Author Topic: KATO / KOBO UP Excursion E-9's are here  (Read 3435 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
KATO / KOBO UP Excursion E-9's are here
« on: December 09, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »
                   :|   I received my three KATO / KOBO Custom Union Pacific E-9 excursion locomotives today. A Unit's 951,949 and B Unit 963 B. It was worth the wait and the almost Brass-Like prices to receive these locomotives. The yellow and gray colors are spot on, match the excursion set cars. all of the extra detail parts are plastic add-ons. The nicely done weatherization shields over the exhaust fans, the later day five chime horns on a raised platform behind the first exhaust vent to keep them from freezing in the winter (a later UP adaption),the cab top yellow flashing beacon, add on non functioning ditch lights above the pilot anti-climber, MU hoses on either side of the pilot. Enhanced painting and lettering includes the E 9 identification plates on either side of the cab, and subtle weathering of the side grills to bring out some of the recessed screening detail. The locomotives couple quite close together, if there were diaphrams on the unit ends they would touch. There is also a small packet (plastic bag) with what appears to be maybe some type of smaller dummy coupler? I cannot tell for sure with the bag folded and did not want to open it up and possibly lose these black plastic parts. The locomotives run great (usual Kato quality).                                                                   Here is hoping that maybe the detail parts , exhaust shields, beacon, horns , and MU hoses may be sold separately through KATO Parts Department, which would make all Union Pacific Modelers very happy.                                                                                  Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.   :|
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:32:43 AM by GaryHinshaw »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: KATO / KOBO UP Excursion E-9's are here
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
I would say that is it a pretty safe bet that any non-stock detail items added to the Kobo models will not be available for individual sale, either as regular-stock or spare-part items.
. . . 42 . . .

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:34 PM »
Those added on parts (at least to me) sure look like they're 3D printed, especially the horn.
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »
So Kato is selling the detail parts for the E9, shipping is pricey though.

http://www.katousa.com/Zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=148&products_id=1784
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:02:08 AM »
So Kato is selling the detail parts for the E9, shipping is pricey though.

http://www.katousa.com/Zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=148&products_id=1784

Yeah, $16 shipping for me. I submitted a request to MB Klein to stock it so I can order it with other items...with their VERY reasonable shipping costs.
It might help if they receive multiple requests. Here's the link if you're so inclined.
https://support.modeltrainstuff.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
-Ryan

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
Holy smokes! Those snowshield covers are pretty critical if you want to model early Amtrak out west, with all the ex-UP E units they had.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »
The $16 shipping (and handling?) charge does seem a bit steep for a small $24 packet of parts.  I would contact Kato USA and see if something can be done about that. Or maybe @nightmare0331 could chime in with some explanation.
. . . 42 . . .

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
+1
The $16 shipping (and handling?) charge does seem a bit steep for a small $24 packet of parts.  I would contact Kato USA and see if something can be done about that. Or maybe @nightmare0331 could chime in with some explanation.

If you request in the comment section for USPS, shipping will be adjusted down to $7.00 which is the normal shipping rate for parts orders.  Conversely, you could also build up a regular parts order then add that you want one of these to the comments section of that order.

This is a different cart system then the online parts ordering system and apparently there is no option to go USPS on that cart.   Why it was not put in the parts online catalog, I have no clue.

There is no dealer/distributor pricing for this item, so I would be surprised if any vendor other than Kato direct will be carrying these parts.

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »
If you request in the comment section for USPS, shipping will be adjusted down to $7.00 which is the normal shipping rate for parts orders.  Conversely, you could also build up a regular parts order then add that you want one of these to the comments section of that order.

Crap, I wish I knew that before I order :facepalm: But my they will be gone before I find them somewhere fear got the best of me.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »
Why no dealer pricing? MTS got back to me asking about placing a special order. If they have more interest, maybe they will buy some?

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 06:08:53 AM »
It twerked. Shipping adjusted down to $7, just like the man says. Ta mate!
Buffering...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
It twerked. Shipping adjusted down to $7, just like the man says. Ta mate!

You welcome!  All we had to do is ask (and I did).  :D
. . . 42 . . .

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »
+1
Why no dealer pricing? MTS got back to me asking about placing a special order. If they have more interest, maybe they will buy some?

1. quantity.  there aren't very many sets of these
2. non standard parts- these were 3d printed parts made by an outside vendor that were overruns from making the Kobo UP excursion E8's and were expensive to make.

It's not as simple as 'hey, lets just crank some more out'

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »
Thank you Kelley.
I will go with your recommendation of placing an order through the parts cart and add a note to add this part # E9UDP.
-Ryan

1. quantity.  there aren't very many sets of these
2. non standard parts- these were 3d printed parts made by an outside vendor that were overruns from making the Kobo UP excursion E8's and were expensive to make.

It's not as simple as 'hey, lets just crank some more out'

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com