insisted that, that would cut my votes.  So, the BCT sat-out the event. 
I plan on taking it to the next possible NSE convention. 

You couldn't 'have entered both trains in the same category - it was against the rules of the contest.  That limited my entries too (as I could have entered more than one item in couple of categories).  I spoke to Terie and Dick about this stating that I thought it was not the best way to run the contest and Dick at the welcome reception asked the attendees to vote whether to allow more than one model per person in the same categories. Majority (but not a large one) voted to keep the rules as they are (one model per category).  I am involved in putting on other successful contests and we do not have such limitation. But I was outvoted.
. . . 42 . . .

NSEGeorge

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »
hey- 
both of the trains were amazing in person.  It was way cool to see them in person after following them here for so long.
Congrats on the win!

We used to have a 'complete train' category, and for reasons I can't remember, dropped it last year. I spoke with Terie (who runs the contest), and we are bringing it back in Salt Lake. We are still reviewing all of other the rules for next year.

Great entries across the board, but it is weird how they come in. This year there was a lack of passenger cars and steam locomotives entered, but a fleet of great dioramas.  Thanks to everyone who participated.

NSE George

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:57 PM »
Peteski - I didn't catch the rules, but that was mentioned to me later.
 I "voted" for keeping the current rules.  (I had the experience of having one person, present a collection at every contest. Back some years ago, during my NMRA days.  Guy from Northern Illinois would show. And after awhile, a lot of folks just stopped entering).
I did feel a bit bothered by displaying the trains' effects, It could be taken as a unfair advantage.  But, without the effects, the train may have been a little hard to understand..

NSEGeorge -  I had the opportunity to get to examine, every entry up close.  I assisted with getting photos for the Power Point presentation, when the awards are given.
Keith took the photos and my task was to move the entries from their display positions, to the photo setup and back again.  There were a couple that I envied..  :)

Jerry G.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:19 AM »

We used to have a 'complete train' category, and for reasons I can't remember, dropped it last year. I spoke with Terie (who runs the contest), and we are bringing it back in Salt Lake. We are still reviewing all of other the rules for next year.

Thanks for listening to the feedback from the NSE members.  As far as categories go, I also recommended adding structures offline and structures online instead of just having diorama category. We have had these categories at the Winterffest mini-convention at the Springfield show for years and they are popular categories.

As far as dropping and adding categories to a contest, that happens at the contest I assist in (vehicle  models).  For example we have a motorcycles category and nobody (or one person) enters a model. SO after couple of contests we dropped. And of course next year bunch of motorcycle models showed up. we ended up putting them in our miscellaneous category.  The following year we reinstated the motorcycle category.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 05:32:49 AM »
+1
Peteski - I didn't catch the rules, but that was mentioned to me later.
 I "voted" for keeping the current rules.  (I had the experience of having one person, present a collection at every contest. Back some years ago, during my NMRA days.  Guy from Northern Illinois would show. And after awhile, a lot of folks just stopped entering).
I did feel a bit bothered by displaying the trains' effects, It could be taken as a unfair advantage.  But, without the effects, the train may have been a little hard to understand..

When you enter a model contest (or any contest) you do whatever it takes to make your entry be the best and stand out from the others. That is how you win.  So if you have a special lighting effect you should be compelled to use it to your advantage. It is not unfair at all.  It  is about winning after all. If you don't care about that then the "display only" table is a good place to place your models.  :)

As far as limiting the number of entries, I think that if a modeler is *THAT*good and *THAT* prolific to be able to take all 3 awards then they should have them. They won fair and square. The other contestants should  take that opportunity to improve their modeling skills.  :)  IMO, contests are all about having the best entries winning (not about trying to please all entrants).  I suppose the limiting the entries to 2 per category per person woudl be better than one.
. . . 42 . . .

NSEGeorge

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
Noted about the structure categories. Easy to make that distinction, and we will add that. Certainly there were plenty of dioramas and structures that would qualify for both those categories as entries.

As to two models per categories, we will discuss and consider. The reason the rule came down is that we had a person bring 10 years of models to one contest, and took all the prizes in three different categories. It was disappointing for a lot of people, so we limited. I think the only other way we could do it would be to limit to work done in the previous year and depend on honesty to get by, but I know I have projects that are 5 or 10 years old that I might finish one day.  :D

Any thoughts are welcome. We are already working on the Salt Lake convention, and now is the time to change things up.

NSEGeorge

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »

Great entries across the board, but it is weird how they come in. This year there was a lack of passenger cars and steam locomotives entered, but a fleet of great dioramas.  Thanks to everyone who participated.

NSE George

Hello George,

Would you have any update or ETA on when the photos and official results of the 2017 NSE Convention model contest will get posted here or on the NSE website?
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/