Author Topic: TCS Decoder Pricing - Ouch!  (Read 1923 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
TCS Decoder Pricing - Ouch!
« on: February 27, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »
+5
I have a backlog of decoders to install, so haven't been in the market for about a year. Now that I'm planning an upcoming project... when did TCS bump their decoder prices? The increase since I last bought is ridiculous - 30% or more across the board. Wow.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: TCS Decoder Pricing - Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »
Can't speak to timing of increases, but the other week I bought four (Litchfield Station) and paid about $160. Never looked before, so I no feel for where the prices were in previous years.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:12:09 PM »
TCS was always on the high side, at least another $8-10 higher than Digitrax or NCE.  Last I noticed was when I looked at a CN-GP  :o

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
There was a discussion about this not long ago.  --> https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=38089.msg459387#msg459387

TCS decoders have gone up a fair amount over the last few years.  Peteski was told by TCS that it's because they are totally produced in the USA (Obviously not the components - nobody makes that stuff here). Even though I have a Digitrax DCC system, for non-sound "economy" decoders I prefer TCS over them.  Sound decoders I lean toward ESU LokSound and more and more I'm thinking the ESU non sound LokPilot for regular use even though they don't have "drop-ins".  THey're cheaper than drop-ins and I can solder to the DC PC board if I have to.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:27:00 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
Ah... thanks, John. Apologies for the unintended repeat, I missed it completely. Occasionally there's value to be had in relevant thread titles. :facepalm:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:34:34 PM »
+2
On an unrelated note, why in the world would someone down-vote Mike's post?  He didn't say anything untrue or derogatory about anything - he simply stated a fact, and that he is unhappy about it. Does that deserve a down-vote?  WTF is wrong with some TRW members?   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Yeah, I know - I will probably get a down vote on this post (by the same member).  It would really be useful (and revealing) if we could see which members have voted on posts.  :|

EDIT:  it has been fun watching this post: It actually garnered two up-votes before the sour-puss came in and gave the down-vote I expected to get in the first place. And yes, I went to Mike's original post and gave it an up-vote. It is now in positive territory . Fun stuff!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:42:19 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »
aren't digitrax decoders made in the USA as well?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »

While I don't recall if this was during the conversation I had with the TCS people (about the high price of their items) or elsewhere, but it was hinted that Digitrax circuits were manufactured somewhere out of the country. So don't take this as a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me either if the stuff was made in China or even Mexico.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
On an unrelated note, why in the world would someone down-vote Mike's post?  ...

Yeah, I wondered about the down-tick, too, but wasn't letting it bug me.

I guess I'm more perplexed about the pricing than unhappy; it's a maker I like and have bought a lot of product from. It just caught me by surprise in that the last CN-GP I bought was $28 or so when it was a new product (four years ago), now it's $43 from the same retailer. Hence the "Ouch!".

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »

I know at one time Digitrax had a wave soldering machine in their plant. I remember information about it on their web site. But that was in the Norcross, GA days before the move to Florida.  And it may have been that they only used it for their bigger boards like command stations and others.  These days I don't see anything (or just can't find it) about that any more.

On an unrelated note, why in the world would someone down-vote Mike's post?  He didn't say anything untrue or derogatory about anything - he simply stated a fact, and that he is unhappy about it. Does that deserve a down-vote?  WTF is wrong with some TRW members?   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Yeah, I know - I will probably get a down vote on this post (by the same member).  It would really be useful (and revealing) if we could see which members have voted on posts.  :|

I saw and thought the same thing.  I considered up-voting just to offset it.  Pretty silly.

Ah... thanks, John. Apologies for the unintended repeat, I missed it completely. Occasionally there's value to be had in relevant thread titles. :facepalm:

I'm sure I only remembered because I participated in it.  :D  But I agree about relevant thread titles!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:46:40 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
While I don't recall if this was during the conversation I had with the TCS people (about the high price of their items) or elsewhere, but it was hinted that Digitrax circuits were manufactured somewhere out of the country. So don't take this as a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me either if the stuff was made in China or even Mexico.

The Digitrax decoder tag on the decoder I bought recently says made in the US. TCS might be hinting out of there rear.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:52 PM »
The Digitrax decoder tag on the decoder I bought recently says made in the US. TCS might be hinting out of there rear.

Like I said, I don't recall who and when hinted that. If both companies make their products locally,  maybe the labor is cheaper in Florida than in Pennsylvania.  :)

Seriously, at the price TCS decoders cost now I could get ESU or Zimo decoders - both have motor control (and range of tuning parameters) much better than Digitrax or TCS (especially with coreless motors).
. . . 42 . . .

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 12:41:34 AM »

EDIT:  it has been fun watching this post: It actually garnered two up-votes before the sour-puss came in and gave the down-vote I expected to get in the first place. And yes, I went to Mike's original post and gave it an up-vote. It is now in positive territory . Fun stuff!
I got a down tick a month ago for saying that the new Micro Trains hopper was most likely going to get a body mount coupler....

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 03:00:08 AM »
+1
I got a down tick a month ago for saying that the new Micro Trains hopper was most likely going to get a body mount coupler....

Fixed it for you!   :D
But that is exactly what I mean.  Some moody member simply didn't like what you said and dinged you.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
It seems to work .. Peteski has +152 :)