Author Topic: Decoder for new Kato TGV Lyria  (Read 1094 times)

gdmichaels

• Crew
  • The Accidental Collector
  • Respect: +26
    • N Scale Database
Decoder for new Kato TGV Lyria
« on: June 06, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
Just received my set.  Got the shell off the engine (need to remove a plastic diaphragm first!) and was happy to see an NEM 651 light board.

Now - to choose a decoder.  I have had luck with a Digitrax DZ126IN in my Fox Valley engines, but the TGV seems to have more complicated lighting.  Perhaps a DZ146IN is needed, but I suspect not as the DZ146IN has some extra wires in addition to the 6 pins and Kato's TGV only needs the 6 pins.

Any recommendations?

gdmichaels

• Crew
    • N Scale Database
Re: Decoder for new Kato TGV Lyria
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
The DZ126IN worked fine.  Unfortunately, it needs to be installed "upside-down". 

Usually trains that accept a NEM651 decoder expect that Pin-1 will be on the right if you are looking at the decoder from above with the pins oriented "up".  This includes Fox Valley and Bachmann engines.  This engine, however, expects Pin 1 to be on the left which means the decoder must be turned over.  The pins are soldered in such a way that if you install it this way it will be canted up and away from the mechanism.  However, you can bend it a little and it will easily fit under the shell even if it is sticking up due to their being plenty of space inside the shell.

The controller works great, but the light in the dummy engine will be perpetually on in white/forward mode unless it also gets a decoder.  Fortunately the DZ126IN is pretty cheap.

One small quibble with the model is mine came missing one draw-bar.  I will be contacting Kato customer service (which is always excellent) to get a replacement.

The engine runs very nicely and the detail on this set is excellent.  I cannot run the entire set yet as I am missing one drawbar, but for European Passenger set fans, this 10-unit set is going to be a winner. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
If the model has the standard NEM651 6-pin socket then all it should need is a standard 2-function decoder to work properly.  In the typical push-pull consist the F0F will be wired to the headlight and F0R will be wired to the red marker lights.  For the dummy unit on the other end you should be able to use a function-only decoder (and save few bucks), but those do not come with NEM651 connector. They only come in a wired configuration.

You mentioned more complicated lighting - are there any additional lights in that model besides the headlight and red marker lights?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

gdmichaels

• Crew
    • N Scale Database
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »
By more complicated I meant the red AND white led's (as opposed to just a white one like I see in most engines).  I am guessing the red one is the 'red marker light'.

Thanks for the tip on the function decoder.  I think I have a couple of TL1's from Digitrax lying around.  I can probably figure out which of the 6 pins accepts which of the 4 wires from the TL1.

It was kind of annoying to have to put in the decoder upside down.  I wasted a good 30 minutes trying to program it the other way.  I was honestly about to give up when I flipped it over and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't melt.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
Yes I called the red LEDs marker lights (or End Of Train lights).  Like I said, electrically they simply are wired as rear headlights (so they illuminate when the train is traveling in reverse.

As for the 6-pin plugs, fortunately the way the pins are assigned, plugging the decoder in backwards will not damage anything. It just won't work as expected.

As far as the function-only decoders go, IIRC by default the function outputs are assigned higher function numbers. You will have to remap the functions to be activated by F0F and F0R.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"