Author Topic: Any idea what I could use to model this 2-6-2?  (Read 6024 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Any idea what I could use to model this 2-6-2?
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:10:04 PM »

She started life as MacMillan Bloedel 1077 and worked in the Nanaimo Lakes area on Vancouver Island. 
The 1077 was later purchased by the Provincial Government and was used to haul the Provincial Museum Train on Vancouver Island in the late 70's. The locomotive now runs at Fort Steele.  I think it might have been a 2-6-2T and had a tender added during it's service as a logging engine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/msdwilkie/8418191979/in/album-72157629699036402/

http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/southern_bc.htm

I can't find much for specs except that she's about 90 tonnes with a loaded tender.  Looks like she might have about 48" drivers?

Thanks, Craig

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +888
    • My blog
Re: Any idea what I could use to model this 2-6-2?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »

She started life as MacMillan Bloedel 1077 and worked in the Nanaimo Lakes area on Vancouver Island. 
The 1077 was later purchased by the Provincial Government and was used to haul the Provincial Museum Train on Vancouver Island in the late 70's. The locomotive now runs at Fort Steele.  I think it might have been a 2-6-2T and had a tender added during it's service as a logging engine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/msdwilkie/8418191979/in/album-72157629699036402/

http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/southern_bc.htm

I can't find much for specs except that she's about 90 tonnes with a loaded tender.  Looks like she might have about 48" drivers?

Thanks, Craig
ever thought about adding a new cab to a Bachmann 2-6-2 and changing out the trailing truck?

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »
+1
The closest thing would be the Bachmann 2-6-2. Create an inside bearing trailing truck. I don't even see the cab being that much different. Steam domes in the same order and roughly the same size and placement. Even the headlight is close.

Tony Hines

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
I agree with skip but the boiler needs lowered and a section cut out of the boiler between the cab and first dome to bring it closer to the drivers.

Adam Draskovich
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:23:24 AM »
Hmmm. Having never lowered a boiler, having taken apart a couple of steam locos I imagine that would be quite difficult to do. What about starting with a smaller chassis, like maybe the Alco 2-6-0:

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/spec260.html

And putting the modified 2-6-2 shell on it?

Thanks for the input everyone.

Craig

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »
The driver spacing isn't correct.

Pop the shell off and use a dremel to shave off some of the boiler very lightly. Once you've tried that, you can shave off the top of the mechanism a bit at a time until you get the desired height. The motor in the cab might be in the way though so you'll have to see.

Adam Draskovich
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:36:37 AM »
Thanks for the idea. This is very tempting.

Craig

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 02:07:38 AM »
+2
I'm not sure you would need to do that much with boiler height. Maybe just a larger cab.

A clean side view of my 0-6-0 version.
Tony Hines

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:17:51 AM »
Could use a bigger cab, and wouldn't it be possible to get a spare pilot truck and mount it on the trailing position? I mean the pilot and trailing trucks on the Bmann Prairie are cosmetic anyway.
But at the very least it'd make a good stand in...
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:23:59 AM »
Anyone here ever buy a Kato C12 loco? Looks like a great start, but never owned one.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »
You likely could fit a spare pilot truck on the rear.

The Kato loco looks great and even has spoked pilot and trailing trucks, but it looks to me like the drivers are spaced too far apart. I wish I could find some specs on the wheel base of 1077.

Craig

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
I would use the newest version of the B-mann "Prairie" (the one where the motor does not stick out the back of the cab) and make the appropriate modifications to the locomotive.  The tender looks close to the stock MP Eight-Wheeler/Mogul coal tender.  The shell from that tender will fit onto the chassis of the Bachpersonn SPECTRUM slopeback tender.  You will need to change the tender, anyhow, to get maximum performance from that locomotive.

Swapping out the stock Bachmann tender for a SPECTRUM tender is easy.  Spookshow explains how to do it on his website, in the review of this locomotive.   Spookshow states that you need not make any modifications to the tender chassis if you use the slopeback.   All respect and honour to Spookshow, always, but I disagree with him on this one.   I secured better performance when I modified the slopeback chassis in a manner similar to what he describes for the USRA switcher tender.

If you do use the B-mann "Prairie", one thing that you might want to do is address the idler trucks'  negative effect on  the pulling power on this one.   I have not tried to determine the cause, but the idler trucks have a serious detrimental effect on this thing's pulling power.  I tried running one as a 2-6-0; even the pilot truck reduced the pulling power.

Another possibility on the tender is the MDC/Athearn 2-8-0/2-6-0 tender.  There is a motor and a drive shaft in that one.   I seem to recall that Erie Chris made a late nineteenth/early twentieth century 2-6-2 from an Atlas/Micro Ace 2-6-0 and an MDC/Athearn tender.  He left the tender drive and extended the driveshaft into the locomotive, if I recall correctly.  Ask him about it.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
Craig:

I have been looking into this myself recently and will have much more to add for you when I get home later tonight.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 10:48:04 AM »
Both Chris333 and I have used the Atlas 2-6-0 chassis and moved the motor into the tender to make smallish locomotives.   Chris did an outstanding job on his 2-6-2 and it was the execution of that effort that convinced me I could use that chassis to build my own.  Chris sold his to Jerry Debene, who put it on YouTube: 
/>
Here's mine, copied from Chris, everything from the frame up is scratch:
/>
In my case, the Lima drawings were a dead hit for the driver size and axle spacing on the 2-6-0.     Remember that the locomotive is a 1:150 model of a narrow-gauge Porter in Japan, it's actually WAY oversized for the model, so dismiss in your mind what it looks like and just take some measurements for chassis.   I think the drivers are 44", but if you want to go at this seriously I'll do full dimensions.   I think it's pretty close except for that axle spacing, and that's pretty unique.   The slide valves and lack of valve gear are a bigger problem than the wheelbase for your project, but you might want to look hard at the concept.   The performance of that chassis converted to a gearhead tender drive is just outstanding - best thing I've ever built.

As far as for that boiler with a tank, I've made an attempt to make a Porter 0-6-4 out of the same chassis, making the trailing truck 'hot' for pickup and making my own cast boiler.  The cast metal boiler fits the Atlas chassis.   I'll repost the photos if you're interested.   It doesn't run any where near as well with the original motor as powering it from the tender, and I've suspended the project until I can figure out a gearhead drive.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:55:31 AM by randgust »

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Would you belive I randomly found drawings of this loco in my pile of stuff?!? 

Years ago I cut up all if my magazines and put anything relevant in a box to be organized later. I've been going through it and filing them slowly. Today I was at it again and found the article almost at the bottom of the box. Crazy detailed drawings. I knew I was organized!  I'll take a snap shot and post it later.

Tim, what gives? You need 3716r not 1077. (Ex-CPR 2-8-0 3716 pull the Provincial Museum Train on the mainland. Too heavy for the Island where 1077 stepped in.)

Craig