Author Topic: Best Of Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) 0-6-0 Project  (Read 77276 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
Re: Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) 0-6-0 Project
« Reply #495 on: August 31, 2018, 01:38:08 AM »
Congratulations!  With that many awards, a little bragging is in order.  That should put to rest, permanently, the idea that N scale isn't for scratchbuilders...  How many of the larger-scale models had scratchbuilt drivers? 

Does RMC usually do an article on the winner of their award?  I've been reading them for half a century, but have never paid much attention to how they cover convention winners.  I just look at the pictures...
N Kalanaga
Be well

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #496 on: August 31, 2018, 03:13:23 AM »
+1
Congratulations!  With that many awards, a little bragging is in order.  That should put to rest, permanently, the idea that N scale isn't for scratchbuilders...  How many of the larger-scale models had scratchbuilt drivers? 

Does RMC usually do an article on the winner of their award?  I've been reading them for half a century, but have never paid much attention to how they cover convention winners.  I just look at the pictures...

In answer to your two questions:
1. None (drivers)
2. Yes (RMC)

To all of you, everywhere, those who have said such nice things to me now and throughout the building of this model, and for following along with its construction, my most sincere, heartfelt THANK YOU.   I really do not think I could have done it without help, critique, encouragement, and just the energy one gets from feeling that somebody else is interested in what you are doing.  It was grueling at times, but it was a wonderful chapter of my model railroading life that I will never forget.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #497 on: August 31, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »
+7
It wasn't reported.  I didn't want to make a big show of it. 

But I did pretty darn well, and I'm happy.  Here's the run-down:

1st Place Scratchbuilt Steam
The William J Lenoir Award (a special NMRA award for scratchbuilt steam)
The Railroad Model Craftsman Outstanding Modeling Award
People's Choice First Place - Locomotive
People's Choice Second Place - Photo Match (I wasn't really entering for this, but they liked how
well my model matched against a similarly posed photo of the prototype).

Thank you for asking.

Max is not only an amazing modeler, with skills and patience most of us can't even comprehend, let alone aspire to, but also a very modest and humble human being. After 3 and 1/2 years of work, documented in every excruciating detail in these pages, he didn't think it appropriate to mention the NMRA awards he rightfully deserved until prodded. Max, my hat is off to you, sir, the world needs more people like you.
A photo of the fabulous KC display I already posted in another thread is posted below. Heartfelt congratulations, Max!
Otto
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

badlandnp

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
    • Badland N.P.
« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
Congratulations Max on a well deserved award, bunch of awards! And even though the fun and pleasure of building it was your primary goal, you deserve the accolades! Thanks for including all of us in this project!

I am looking forward to your next project!
Northern Pacific in the Badlands, in N-scale of course!

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #499 on: September 02, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »
Hahaha.   :ashat:

How many volumes did it take total to tell the story.  I see two.  Or is it three?

Thanks for the great picture of the awards.
Great job Max.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #500 on: September 02, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »
Hahaha.   :ashat:

How many volumes did it take total to tell the story.  I see two.  Or is it three?

Thanks for the great picture of the awards.
Great job Max.

Ron, my heartfelt THANK YOU.  Your praise means a lot to me.
And it took 2 volumes.  Shutterfly has a 110-page limit on their large hardcover photobooks, so even though I trimmed out a few photos,
I still needed 220 pages.  I didn't want to skimp on this since it's a "one time only" thing in my life.  Besides the photos, I added and clarified a good bit of the text, which took some more room.

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #501 on: September 02, 2018, 11:00:22 PM »
+1
How many of us ever thought we would live to see the day when first place for scratchbuilt steam at an NMRA national convention would be awarded to an N-scale model? A milestone in the history of the scale for sure.

Congratulations, Max.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:05:31 PM by CNscale »

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #502 on: September 03, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »
How many N scale models, of anything, have taken first place at an NMRA National?  I'm almost sure it has happened, but can't remember when.
N Kalanaga
Be well

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #503 on: September 03, 2018, 02:22:20 AM »
It happened in 1989 in Houston.

Tom Knapp won first place and best of show (all scales) with his scratchbuilt N scale Shay.

My kitbashed U30C (made way before Kato) came in second in the N loco division.
I didn't mind getting beat by the Best of Show.

By the way.... as cool as that shay was..... it does not even compare to what Max did.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #504 on: September 03, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »

Tom Knapp won first place and best of show (all scales) with his scratchbuilt N scale Shay.
By the way.... as cool as that shay was..... it does not even compare to what Max did.

And that's a true statement. Not even close.
Otto

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +888
    • My blog
« Reply #505 on: September 04, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »

My kitbashed U30C (made way before Kato) came in second in the N loco division.
I didn't mind getting beat by the Best of Show.

it was also an Nn3 Shay and the crank and driveshafts spin.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #506 on: September 04, 2018, 12:29:19 AM »
Not bad for a "runner's scale", to quote the late 60s/early 70s magazines.  Two first place wins, and two best-in-shows, and both are for steam locomotives, probably the hardest things to scratchbuild.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #507 on: September 04, 2018, 02:16:18 AM »
Not bad for a "runner's scale", to quote the late 60s/early 70s magazines.  Two first place wins, and two best-in-shows, and both are for steam locomotives, probably the hardest things to scratchbuild.

Just to correct this... Tom's engine won "Best In Show". Mine did not.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #508 on: September 04, 2018, 02:36:43 AM »
Was Tom's Shay the one that was a heavily modified Atlas Shay that was re-worked with 3D parts. It was later sold as a kit?

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +888
    • My blog
« Reply #509 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »
Was Tom's Shay the one that was a heavily modified Atlas Shay that was re-worked with 3D parts. It was later sold as a kit?
no, it was scratch built and then turned into a RLW kit using a MTL F7 for power.