Author Topic: News from Showcase Miniatures  (Read 1722 times)

wbvrail

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
    • Showcase Miniatures
News from Showcase Miniatures
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
Hello all...

Just wanted to mention some of our latest products at Showcase.  We are always working hard to create new products as well as updating those already in production.  A case in point here is our Searchlight signal rebuilds.  We have developed in partnership with Richmond Controls a tri-color LED that will actually fit inside our modified N Scale signal heads and I think the results have been worthwhile.: http://www.showcaseminiatures.net/n-scale-century-foundry-signals.html.  The new models effectively replace our Fiber Optic signals and the kit remains basically the same except for the upgraded signal head itself.

Secondly, we have added a N Scale standard gauge Shay locomotive kit to the lineup.: http://www.showcaseminiatures.net/n-scale-locomotives.html.  This model represents a 30 to 40 ton Class B Shay and is identical in build to our Nn3 version.  The kit requires a Searails PowerMax power unit for motive power.

More to come....

Walter
Showcase Miniatures
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:08:07 AM by GaryHinshaw »
Walter
Showcase Miniatures

"Fidelity of Scale"... It's Our Promise

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
Re: News from Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw the re-designed signal heads on the website last week...a BRILLIANT engineering re-design to allow LEDs for those that want 'em!...and including pre-stained wood poles for the telegraph/telephone/power pole sets just made a great item even better...
please keep them coming...(and, hopefully, soon, fill a much needed gap in N scale signal systems!)
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »
You have another winner on your hands Walter- congratulations!

I wasn't too thrilled with the fiber optic version and provided you my opinion at that time.  If the new version is a result of listening to your customer's feedback then Showcase Miniatures is in tune with their market - a perfect way to run a successful business.

I have to say that it seems to me that Showcase Miniatures has been producing lots of winning products in the last few years. You have filled many gaps which existed in N scale models (especially in the modern era models).  Plus your products are pretty high quality and your company provides excellent and personal customer support.

I hope that your sales figures confirm that you are on the right track in both, product development and customer service.  Thanks Walter, Debbie, and Joe!
. . . 42 . . .

wbvrail

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
    • Showcase Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments......

Yes, we are always listening to our customer's feedback and try to incorporate as many requests as feasible. 

The fiber optic method of lighting the signals has its merits but we have wanted (from the beginning) to light these directly with an incorporated LED.  Until now, these have not been available.

We really appreciate the support we have received from our customers and look forward to providing quality products for years to come....

Walter
Showcase Miniatures
Walter
Showcase Miniatures

"Fidelity of Scale"... It's Our Promise

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
Every thing Peteski says --- +1 !!!

Just two things....   I wish the MOW kits came with cast cabs (and the stainless fret).  Dealing with stainless steel is just beyond my aging motor control ....   :)

And please don't forget we need a nice tamper!

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »
The best looking, and now the best functioning signal in N scale all from one source!  You guys rock! Time to order up.

ok for the electical noob reading over the required resistor, which one and any idea's on the best source to get?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:28:56 PM by Smike »

jcox3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
I just received a note from Richmond Controls AKA Jim Hinds asking if I would post this for him.

Please read below.

JOE:

If you can post to Railwire on the topic   NEWS FROM SHOWCASE   , I recommend telling the folks that the choice of resistor is a matter of personal preference, but they can't go wrong starting with 1500 ohms in series with the POSITIVE wire.  Only one resistor in the positive wire can limit the currents to all 3 LEDs.  Anyone wanting these resistors can just send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Richmond Controls with a request for a reasonable quantity of them.  Anyone wanting to discuss the resistors is welcome to contact Richmond Controls.

Thanks,

Jim

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
Electrically single resistor is the easiest solution but in practice (especially for an anal modeler) this doesn't work.  Why?  Because with all the multicolor LEDs I have the color LED dies have different brightness and/or forward voltage.  So if they all use the same resistor they will all emit light at a different brightness level.

For example the green-blue LED might be much brighter with a 1.5k resistor than the yellow one.  This might be acceptable to some, but not all modelers.
. . . 42 . . .

jcox3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »

Here's a reply to the last comment:

Before you add a resistor for each LED, you might save yourself a bunch of time by first trying it to see if you like it with just one resistor in the positive lead.  It will make things much simpler, and most people won't see any difference in brightness when just using one resistor.  If you don't like it with only one resistor, you can always add more.

Jim

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »

Here's a reply to the last comment:

Before you add a resistor for each LED, you might save yourself a bunch of time by first trying it to see if you like it with just one resistor in the positive lead.  It will make things much simpler, and most people won't see any difference in brightness when just using one resistor.  If you don't like it with only one resistor, you can always add more.

Jim

Thank you both for the help!!!! Very simple to understand. I will try 1, and go from there.