Author Topic: Wild A$$(hat) decal hunt  (Read 1822 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Wild A$$(hat) decal hunt
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:11:41 PM »
Does anyone know if Model Railroader (or anyone else) ever made any Milwaukee, Racine and Troy decals in HO or N?  I have the FVM foobie set, and some of the anniversary boxcars from over the years - and I recently found my Turtle Creek decals that came in an issue way, way back.  But I'll be danged if I can remember, much less find, any MR&T decals - like for locos.

Now that you are done laughing - any ideas?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Wild A$$(hat) decal hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »
I'm not laughing, Philip.  A few weeks ago, I asked on Model Railroader's Video Plus series "Ask MRVP" for the artwork or decals for MR's 1980s project layout, The Seaboard Central, and, on Episode 3, they answered my question by making the artwork available.  If you happen to also be a member of MRVP, you could do the same.  If they post it, the artwork would be free, and then you'll just need to do what I need to do: find someone to make white decals for you.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
I'm not a member - haven't talked myself into it.

hum . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
Phil, if you ask nicely and they have them in stock the will send you a set in HO.I wish they would do a N scale set.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:31 AM »
Catt don't you know MRR has become HORRs?  :D
They sure put in alot of effort to not showcase N... Even David Popp sold his gorgeous N scale New Haven layout... Probably to buy some HOs...
If Jim Kelly leaves or retires from them then we will be screwed lol.

I'd sure like to see some a$$hat decals though reporting marks would be ASSX Right?
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »
Catt don't you know MRR has become HORRs?  :D
They sure put in alot of effort to not showcase N... Even David Popp sold his gorgeous N scale New Haven layout... Probably to buy some HOs...
If Jim Kelly leaves or retires from them then we will be screwed lol.

I'd sure like to see some a$$hat decals though reporting marks would be ASSX Right?

I realize this may have been tongue-in-cheek, but there are some who are convinced that Model Railroader is anti-N scale.  Not true, in fact, MR's 2015 project layout was an N scale layout on a hollow-core door.  HO is just more popular than N, causing the difference in exposure in the magazine.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
I did find the Seaboard Central artwork freely available on the MR website.  So there is that.

Interestingly in their video of MR&T Heritage locos, they have most of their project railroads. And they note all their MR&T decals were made as custom runs by DM Decals, which was Don Manlick's shop before he passed away.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
I agree ask MR directly,, you never know what can happen.

When Terry Thompson was still the head cheese, I emailed him and asked why no N scale brother?

He sent a very lengthy reply, that boiled down to,,,,

That there is VERY LITTLE N scale material submitted, so therefore that shows in the lack of N scale articles and the like. So if the N scale modeling masses feel that MR is slighting N scale,, flood their email,, flood their snail mail with submission after submission. Or we could just take over MR by a force of arms and hold the MR&T as hostage till we have our 1:160 demands met. I my self would submit articles,, but my writting skills lack,, heck they just stink.

As for the ASSX decals,,, is that just a eastern thing?, because it seems to me that all of that rolling stock would stay east of the Mississippi and north of mason dixon line.  I think the decals would look real good on pennsy tuscan red cars.

wyatt

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:31 AM »
The ASSX reporting marks is funny, but I can't run it on my layout since half of my rolling stock already has SBD for reporting marks.  I'm pretty sure that I don't need to be establishing that type of theme for the layout.   :D

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
Dave did you know there is a CSX dispatcher in Baltimore with the initials AS.  They use their 3 initials and hers woud be a$$ is used properly and they just let her use 2 initials.  And if you ever heard her talking to crews or track workers she is an a$$.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
 :D I was just trying to be funny...
Cause yes I do know about their hollow door project....
but thats all they do.. i want to see a bigger layout in N from them.... even if it is a around the room shelf...
its like they are small minded about N, sure we all know a layout can fit on a door, i just want to go bigger... ya know?

but i think it would be funny to have ASSX reporting marks... I want to know what their logo would look like....
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »
I think the most of us in the hobby tend to forget that MR is trying to get new people involved in the hobby. Therefore the small layout is a attraction. Nice size pike,, operating potential, and just coolness.

Not everyone wants a medium to large layout, heck who can afford one these days!! I thought it was a nice layout,, quick fast and in a hurry.

Wyatt