Author Topic: Another cool cheap Chinese building  (Read 3431 times)

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
Re: Another cool cheap Chinese building
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
Low windows?  Where's the door in?!   :facepalm:

Probably use two panes of one of those arched windows in the front as a door...

If it really has to have one...  :trollface:

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
pages and pages of buildings on the site.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
Thinking about this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outland-Models-Train-Railroad-City-Classic-Tall-Building-Grand-Hotel-N-Scale-/172202701250?hash=item281814b1c2:g:RKwAAOSw8vZXMzdF

Apparently they're 3-D printed.  Certainly economical way to fill up a city block...  I'd be interested in a report on how easily the fairly coarse looking details can be improved before pulling the trigger, though.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »
Thinking about this one...
<see above>

Apparently they're 3-D printed.  Certainly economical way to fill up a city block...  I'd be interested in a report on how easily the fairly coarse looking details can be improved before pulling the trigger, though.

Lee

Yeah, that model looks pretty rough in the photos. :scared:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
I think I heard from someone who got one of those that it does indeed look kinda rough.

It seems there are two different varieties by that company. The ones like that that look roughly 3D printed, and the other ones that look injection molded. Those look good, but the 3D stuff? Not so much.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »
+2
Ed--I think the building in your original post would be a good candidate for carving in some simple lines to make it look like large stone block construction.  You could make short work of that with an X-Acto blade and straight edge.  Much easier that carving brick detail or cutting brick sheet to go around all of those windows.  You might also consider removing the vertical window pane spacer in the lower sashes as that would make it look even more North American.

It also looks like it wouldn't be too tough to create a taller structure by cutting off the first floor of a second kit and stacking the remainder on top.  You could also find a use for the one story part elsewhere.

And you can't beat the price.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:46:27 PM by Roger Holmes »
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:56 AM »
FINALLY broke down and bought one of their kits. Here's the kit I purchased:

So it arrived very fast (from China) in this slender box. Upon inspection, everything was in good condition. It's fairly simple to assemble. I was able to dry fit all the parts together easily. I'm not sure if this has a wax coating since it is 3D printed; I am debating letting it soak in the Bestine as a precaution. One side is very shiny, the other rough (maybe irregular is a better term) from the printing. I will report back after I sand and paint it up.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
...I'm not sure if this has a wax coating since it is 3D printed; I am debating letting it soak in the Bestine as a precaution. ...

I wouldn't do that, you don't know what the resin is. The Bestine soak is verified for a known process from a specific make and model of 3D printer. Bestine (heptane) is a fairly aggressive solvent, and if you use it with the wrong resin, you may very well end up with a jar full of mess.

If you think you're dealing with a comparable process wax, try something a little more conventional such as Goo Gone. If that works, if you have bits you can spare, then is the time to try the heptane.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
yeah
there are 2 levels of Quality with these Kits.... the big hotel Lee is referencing is a bit rough...  the smoother buildings are cleaner.

both versions snap together nicely....

to be honest I have yet to see a finished version of these (painted)....

I am assuming the flat clean surfaces will take paint...  the molded brick surfaces could require a bit more refining on the end-users part...

I just ordered my second and third of these....  I will definitely take my time (this time) on preparing the brick surfaces....   maybe digging them out or cleaning them up.

I also agree some Walthers Roof details would help these...   but....  they are economical and good for backdrop buildings.....

in fact...   kit bashing them into 3D flats for use on city scene skyboards could be an option as well...

Eric

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »
Sounds like an item printed  on a filamant-based 3D printer. The shiny side is the side on the bottom of the printout (sitting against the machine's flat base).  You should be able to see the telltale lines of the filament in the item as it was deposited while printing.  If that is the case then no wax was used and no cleaning should be needed (or just dish detergent and water cleaning).
. . . 42 . . .

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
That's it, you can see it underside of the roof panel. Glad I don't need Bestine...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 10:58:54 PM »
Ed--I think the building in your original post would be a good candidate for carving in some simple lines to make it look like large stone block construction.  You could make short work of that with an X-Acto blade and straight edge.  Much easier that carving brick detail or cutting brick sheet to go around all of those windows.  You might also consider removing the vertical window pane spacer in the lower sashes as that would make it look even more North American.

It also looks like it wouldn't be too tough to create a taller structure by cutting off the first floor of a second kit and stacking the remainder on top.  You could also find a use for the one story part elsewhere.

And you can't beat the price.

I just saw this. That's a great idea!

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 04:22:02 PM »
Here it is with a coat of primer red:

Still need to glue the roof down, but otherwise, looking good.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
+4
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

jmarley76

• Crew