Author Topic: Atlas U25b With Loksound Micro  (Read 1383 times)

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
Atlas U25b With Loksound Micro
« on: June 18, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
+5
Hey all,
  Just uploaded a short video with one of my Atlas U25b's with a Loksound Micro installed. I just upgraded to the new Full Throttle version which allows you to throttle up before moving the loco along with a few other cool features I'm trying to get a handle on. Sorry for the somewhat shoddy I-Phone video.
/>Bob

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: Atlas U25b With Loksound Micro
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
Looks and sounds great! Nice install and I also love the replaced long hood door look! :o

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
Beautiful work and great sound!

I was just looking at my Atlas C420s and U25Bs to see which would be easier to stick the Loksound micro in.

Do you have a photo with the shell off you could post? Also, which speaker did you use?

Thanks!
Bill McBride

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:24:24 PM »
+1
I almost expect a big black plume of smoke to come out once its kicks over...

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »
Thanks. I've done a half dozen Loksound installs in Atlas locos and this was the toughest. The U25b shell is narrower than other GP's and SD's plus it's also thin so I couldn't sand as much off the inside. I ended up milling the frame so the decoder sat at a pretty good angle. I've since started removing the shrinkwrap on Loksound decoders and slightly filing the edges which does help some, but I don't think I'll try another U25 till hopefully ESU comes out with a smaller decoder. The speaker is a Knowles Fox which is no longer available but there are other comparables out there.

Bob

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
Bob,

Nice job on the install. I am amazed that you were able to cram the decoder in. I too am waiting for ESU to release their "new" small size sound decoder. I read somewhere that it will be 8cm wide, boy that would fit into just about any n scale diesel. Not sure it will be out this fall as they had posted on their website, but I think I will be patient, not my style, but maybe this time.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

wmcbride

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:52:05 PM »
Bob,

That was a hard install. I was measuring ny U25 shell's internal width and wondering how you did it. The answer is: you did it with great difficulty but did it well since it sounds great.

An 8mm-wide LokSound decoder will make all the difference.

Bill McBride

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »
Looks and sounds great!

That Full Throttle thing is really a big step forward.

I also love all the ancillary sounds too.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Excellent job on a tough shell/chassis.

I've decided to put a moratorium on any more diesel sound installs until ESU comes out with its long-rumored smaller sound decoder.  I've heard from a number of sources that this is "real" but given how long it took ESU to finalize the Atlas S-2 board, it's not going to happen tomorrow (which gives me an excellent incentive to work on my layout scenery instead of putting sound decoders in all my diesels!).   I hope ESU is at the National Train Show in Indy so I can try to weasel information out of Matt Hermann!

John C.

wmcbride

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »
Exactly, John!

I just finished grinding a chassis (and nervously) a shell. It's no small feat as you well know. The smaller decoder is really needed.

It would be nice if Atlas redesigned their chassis to the 6-pin standard but that would be quite costly.

Bill McBride

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »
I hope ESU is at the National Train Show in Indy so I can try to weasel information out of Matt Hermann!

John,
  If you're a member of the ESU Yahoo group, then y ou've likely seen this, but just in case, Matt responded to someone asking if ESU was going to be there:

Quote from: Matt Herman
Hi Guys,

ESU will working with Streamlined Back Shop at the National Show. I will be there and there will be Full Throttle Locos on display along with other products.

I have a lot of business to attend to with the OEMs at the NTS this year and thought it would be better to network and not be tied to a booth this time.

SBS will be in booth 224. I’ll be there often, but will be also out and about with other dealers and in OEM booths.

Best Regards,
   Matt Herman
   ESU LLC

Looking at the Streamlined Back Shop site, they will be at Booth 224 for those that want to try to pin Matt down.:D  Matt says ESU will be releasing a steam version of the Full Throttle  sounds in summer or fall.  Ask him to make sure your favorite locomotives/whistles are included.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:40:39 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566