Author Topic: N scale decoders  (Read 807 times)

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
N scale decoders
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »
Would one of you be kind enough to suggest decoders for the following locomotives? I am using TCS ones now. Also are most of these "plug and play" for easy installation?

Atlas GP-15, decoder ready
Atlas GP-9
Kato SD-40 and SD-40-2

Thanks, in advance.

Barry

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: N scale decoders
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
+1
Hi Barry,
I've installed decoders in all of those models. I prefer TCS because of their excellent warranty. Here are the decoders I've used (and the TCS link below shows the same):
Atlas GP-15 = ASD4
Atlas GP-9 = ASD4
Kato SD-40 and SD-40-2 = K1D4

https://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Customer_Info/decoders%20compatibility%20list/Atlas_N-Scale.html

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
+1
Atlas GP-9 = ASD4

Note that if the GP9 is the older, non DCC ready then you need the TCS CP-GP two piece decoder.

Your GP9 box may say "Decoder Ready", in which case the ASD4 is the correct one.
The most positive way of telling is to remove the shell and see if there is one, long PC board or two smaller ones on each end of the chassis.  The former will be the ASD4 compatible and the latter the CP-GP compatible.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Note that if the GP9 is the older, non DCC ready then you need the TCS CP-GP two piece decoder.

Your GP9 box may say "Decoder Ready", in which case the ASD4 is the correct one.
The most positive way of telling is to remove the shell and see if there is one, long PC board or two smaller ones on each end of the chassis.  The former will be the ASD4 compatible and the latter the CP-GP compatible.

I have an Atlas GP7 that says it's decoder ready, but it has the 2 piece PC board. What gives?

Hmm... when it comes to
bananas, not Kiz...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
I have an Atlas GP7 that says it's decoder ready, but it has the 2 piece PC board. What gives?

Hmm... when it comes to
bananas, not Kiz...

Sounds like someone swapped mechanisms, ie bought new locomotive, swapped new mech for old mech, stuck back in box and resold.  If you have 2 piece board, you will need TCS GN-GP.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
I bought the loco on eBay, and I didn't know it was supposed to be DCC ready. So I don't feel too bad. Thanks.

Hmm... never buy termites
on eBay...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »
Sounds like someone swapped mechanisms, ie bought new locomotive, swapped new mech for old mech, stuck back in box and resold....

Yep, this exact thing happened with one I purchased. But, as stated, no biggie with the availability of TCS two-piece decoder.
Russ

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
Thanks to all and especially Ryan for the good information.

I now, know how to proceed equipping my locomotives.

Barry

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
John, good point about the GP9. Since some mechanisms have gone through revisions (DC to DCC, etc), it's best to investigate what you have before you purchase, especially with the high prices for decoders.

Glad to help Barry.