Author Topic: Saw the new BLI boxcar with mule sounds today... (Eval on Page 8+)  (Read 11582 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: Saw the new BLI boxcar with mule sounds today... (Eval on Page 8+)
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Ian,  only way I could see the sore thumb was to check couplers in your photo.

Here's a question about when the animals would be heard. Given all the noises a train in motion would make,  engines,  exhaust,  brakes,  wheels,  couplers,  whistles and bells,  how noticeable would animal sounds be on a moving train anyway, especially one on a mainline coming by at track speed? Seems most likely way to hear the noises would be at a siding,  either when the train was stopped or the car being positioned for loading cooling or feeding.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:40:51 PM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »

Hmm... where did the
Rapido coupler come
from...?

:D :trollface:

Ahhh... you noticed.. 

~Ian
~Ian

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »
I just noticed that the trucks on this beast are coil-elliptical!  Was that common for stock cars?

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
I just noticed that the trucks on this beast are coil-elliptical!  Was that common for stock cars?

Hmm... only the most
comfortable trucks
for the livestock...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »

Common for Pennsy, which is the prototype this model is (loosely) based on.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »

Imagine a Steam Locomotive decoder where Chuffs, Air Compressors, Headlight Dynamo, Misc Noises.. Are all different MOOS....  That's basically how it works.. and the Cam controls the speed since the 'Decoder' isn't addressed in the consist... 

I'm not sure if there are unlock-able DCC Sounds or not..

But is the sound board just a self-contained standalone sound effect generator, or is it actually DCC-aware where you can program and access it as a DCC decoder?
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2016, 11:57:24 PM »
But is the sound board just a self-contained standalone sound effect generator, or is it actually DCC-aware where you can program and access it as a DCC decoder?

I'll check in the next few days..  If it's anything like the HO version, it might be DCC aware, but you can't really do anything with it.

As I recall and my memory is fuzzy.. this was several years ago.. we were main line programming a locomotive on address 03 and the stock car was in the same block and it started talking.. 

I'll get back to you on this.. ~Ian
~Ian

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2016, 12:06:12 AM »
Ian,  only way I could see the sore thumb was to check couplers in your photo.

Here's a question about when the animals would be heard. Given all the noises a train in motion would make,  engines,  exhaust,  brakes,  wheels,  couplers,  whistles and bells,  how noticeable would animal sounds be on a moving train anyway, especially one on a mainline coming by at track speed? Seems most likely way to hear the noises would be at a siding,  either when the train was stopped or the car being positioned for loading cooling or feeding.

I doubt you'd actually hear much in real life as a train is passing.. But, lIke sound on a locomotive, the sound here is portrayed as if you are there consistantly with the stock car.  And I'm guessing as a train is moving.. slack action, rocking, ect.. the animals will be annoyed/ excited and make noise.. if you were a hobo riding in the next car, you'd hear it.

The novilty here (as you said) is more in switching, yard, industry areas...

~Ian
~Ian

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2016, 12:45:39 AM »
Stock pen/feedlot sound effects?
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
Stock pen/feedlot sound effects?
OK, as long as it doesn't smell real. 

Seriously, that sort of effect could be much more effective.  Rather than one car looping around the track mooing, your stockyard moos.  Steel mill sounds for the steel mill.  Downtown bustle and traffic downtown.  Modern computers being what they are, you could have hour long files with occasional random noises.  You could even include narration, for tours or use at shows (historical details about the train leaving the station, or the town represented on the layout).  Sort of thing you might expect in a museum layout.  For the price of a few mooing boxcars, you can buy a small digital sound mixer with multiple output channels and have at it.  Sound quality will likely be much better as well, since you are not restricted to a speaker/amp that will fit in an N scale boxcar. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »
Seriously, that sort of effect could be much more effective.  Rather than one car looping around the track mooing, your stockyard moos.  Steel mill sounds for the steel mill.  Downtown bustle and traffic downtown.  Modern computers being what they are, you could have hour long files with occasional random noises.  You could even include narration, for tours or use at shows (historical details about the train leaving the station, or the town represented on the layout).  Sort of thing you might expect in a museum layout.  For the price of a few mooing boxcars, you can buy a small digital sound mixer with multiple output channels and have at it.  Sound quality will likely be much better as well, since you are not restricted to a speaker/amp that will fit in an N scale boxcar. 

Here is a link to a company who makes basically what you are describing..

http://www.fantasonics.com/store/store.html

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
They look short to my eyes.

Like, the body has been shortened to cover for the ride height.

Has anyone measured one?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
...Like, the body has been shortened to cover for the ride height.

Has anyone measured one?

Hold still, wil ya. Hard to get an accurate reading with you moving so much!
Peter Pfotenhauer

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
+3

George

These are the best trucks. I know these trucks. I'm friends with them. I only surround myself with the best trucks. Trust me, these are the best trucks you will ever get. They will make your models great again.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:24:20 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2016, 05:40:29 PM »
I inquired a week ago as to why they decided on closed slats and stirrups.  Here is the reply I received today.  Posted without further comment, although I did respond to the email, addressing the points in this response and more.

The primary project was the version with sound.   There was no way to create a good sound chamber with open slats.   
Regarding the stirrups, I don't know.  Honestly, I guess you would call it an oversight.  We will be sure to improve that type of detail as we make more N scale models.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net