Author Topic: N Scale Door Layout for the Southern New Mexico N Scalers  (Read 2376 times)

fifer

• Crew
  • Albuquerque Canuel & Tijeras RR
  • Respect: +60
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
N Scale Door Layout for the Southern New Mexico N Scalers
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
This thread will follow a door layout design and build to re-produce the look of Las Cruces New Mexico and Rincon New Mexico. This will be a movable display for the Southern New Mexico N Scalers club.
Hope you all enjoy the fun.
Mike

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: N Scale Door Layout for the Southern New Mexico N Scalers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »
"We are the HCD Collective.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."

Seriously, Mike, I like this idea.  Welcome to the HCD club.  Since it is a roundy-round layout only for shows, there's no need to go nuts and design a track plan for ops, not to mention, as you pointed out, incur the cost of unnecessary turnouts.  I like the way you'll disguise the sections of the layouts with backdrops.  I look forward to following along and seeing it in action at the end.  Thanks for sharing.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
"We are the HCD Collective.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."

Seriously, Mike, I like this idea.  Welcome to the HCD club.  Since it is a roundy-round layout only for shows, there's no need to go nuts and design a track plan for ops, not to mention, as you pointed out, incur the cost of unnecessary turnouts.  I like the way you'll disguise the sections of the layouts with backdrops.  I look forward to following along and seeing it in action at the end.  Thanks for sharing.

DFF

Thanks Dave , I think it will work well. My only concern is getting photo backdrops of the Las Cruces area behind the depot.
Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Mike, As Dave mentioned Welcome to the HCD Collective, resistance is futile :D  Let me make one suggestion before you go any further, get some cheap foam insulation board 1" or 2" and put that on top of the door before you start laying tracks. That way you'll be able to carve out some low lying areas or even add a highway underpass to add to the scenic appeal of the layout.  I can tell you from personal experience, that is one of my regrets, I have hills and tunnels, but nothing below track level.  Just a suggestion Mike and I'm looking forward to following along as you complete your new HCD layout.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
[G]et some cheap foam insulation board 1" or 2" and put that on top of the door before you start laying tracks. That way you'll be able to carve out some low lying areas or even add a highway underpass to add to the scenic appeal of the layout.  I can tell you from personal experience, that is one of my regrets, I have hills and tunnels, but nothing below track level.

^This.  Good call, Rich!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
Hello everyone , here is the latest work on the door size display layout for our club.

Mike
 I wrote ‘happy’.
 -- John Lennon

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
thanks for the tutorial Mike, keeping it simple has it's virtues. I'm starting over with a multi door 10'x14' L with enlarged corner triangle space. The more I think about my usual habits, a  long oval 2 tracked with minimal switching suits my needs.  About 40' of mainline on each loop will allow me long freight and passenger consists so the bigger steam will look better. Waiting for your next installment.
Modeling Southern and N&W in the southeast.

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »
thanks for the tutorial Mike, keeping it simple has it's virtues. I'm starting over with a multi door 10'x14' L with enlarged corner triangle space. The more I think about my usual habits, a  long oval 2 tracked with minimal switching suits my needs.  About 40' of mainline on each loop will allow me long freight and passenger consists so the bigger steam will look better. Waiting for your next installment.

TVRR , that sounds like a fun layout. Look forward to seeing it in progress.
Mike
 I wrote ‘happy’.
 -- John Lennon

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:03:18 PM »
Hi guys , I got the dividers in and painted and hope to do more work on it soon.

Mike
 I wrote ‘happy’.
 -- John Lennon