Author Topic: NCE Power Cab Q's  (Read 2527 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1918
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: NCE Power Cab Q's
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 12:53:12 AM »
Mike C mentioned F9.
 Joe D

The numeric keypad (0-9) allows you to toggle F0-F9 directly, just by pushing the appropriate number key.  The HEADLIGHT button also toggles F0, BELL toggles F1 and HORN activates F2.  HORN is the odd one as the HORN button activated F2 momentarily while pressing "2" will toggle F2 on or off (latching).

F10-F12 are convenience buttons (so you have those higher functions available without extra key presses of the OPTION mode). When you go into the F10-F19 OPTION mode on the throttle you can also toggle F10 by pressing the "0" button, F11 with "1", and F12 with "2".  See how that works?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!

Genetk44

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »
The numeric keypad (0-9) allows you to toggle F0-F9 directly, just by pushing the appropriate number key.  The HEADLIGHT button also toggles F0, BELL toggles F1 and HORN activates F2.  HORN is the odd one as the HORN button activated F2 momentarily while pressing "2" will toggle F2 on or off (latching).

F10-F12 are convenience buttons (so you have those higher functions available without extra key presses of the OPTION mode). When you go into the F10-F19 OPTION mode on the throttle you can also toggle F10 by pressing the "0" button, F11 with "1", and F12 with "2".  See how that works?

My bad...I should have been clearer about that when I made my comment about using the Optin button

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:16 AM »
This stuff gives me a headache sometimes:(
 How compatible are Tsunami decoders with the NCE? Just set long address for Athearn Challenger. I hear a constant buzz from speaker. Will change some CV's tonight. Wish Athearn used whiter LED's. Maybe brightness cv will help?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Genetk44

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 10:45:17 AM »
 How compatible are Tsunami decoders with the NCE? Just set long address for Athearn Challenger. I hear a constant buzz from speaker. Will change some CV's tonight. Wish Athearn used whiter LED's. Maybe brightness cv will help?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Thats odd. I've never had any problems of compatability between my NCE setup and various decoders....I think the only decoders I've never used are MRC...otherwise all the majors have been fine.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1918
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Hmm... while I never had this happen to me (I don't remember if I ever reprogrammed a Tsunami decoder), the important thing is whether the programming worked or not.  If it did then don't worry about any buzzing, twitching or headlights flashing. That could be normal and expected.  I also assume that you were doing the programming in programming track mode.

IIRC, Power Cab in one of the DCC systems which does not need a programming track booster (or other modification) for programming sound decoders.  It puts out enough "juice" to the programming track to successfully program sound decoders.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »
Pete, setting long address in Program Track mode worked. Will adjust some cv's later this evening.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
I've done 1 Tsunami installation and 3 Econami installs . With the PowerCab you don't need any kind of booster to program them . What I usually do is to make sure the decoder is installed correctly by placing it on program track and changing the address . After that I do all of my programming on the main .  I don't remember hearing any buzzing from the speakers , unless the speaker isn't in an enclosure , and then just about any sounds will be very week and buzzy.