Author Topic: Keystone Customs announces a 20 pack of pivoting bridge shoes for your layout!  (Read 4197 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3230
    • Designer at Keystone Details
These bridge shoes are designed within Shapeways specifications to allow pivoting between the upper and lower shoe for your inclined bridges or to accommodate slight surface angularity in your abutments. The overall nominal height of the shoes ar 2.85mm and a a smudge less than the width of the pad on an atlas girder plate bridge..

Thank you @Ed Kapuscinski for the idea.

The pivot is a hefty 1mm diameter supported by four uprights.  There will be testing, but I anticipate load capability to be quite high.

The Shoes can be purchased here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WDWFRM4EP/bridge-shoe-20-pk?li=shop-results&optionId=59670185

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:00:05 PM by Lemosteam »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2122
Cool , are you going to produce the other end that rolls with the expansion and contraction .

Richie Dost

Lemosteam

• Crew
These are on lower slides. Got a pic?

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Cool will be getting these! I'll second having the expansion end ones, I have pictures will get them on Flickr and post a link today sometime.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Here's one showing a typical expansion pedestal you'll have to zoom in a bit. https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1685/26397675531_caa00d6d43_k.jpg

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
There's several version of a rocker expansion.  You could just modify your current design.

Compare these two drawings.

Fixed rocker:

Expansion rocker:

Jason

Lemosteam

• Crew
This is what I found:

This shows basically what I designed and some added balls or rollers under the expansion side as well a a simple friction slide surface. In the latter case, the design would appear fine at both ends of the bridge.

In the former, a styrene laminate could be used under my shoe to lower the base representing the rollers.

Sorry but I think a steel trundle rocker absolutely destroying a masonry rest.

Show me a pic of that design?

Lemosteam

• Crew
Not planning on doing a hundred styles at this stage.  I suspect these are all typically on-site or dedicated designs for their bridge type which is why most of the diagrams I see are generically drawn, much like a patent drawing.

By all means, if someone needs a specific design for a specific bridge and they can provide drawings and dimensions, etc. I will support their needs through Keystone Customs.

@Ed Kapuscinski 's request was for a simple, ubiquitous type like the one I have done.

Thanks for the ideas ad come to though!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1336
Those diagrams look very similar to the ones in my ancient copy of Paul Mallery's "Bridge and Trestle Handbook", and he noted that most bridges 60 ft and shorter had simple sliding expansion joints, that look almost identical to the fixed end. 

Any of the lower row could be could be built starting with the basic kit.  Just add the roller assemblies under the basic shoe.  Most bridges would have a "fixed", plate or rocker, shoe at one end, and a "moveable", sliding or roller, shoe at the other.  They had to be careful if they had moveable shoes at both ends, as the bridge could then shift lengthwise, rather than just expanding and contracting. 

About the only place I suspect you'd find that would be on a "continuous" bridge, where the truss or girder spans more than one gap without a break.  In that case, especially if it was a "two span" design, with a single intermediate pier, they'd put the fixed shoe under the middle, and a moveable one at each end.
N Kalanaga
Be well

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Expansion shoe or not, thanks again for your designs and products! The shoes as you've produced them offer a level of detail a cut above most simple bridge installations.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2291
Expansion shoe or not, thanks again for your designs and products! The shoes as you've produced them offer a level of detail a cut above most simple bridge installations.

^^^^^ What he said. You did what I was resigned to do for myself, and probably on Shapeways as well. Given the increasing bridge count on the GB&W, something had to give.

Good stuff, and I certainly thank you for the effort.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
This is such a good idea that I predict

<puts sunglasses on>

They won't be in stock for long.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon