Author Topic: Paint Accumulating On Airbrush Nozzle  (Read 3703 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Paint Accumulating On Airbrush Nozzle
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
I've just started using a "new" Badger 200 airbrush that has the fluted end nozzle.  I'm seeing paint accumulating in this nozzle.  When it gets to a certain point, the spray picks up some large droplets from the nozzle that end up on the piece being painted which is a real bummer.  I try keeping it clean with a Q-Tip but it comes back very quickly.  My old 200 had a solid nozzle and it didn't accumulate paint.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Any way to fix it?

Doug

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Paint Accumulating On Airbrush Nozzle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
What paint? Acrylics are known for this problem because they dry so quickly. In my large-sprayer work there are extenders that all but solve the issue; others here will have to advise on extenders for model paints, or other techniques.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
I'm about to start airbrushing again, after an 11 year break (flooded out of New Orleans by hurricane Katrina). Back then, I used Floquil and Scalecoat II solvent paints and hardly ever had the problem. I hated using acrylics - even ruined an airbrush when I was called away to take a phone call and the acrylic paint dried in the brush so bad that it couldn't be saved (at least, I couldn't find anything to clean it.) The only time I'll use acrylics now is if the paint color I need isn't available in a solvent based paint (NO acetone-based paints!).

Hmm... speaking of acetone,
Kiz won't even let me paint
my nails...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
Depending on what paint you are using you may need to lower the PSI. I use Vallejo Air and now run the PSI at 18 to prevent the tip build up.

TomO

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »
Depending on what paint you are using you may need to lower the PSI. I use Vallejo Air and now run the PSI at 18 to prevent the tip build up.

TomO

Interesting.  I use Vallejo Air as well, sprayed at 18psi, and still have the problem.  Due to where I have to do the painting, use of solvent based paints isn't an option.  And, I as I mentioned, I didn't have this issue with my old 200 that has the solid nozzle, using the same paint and same psi.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the nozzle itself but can't think of what it could be.  I keep it well cleaned so there's nothing to trap the paint as it comes out of the nozzle.  Maybe it's a crappy design or I just got a bad one.

Doug

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
Like I said, it's been 11 years since I used an airbrush so I may be wrong, but have you checked the needle to see if it's slightly bent. I think that can cause paint buildup.

Hmm... I just checked
my airbrush, and the
needle is "L" shaped...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Genetk44

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »
Interesting.  I use Vallejo Air as well, sprayed at 18psi, and still have the problem.  Due to where I have to do the painting, use of solvent based paints isn't an option.  And, I as I mentioned, I didn't have this issue with my old 200 that has the solid nozzle, using the same paint and same psi.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the nozzle itself but can't think of what it could be.  I keep it well cleaned so there's nothing to trap the paint as it comes out of the nozzle.  Maybe it's a crappy design or I just got a bad one.

Doug

I tend to spray ModelAir at about 12-15psi. I keep q-tips and windex on hand to keep the tip clean as I'm spraying...using various airbrushes and various tips.

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »
Like I said, it's been 11 years since I used an airbrush so I may be wrong, but have you checked the needle to see if it's slightly bent. I think that can cause paint buildup.

Hmm... I just checked
my airbrush, and the
needle is "L" shaped...

Yup, that's one of the first things I checked.

Doug

MarcB

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
Fluted end nozzle? Is that the crown tip they sell? If not go get yourself the crown tip.  I had the same problem and the crown tip resolved it.

Genetk44

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
Is this what is being called a " fluted tip" or a " crown tip" ?

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:34:23 PM »
+1
Keep a jar of alcohol handy and dip the tip into it during a session.

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »
Here's what mine looks like right after a spray session.  The paint continues to accumulate on the flutes until it creates a big blob.  The spray then pick up large droplets from this blob and deposits them on the work piece.  I continually have to use an Xacto knife to clean the flutes after each session. 

I think I'm spraying at the correct psi for the paint I'm using and the paint is thinned to correct viscosity for spraying.  I have no idea why this happens but I sure would like to find a way to stop it.

Doug

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »
Do you still have your older airbrush? Will the older spray regulator fit on the new airbrush?

If nothing else it will determine if the problem is from the Castellated regulator...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 01:05:08 AM »
Here's what mine looks like right after a spray session.  The paint continues to accumulate on the flutes until it creates a big blob.  The spray then pick up large droplets from this blob and deposits them on the work piece.  I continually have to use an Xacto knife to clean the flutes after each session. 

I think I'm spraying at the correct psi for the paint I'm using and the paint is thinned to correct viscosity for spraying.  I have no idea why this happens but I sure would like to find a way to stop it.

Doug

The accumulation is not just on the top part - it extends all the way down to the bottom of the nozzle. What air pressure do you use?

Is the needle at the same position as when you are spraying?  It looks to be opened pretty wide.  Maybe you could solve the problem by using a larger nozzle which won't have to be opened as wide to spray the same volume of paint.
. . . 42 . . .

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
The accumulation is not just on the top part - it extends all the way down to the bottom of the nozzle. What air pressure do you use?

Is the needle at the same position as when you are spraying?  It looks to be opened pretty wide.  Maybe you could solve the problem by using a larger nozzle which won't have to be opened as wide to spray the same volume of paint.

In the spray session I mentioned, I was spraying Vallejo Air paint at 18psi.  Regarding the position of the needle, that position gives a spray pattern width of about 1 inch at a distance of 8 inches from the piece.   I could close it down a bit more and see if that helps.  I don't have any other nozzles, with the exception of the one off the old 200, that I could try, unfortunately.

Doug