Author Topic: Digitrax AR1  (Read 1935 times)

leftlane45

• Respect: 0
Digitrax AR1
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:27 AM »
I am having problem with my layout involveing the AR1 installed on a reverse loop. I have installed as per the instructions but when the Loco crosses into the loop it does not reverse but jumps back and derails.
Any input would be helpfull and appreciated. I have used the Digitrax help desk to no avail.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
Re: Digitrax AR1
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »
Have you tried to adjust the sensitivity with the little potiemeter? Also could your track gaps not be big enough?

Adios,
Wyatt

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »
Replace the AR1 with a Tony's Train Exchange auto reverser

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:56 PM »
+1
good advicd .. but maybe not not required .. you can make it work OK by making sure you have set the sensitivity up properly. Also, change the current trip on your booster

http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB781/ar1-auto-reverser-trip-current-adjustment/

http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB781/ar1-auto-reverser-trip-current-adjustment/

and

http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/product/AR1/

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:28 PM »

Our club layout has two Ar1's and they work flawlessly. It took a great deal of time, due to poor manuals and lack of help from mnfgr., to get them set right, however.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:53:43 PM »
Our club layout has two Ar1's and they work flawlessly. It took a great deal of time, due to poor manuals and lack of help from mnfgr., to get them set right, however.

Carl

I  have 3 of them on my layout .. 2 work fine .. 1 I could never get quite right .. I suspect because it was near the end of the bus about 40' from the booster .. I replaced it with a solid state one . .

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 12:22:27 AM »

Excellent advice. I had an AR1 failure completely take down my layout. I'd recommend going with a solid state system.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

leftlane45

• Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:35:25 AM »
Thank you all for the good advice, i will try all recommendations and let you know the outcome.
Thanks again

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
Does this engine have a decoder in it? Jumping back is characteristic of a DC engine crossing the gap with an auto reverser. AR's (nobody's) will work with a non DCC engine.
Martin Myers

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Does this engine have a decoder in it? Jumping back is characteristic of a DC engine crossing the gap with an auto reverser. AR's (nobody's) will work with a non DCC engine.
Martin Myers

You think he might be running a DC engine on DCC power using the zero-stretching address 00?  That is an interesting thought.
. . . 42 . . .

fcwilt

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 12:07:01 AM »
Martin Myers

That thought crossed my mind as well.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
You think he might be running a DC engine on DCC power using the zero-stretching address 00?  That is an interesting thought.

Yep,
Only an analog engine would "jump back" when polarity is changed. And only when zero stretching would an analog engine "think" polarity is changed. Without zero stretching it would not ever move to the gap.
 A decoder would continue in the direction it has been told to run no matter the phase. Worst case it just stops because power has been interrupted.
Auto reversers don't work with analog engines because reverse loops are handled differently with DCC than DC. DC reverse sections require matching polarity ahead of the engine. With DCC we swap phase right under the engine.

Martin Myers

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
He didn't mention whether the loco was DC or DCC. Everybody assumed that since it is a DCC layout, the loco was DCC. If that is the reason for this problem then no matter which brand reverser is used, the problem will persist. The only solution is to  . . . install a decoder in that loco.  :)
. . . 42 . . .