Author Topic: Any issue pairing a sound loco with a non-sound loco?  (Read 630 times)

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +776
    • PRR N Scale
Any issue pairing a sound loco with a non-sound loco?
« on: July 04, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
Is there any issue pairing a DCC sound loco with the same DCC loco without sound?  Will they run in sync?  Some sounds delay the loco starting.  Perhaps they need to be run in a DCC consist to get them to move together?  Any thoughts appreciated.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1999
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Any issue pairing a sound loco with a non-sound loco?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
Since the decoders are different it would be the best to speed-match them (same way you speed-match any MU lashups).  When the decoders are both in STOP state then the sound decoder is simply doing its thing (like starting the diesel motor, etc.). In my experience, if there are any delays for the loco to start moving (with sound decoders), those are simply set as a non-zero acceleration setting (CV3), and if there is a delay in stopping then it is a non-zero deceleration setting (CV4).   If you set those CV on the non-sound decoder to match the sound decoder that should work.  But if the sound decoder in question adds some other type of a delay before the loco starts moving or stops then it seems that perfectly matching it to a non-sound decoder will pretty much be impossible.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"