Author Topic: Did old Atlas/Samhongsa 2-8-8-2 have brass tender trucks?  (Read 895 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Did old Atlas/Samhongsa 2-8-8-2 have brass tender trucks?
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
I'm considering getting some and modifying them so they can be used for all-wheel pickup.
Does anyone have one of these old bruisers, who could check to see if the actual truck frames are brass?

Thanks.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
Re: Did old Atlas/Samhongsa 2-8-8-2 have brass tender trucks?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:23:11 PM »
I'm considering getting some and modifying them so they can be used for all-wheel pickup.
Does anyone have one of these old bruisers, who could check to see if the actual truck frames are brass?

Thanks.

Max,
They're plastic, one-piece frames with metal, verrrry wide tread wheels.

I removed mine when I got my engine and replaced them with Buckeye three-wheel trucks, which is what ran on the UP, so...I have a brand-new, unused set if you're interested in them.

If so, let me know and I'll give 'em to you since I have no use for them.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Did old Atlas/Samhongsa 2-8-8-2 have brass tender trucks?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
Thanks Bob.
No, if they aren't brass, I can't use them. 
But I appreciate the information and thank you.

Brass tender trucks are nice because they have more appropriate sideframes and you can cut them in half, splice them back together over a strip of PC board with an insulating slit in it, and then attach thumbs to run up into the tender floor so they work like all-wheels-live Kato trucks (once you put Kato or other wheelsets in them, that is).