Author Topic: A chance to save a layout....  (Read 1396 times)

Trainmaster247

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
A chance to save a layout....
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »
I recently received an email pasted below (names and phone numbers removed) giving me a chance to if i help dismantle a layout get any parts of it I want, i have yet to receive pictures but as soon as i do will post them here. So the big question is should i take it?

Here is the email:

Hi, ----- - Occasionally the museum passes on to us requests for removing an existing

HO train layout from someone who no longer wants it because of the space it takes up. This

request is from a lady whose husband recently passed away leaving a very large layout in the

basement of their house, telling me that in return for removing the layout by cutting it into

pieces that would fit through a doorway and into a dumpster, you could keep whatever was

on the layout. I have pictures showing some nice structures and an excellent timber trestle

and lots of rolling stock and engines. This would be a hard, dirty job to cut up the layout with a

power saw, but there is the possibility of gaining more material for your project. The house is

in -------. Our museum has no interest in this project and would like to pass on it.

If you are interested or have any questions, feel free to give me a call at ------.

There is no rush on this project but I am giving your group the first shot at it.  ----

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
Re: A chance to save a layout....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
It may help anyone who might be interested if we knew the general location of this woman and her husband's layout :)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Trainmaster247

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
It is the north west subirbs of chicago. I am was looking for input with this but if anypne wants to help i wpuld be open to it. I wont ebbsaving any large sections of the layout things such as rolling stock engines buildings and hopefully some track.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:10:52 PM »
Okay I misunderstood the initial post. sorry for that...

I say go for it... It sounds like she has no real sentimental attachment to it (with the letter basically saying its yours if you get it out of here) so there should be no issues with you doing as you see fit with whatever you are able to salvage.

I guess the question you should be asking yourself is do you need what you're likely to get? and do you have the ability to store it without it becoming a burden...

Perhaps a visit to asses the situation (and the vintage of the track/equipment) and proceed from there...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Trainmaster247

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:57:54 AM »
That is true, i am waiting on the photos of it as they are coming snail mail and also finding some people to help out in exchaneg for some items. Thankfully my grandparents have a van so i may be able to slavage full sections of the layiut.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
Recently participated in an a similar endeavor in my area (SE PA). Unfortunately for me, an HO layout (I'm N). Guys who were with me did well. I was able to claim tools and such though and a few cars of a certain type/era/RR that interested me for possible weathering practice.