Author Topic: N-Scale K-Rail Concrete Barriers  (Read 2642 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
N-Scale K-Rail Concrete Barriers
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:31:07 PM »
Anyone know if these are available anywhere beside BLMA?  I've had them on backorder for months and now they are no longer shipping anything.  I've done a search but couldn't find anything.  Shapeways has some but they are HO.  Thanks in advance.

Doug

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: N-Scale K-Rail Concrete Barriers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
They're not exactly correct and might take some work to be usable, but there's these from Rix, which are designed for their bridge kits:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Rix-Products-N-Modern-Highway-Overpass-Railings-p/rix-628-0164.htm

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »
Well, the day hasn't been a total loss.  I've actually learned something.  K-Rails are also called, by some at least, Jersey Walls. How they got that name, I have no idea.  Come to think of it, I don't know how they got the name K-Rails either.  Anyway, I looked up Jersey Walls and found come really nice ones on Shapeways that will do the trick.  Who knew.......

Doug

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4603
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
LOL!  I had no idea that all this time you were talking about Jersey Barriers (or Joisey for the locals).  That is the name they call these in New England. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
LOL!  I had no idea that all this time you were talking about Jersey Barriers (or Joisey for the locals).  That is the name they call these in New England. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier

That's what we call them in the military too.  We use them for force protection.  Typically we use short sections that can be "forked" from place to place.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1327
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:56 AM »
"Jersey Barrier" is also what I usually hear them called in news reports.  Most people here, NE Kentucky/ W West Virginia, don't seem to call them anything in particular.  The most common seems to be "concrete divider".  The most common use around here is at construction zones, with either open medians, cable barriers, or fixed concrete center walls on permanent installations.

It took me a while to figure out "K-rail" when I first saw it in print, in a California news report, and I still don't know why it's called a "rail".

From Wikipedia:
"A Jersey barrier is also known in the western United States as K-rail, a term borrowed from the California Department of Transportation specification for temporary concrete traffic barriers, or colloquially as a Jersey bump."
N Kalanaga
Be well

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 04:41:02 AM »
Always called em Jersey Walls or barriers. Probably cause every one of them has a little bit of Jimmy Hoffa in it somewhere.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »
I've never heard them called Jersey-anything, and I worked for TxDot engineering for 5 years while in college.  Admittedly we didn't use them much on the projects I was associated with, but I still think that's not a term in use down here.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
At MoDOT we called them K-walls, but I wasn't the only engineer there who also knew them as "Jersey barriers".

EDIT: It just occurred to me that when I was at NDOR (Nebraska Department of Roads), they called them K-rails, and looked at me strange when I called 'em Jersey walls. Usage is definitely regional, and underscores my observation/experience that roadway engineering practices vary from state to state, as promulgated by the largest school in the state for traffic engineering. IOW, some overbearing professor's attitudes/theories are typically behind the "Huh?" you encounter when driving away from your home state.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:01:25 AM by C855B »

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
At MoDOT we called them K-walls, but I wasn't the only engineer there who also knew them as "Jersey barriers".

EDIT: It just occurred to me that when I was at NDOR (Nebraska Department of Roads), they called them K-rails, and looked at me strange when I called 'em Jersey walls. Usage is definitely regional, and underscores my observation/experience that roadway engineering practices vary from state to state, as promulgated by the largest school in the state for traffic engineering. IOW, some overbearing professor's attitudes/theories are typically behind the "Huh?" you encounter when driving away from your home state.

+1. That explains a lot in Arkansas then.
Peter Pfotenhauer

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 02:08:08 PM »
You don't want to get me started on Arkansas DOT... they were a client, too, but thankfully it was very brief. Talk about a bunch with NIH syndrome. :|

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
I've heard them called "no-post barriers" up here in BC. They are everywhere on BC highways; they are used to ensure vehicles don't leave the highway and go down embankments if they leave the driving lanes. With all of our curving mountain roads they are almost continuous on our highways.

If somebody came up with a flexible strip of these things they would sell well...

Geoff

Mastertech

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »
HEY GEOFF!!
welcome to Jersey via Tappan zee bridge!
/>Edit. this vid is from the Golden Gate that's  because they have had one on the tappan zee, for years now.it's a much better vid to get point across
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:49:54 PM by Mastertech »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8020
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 09:18:01 PM »
I've been using these. I have one package and want a bunch more now.

http://kenraymodels.com/products/jersey-barriers