Author Topic: Saw the new BLI boxcar with mule sounds today... (Eval on Page 8+)  (Read 11588 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Saw the new BLI boxcar with mule sounds today... (Eval on Page 8+)
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »

The primary project was the version with sound.   There was no way to create a good sound chamber with open slats.   

Um, really?!  So the small air-tight plastic speaker enclosure/chamber they mounted inside the car is not good enough?!  Then needed the car as a second enclosure?  Really?  :?  :|  That is some interesting piece of engineering.   :facepalm:

Just to prove the point, can someone who owns this car run it with and without the body and let us know if there is any appreciable difference in sound quality?
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2016, 12:17:50 AM »
Um, really?!  So the small air-tight plastic speaker enclosure/chamber they mounted inside the car is not good enough?!  Then needed the car as a second enclosure?  Really?  :?  :|  That is some interesting piece of engineering.   :facepalm:

Just to prove the point, can someone who owns this car run it with and without the body and let us know if there is any appreciable difference in sound quality?

I can confirm the sound frame with Atlas body sounds exactly the same as the BLI body..  The only difference might be a slight tinnyNess of the Atlas body due to vibration from the loose fit.. 

I'll double check tomorrow though.. maybe do a quick YouTube Video..

~Ian
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:22:12 AM by learmoia »
~Ian

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2016, 12:20:05 AM »
+1
These are the best trucks. I know these trucks. I'm friends with them. I only surround myself with the best trucks. Trust me, these are the best trucks you will ever get. They will make your models great again.

LOL!!.. +1

~ian
~Ian

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2016, 12:34:21 AM »
These are the best trucks. I know these trucks. I'm friends with them. I only surround myself with the best trucks. trustBELIEVE me, these are the best trucks you will ever get. They will make your models great again.

Here FTFY  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2016, 01:35:10 AM »
These are the best trucks. I know these trucks. I'm friends with them. I only surround myself with the best trucks. Trust me, these are the best trucks you will ever get. They will make your models great again.

I've also heard that they're YOOOOOOGE!
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:11 AM »
I've also heard that they're YOOOOOOGE!

The couplers are HYUUUUGE..   'No problem' with the Trucks on my model..  :trollface:

Back on topic.. the couplers are the MT/Accumate hybrid.. there is some adjustment to the coupler box for truck interference.. Evwn then, There isn't much play in truck swing around the coupler box..

~Ian

~Ian

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »
So holes in the floor or a floor made of connected holes wouldn't work moo-better ? Works for steam engine snorts , should work for bull snorts . The speaker could be in a box that is smaller than the inside walls of the cattle car by 1/8th of an inch or so . The box outside could have images of hostage bovines printed on it . From the outside seeing them through the slats would look fairly good as the difference between the outer cattle car sides and the speaker box with a gap would give a 3 dimensional look , unlike the passengers on plastic in the old American Flyer fluted shorty passenger cars . The box is open on the bottom and the sounds go through holy floor . A standard cattle car from any manufacturer should be able to be refitted with this method I think .

Richie Dost

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »
Although I'm no sound engineer and have somewhat limited experience with sound decoders, it appears to me that there is no need for holes anywhere to "let the sound out". In fact, judging by the results of the LokSound decoder I installed in an SD9, air-tight speaker enclosures in combination with an un-opened shell renders really great sound. My assumption is that this causes the sound to resonate even more and also produce lower tones.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
Although I'm no sound engineer and have somewhat limited experience with sound decoders, it appears to me that there is no need for holes anywhere to "let the sound out". In fact, judging by the results of the LokSound decoder I installed in an SD9, air-tight speaker enclosures in combination with an un-opened shell renders really great sound. My assumption is that this causes the sound to resonate even more and also produce lower tones.

Russ, a speaker needs to be in an enclosure. If it is just placed in open air the the air movement caused by the speaker cone on the front side will be canceled by the air moved in the opposite direction on the rear side.  That is a very simplistic explanation but it gives you an idea why enclosing a speaker in an airtight enclosure dramatically improves the sound quality.

But as far as taking a speaker in an enclosure and placing it inside the model then that will work ok. That is because the model itself is not truly airtight so the sound vibrations will find the way through the open areas. Also, the plastic body will be vibrated by the sound waves inside and will transfer those vibrations to the outside air.  But it doesn't hurt to have some additional holes (or have the speaker face some opening to maximize the sound quality.
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
+2
I imagine a room full of old guys with vests decorated with RR pins as the design committee. 

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
+1
I imagine a room full of old guys with vests decorated with RR pins, wearing engineer's hats, as the design committee.
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2016, 09:07:26 PM »
I imagine a room full of old guys with vests decorated with RR pins, wearing engineer's hats, as the design committee.

Hmm... are you making
fun of my engineer's
hat...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"