Author Topic: NCE Power Cab Q's  (Read 4306 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: NCE Power Cab Q's
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 11:50:35 PM »
I wouldn't bother with NMRA site. While there are bunch of NMRA-defined CVs, many manufacturers use other CVs for various functions.  You are better off going to the manufacturer's website and look for the decoder manuals there.

The standard basic non-sound Bachmann decoder is very, very basic. What you see on that 2-page doc is probably all you get. It also has rather poor motor control (and even CV5 and CV6 are not implemented).  That's why many modelers pine for DC models from Bachmann (so they can install a better decoder without paying for the low-end decoder installed at the factory).  At least with sound decoders Bachman chose to use Soundtraxx brand decoders.  I haven't had a chance to play with one yet so I don't know if the full manual is available from Bachmann or from Soundtraxx.  The abbreviated manual which came with the model might have a URL listed for the full manual.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:59:00 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 01:58:03 AM »
A decoder swap, eh? Have to see what TCS has. For now, changing out the LED for an Ngineering Micro Super yellow-white LED.
 There may be a slight bind at very low speed. Took gear cover off, and checked things out.
 Thanks Peteski.
 Joe D

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
 I replaced every one of the Bachmann decoders with Digitrax .  As Pete says they are very limited , and the motor control is so much better with the Digitrax decoders .  Even the sound decoders they get from Soundtrax are limited . I've replaced all of those with Soundtrax Econami decoders . The ones that come with the locos do at least have good motor control , but they are missing important sound files .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 01:36:11 AM »
 "For now, changing out the LED for an Ngineering Micro Super yellow-white LED."

I like the headlight, much better than Bmann orange LED. Also popped front off boiler(not glued). Was able to push light tube higher into headlight housing. But tube is so visible, as to produce a "square" of light. See Marks pictures in his review. BUT, this is all moot for a B&M Mogul, as they had centered headlight on boiler, as oppossed to top mount. Maybe an MP Mogul front will fit. Anyone know if MRC is offering MP parts? When I can, I'll get proper TCS decoder.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
Did not see any parts listed on MRC site for MP locos.

Having trouble dimming headlight on BLI M1. BLI manual says CV 231 is headlight brightness. I've got it set to 10, and still way to bright, has no affect at all. Loco is quirky after I adjust CV. No response. Have to power down NCE, or remove flat cable from controller. Then to get things going, I have to throttle up a bit, then light comes on, bell will sound, whistle, etc.  :?
 Thanks,

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 12:13:14 AM »
Joe, you might want to start a new thread on your M1 question - this thread is about NCE Power Cab so there is a good chance that it will not attract many M1 owners.  But a thread about M1 is sure to entice those owners to read it.
. . . 42 . . .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 01:45:36 AM »
Pete, I don't know if it's an issue with NCE/M1 as a "unit"? But I'll ask on thread already existing about M1's.

Will ask on Trading post about MP part for Bmann Mogul.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 02:22:43 AM »
Pete, I don't know if it's an issue with NCE/M1 as a "unit"? But I'll ask on thread already existing about M1's.

Will ask on Trading post about MP part for Bmann Mogul.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

I guess. . . To me this is a valid (and standalone) question about a BLI decoder to be asked in this forum.  :|

As far as MP parts go, I would have to dig out their old tech support phone number.  Maybe it is still active and maybe their parts guy (Mike) still works for MP/MRC. If he does and still has some leftover parts, I'm sure he'll help you out.
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
Did not see any parts listed on MRC site for MP locos.

Having trouble dimming headlight on BLI M1. BLI manual says CV 231 is headlight brightness. I've got it set to 10, and still way to bright, has no affect at all. Loco is quirky after I adjust CV. No response. Have to power down NCE, or remove flat cable from controller. Then to get things going, I have to throttle up a bit, then light comes on, bell will sound, whistle, etc.  :?
 Thanks,

I set the headlight brightness to 5 , tried 10 , but agree that was too bright  .  When you turn the NCE system on , do you hit F9 ?  You have to hit it twice to get the sound to come on without moving the loco .  I've noticed odd behavior also , but nothing too bad .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
Still need to thoroughly read NCE manual. Haven't used any function keys. Bottom buttons on controller are F10, 11, 12. I supposse shift button will access others?
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
I never use anything above F12 myself , but yes I think it's the shift button that gets you the other functions . You may have to program the cab to be able to use them though , it's all explained in the manual .  The BLI decoders are supposed to be able to be function mapped to act like suondtrax and other decoders . I did try that but got some really wierd behavior from the loco .  Myself I never use most of the functions in the BLI decoders , most of the non loco sounds I just turn off .

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't want city/farm, etc. sounds from loco!!! There are some steam sounds I don't even know what they're called. But steamers are like a living, breathing beast! Do like the reverse lever sound, and some of the flange squeal 8)
 Thanks,
 Joe D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:11:26 AM by Joetrain59 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »
Accessing functions > 12 is a bit awkward - it should be described in the manual.  You can also display status of all the functions (0-28).
. . . 42 . . .

Genetk44

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »
You can also access the F10 and above functions by pushing the Option button.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:59 PM »
Mike C mentioned F9.
 Joe D