Author Topic: Microtrains New 4180 50' Airslide  (Read 3764 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Microtrains New 4180 50' Airslide
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:27:50 PM »
I am glad to see this model coming!

AS NOTED IN A PREVIOUS THREAD THAT THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WAS BURIED IN, THE COUPLERS WILL NOT BE TRUCK MOUNTED

I can finally retire these old Delaware Valley models that I never got around to trying to improve:  :P

Now what about paint schemes? I think the ones with Champion Spark plugs emblazoned on the sides were built in '69, not sure how much variation there is on these (according to Robbman there are various phases).

Apparently the Wonder Bread versions were a larger airslide (?).

I suppose this version could be "foobed" into earlier versions with too much "fuss" - any comments?

N&W had some built in 1965 (HC-17) and 1967 (HC-67)

N&W HC-67 http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nw/nw170821akg.jpg

Anyway, looking forward to seeing these!

Mark
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:45:09 AM by Mark5 »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Microtrains New 4180 50' Airslide
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 12:43:10 AM »
Again with the truck mounted couplers.   :facepalm:
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:29 AM »
Also disappointing is that MT has gone with stirrups molded with the body (instead of their standard thin-profile Delrin stirrups).  The grabs also seem to be rather heavy-handed.  Not the delicately engraved grabs and ladders of their past models. What happened to the Cadillac of N scale models?  :|
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 02:47:20 AM »
Again with the truck mounted couplers.   :facepalm:

It appears to be the exact same ad we talked about a month ago that was since corrected via Joe.

Jason

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
Also disappointing is that MT has gone with stirrups molded with the body (instead of their standard thin-profile Delrin stirrups).

Pete,

How do you know that the stirrups will be part of the body?

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »
Grabs, stirrups, and ladders can be fixed; though it's a shame we'd have to.  I'll have to anyway to back-date the car.  My concerns, aside from the no-brainer body mounts, is the roof walk (at least it says it's separate, whew, and not molded on like the ham-fisted Evans covered hopper); the hatches be finely presents; and, most importantly, the undercarriage discharge piping and bays be finely presented, like the Athearn single bay.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »
Pete,

How do you know that the stirrups will be part of the body?

DUH!!   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I should be more careful reading the posts!!  I thought that the photos of the model in the initial post was the new  MT car (not the old Delavare Valley model)!   Geez!  I deserve a giant head-slap!   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Isn't that clear from looking at the photo of the test shots? They have same color as the body (they can't match colors that well even in their production models), and they are way clunkier than their standard Delrin stirrups. May clunky is too negative of a word: the stirrups have much larger cross-section than Delrin ones they use.  :)

I don't think that either stirrups or the heavy-handed grabs will be fixed at this stage in production. I would love to have them prove me wrong though.  I'm not trying to be negative here - just realistic.

As far as fixing things ourselves - sure, we can do that. But why we need to do it on a brand new model designed in the year 2015?  New models shouldn't repeat mistakes made many time in the past.  I praised MT for their delicate engraving od the body shells (ladders, grabs, wooden boards), even if some overall dimensions were off. Why?  Because that delicate treatment made their models look more realistic than the competitions?  Looks like that ship has sailed... MT models will just be another N scale model - nothing outstanding.  The Cadillac has turned into a Camry (good solid car but nothing special)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:42:40 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
That's not a test shot - just a 3d mock-up (which may or may not relate to the actual model). Will wait to see the actual model before trying to pass judgement. :)

Mark

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
+1
Isn't that clear from looking at the photo of the test shots?
Where in the world did you see a photo/photos of test shots???

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »

I don't think that either stirrups or the heavy-handed grabs will be fixed at this stage in production.

Pete, you may want to hold final judgement until you see a pre-production model.  Details like the grabs may render on a 3D pictures thicker or heavier than they are due to the line thickness of the drawing.

For me, the move away from the Delrin stirrups means they will  be the same color as the body instead of some neon proximity which was always a detractor. 

One thing I don't like is that the hatches look like they are molded into the roof ala the 30 year old Atlas Trainman car instead of a separate piece like the Athearn car.

Jason

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3078
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »

One thing I don't like is that the hatches look like they are molded into the roof ala the 30 year old Atlas Trainman car instead of a separate piece like the Athearn car.

Jason

MT's 2 bay centerflows have round hatches that open, so I'd be very surprised if this car came with molded on hatches.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Pete, you may want to hold final judgement until you see a pre-production model.  Details like the grabs may render on a 3D pictures thicker or heavier than they are due to the line thickness of the drawing.

DUH!  You can't fix stupid (me).  :facepalm:  Went back and fixed my post.
. . . 42 . . .

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
'm having difficulty seeing that the hatches may be molded into the roof by looking at the 3D rendering...they may be.
They definitely are molded into the roof in the Delaware Valley model pic that the original poster added to the the post.
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »
'm having difficulty seeing that the hatches may be molded into the roof by looking at the 3D rendering...they may be.

It's actually pretty easy to see.

Here's a view of the airslide hatches.

You can see that there are three locks that sit on top of the hatch, plus the hinge.  When these are made as a separate piece, it looks like this.

But in the MTL render there is no under cutting under the hatch and you can see that all the details are molded to the roof.

Maybe they'll change it, but that render shows molded hatch covers.

Jason

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
Hey guys, didn't anyone notice Micro-Trains made the car red! Who ever saw a red Airflow? :trollface: :facepalm:

Hmm... Kiz is sarcastic
today...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"