Author Topic: N Scale C415 - Who Wants One?  (Read 8122 times)

dcutting

• Crew
  • Respect: -57
N Scale C415 - Who Wants One?
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:34:20 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to sirenwerks, I began thinking about how I could make a C415 in N Scale. I spent a few hours today going over mechanisms that I could use for the model, and here is what I discovered.

The Atlas RS11 and VO1000 are about 2-3' longer between the bogies than the prototype C415. That is quite a bit in N scale. As some have suggested, I looked into chopping down an atlas chassis, but the problem is that the trucks would hit the motor bracket, look at how close the VO1000 trucks are:

After some more thought and research, I discovered that the atlas MP15DC has a different, shorter motor. The MP15 is about 4' too short between the truck centers. This got me thinking about what I could do with 3D printing to remedy the problem. Here's what I came up with.

I could 3D print a new frame in FUD, then send it up to canada to Miniatures By Eric, where Mr. Courtney works his magic and sends me back a frame made of brass. the frame would then be populated with the motor, bearings, worms, and other parts. To fix the trucks I could use AAR-B trucks from atlas, or 3D print them. I could also offer ALCo Hi-ad trucks using this method.

One advantage of using brass is that it will increase the weight of the chassis, increasing tractive effort. I can also fill in everywhere with brass, so the weight goes way up, something that MP15DC owners have been griping about.

For the shell, I plan to make all three cab heights and some different prototype detail differences available. More on the shell once I figure out the mechanism.

So now I need to get my hands on an MP15DC and start copying. Any suggestions and requests for the finished model are welcome. Keep your fingers crossed!

-David

--
David Cutting
CEO, Cutting Edge Scale Models
www.cescalemodels.com
store.cescalemodels.com
David Cutting

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: N Scale C415 - Who Wants One?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »
Color me interested in an SP version.

Check out an alternative idea for lengthening a frame with RP here: https://jamestrainparts.wordpress.com/. James is printing a frame extension in Shapeways' stainless steel process. The plus is not having to re-engineer the entire frame, especially the fiddly bits around the gear towers.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
Me.  Hi-ad trucks.  High cab.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the response so far. I did look at that concept, but I ultimately decided that it would be best to copy the atlas frame exactly, while extending it and adding extra material where I can.

-David

--
David Cutting
www.cescalemodels.com
David Cutting

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
Hi David
I have a chassis ready for my C-415.  I've been planning a kitbash for a C-415 for a while, and the ideal chassis is a Life-Like FA-1,  at 28' it is the correct wheelbase.  All that is required is to machine the sides down to the same width as the motor, and leave a little at the bottom to support the side sills.  My chassis will accept an atlas Alco Century shell, so the width is about right.  It's likely some material will need to be removed from the top of the chassis, but that isn't a biggie.

This photo shows some Atlas parts sitting on the chassis.  The fit is about right and the height seems okay, and the wheelbase is spot on.

The other plus with this chassis is that it has the correct trucks for most of the C-415's built.  Of course a Hi-Ad option would be popular.  As you can see, my chassis has been machined right through, but the intension was to leave ~1mm as a support for the side sills.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I want one, shell and detail parts.

Cheers
Steve

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
Hi David
I have a chassis ready for my C-415.  I've been planning a kitbash for a C-415 for a while, and the ideal chassis is a Life-Like FA-1,  at 28' it is the correct wheelbase.  All that is required is to machine the sides down to the same width as the motor, and leave a little at the bottom to support the side sills.  My chassis will accept an atlas Alco Century shell, so the width is about right.  It's likely some material will need to be removed from the top of the chassis, but that isn't a biggie.

This photo shows some Atlas parts sitting on the chassis.  The fit is about right and the height seems okay, and the wheelbase is spot on.

The other plus with this chassis is that it has the correct trucks for most of the C-415's built.  Of course a Hi-Ad option would be popular.  As you can see, my chassis has been machined right through, but the intension was to leave ~1mm as a support for the side sills.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I want one, shell and detail parts.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info. I saw this project over on TB today as I was searching around. I think that makint a new frame is better because then I can control all of that without having to mill each and every frame that much.

Thanks!

-David

--
David Cutting
www.cescalemodels.com
store.cescalemodels.com
David Cutting

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
Then there's the issue of donors. FAs are still somewhat plentiful (be careful not to get the plastic frame version!), but I recall a project of a similar nature which required up to three Arnold GG-1 donors IIRC, and no, it couldn't be reworked to use the Kato GG. Talk about a project being a non-starter. :|

That said, I agree with David's concept, create a new frame to use current-ish parts. All I can advise, though, is if you're going that route, please do what you can to use off-the-shelf AAR B trucks rather than roll your own with RP. The less you have to do, the more likely success can be assured.

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
That said, I agree with David's concept, create a new frame to use current-ish parts. All I can advise, though, is if you're going that route, please do what you can to use off-the-shelf AAR B trucks rather than roll your own with RP. The less you have to do, the more likely success can be assured.

We will make sure to get the AAR-B trucks from atlas where possible, then I can focus on the Hi-ads. Those are gonna be tricky.

-David
David Cutting

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
I think it goes without saying that I'm in.  I want one (OK, maybe two) of these:

And possibly a C&C hi-cab unit.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 01:16:26 AM »
This is what I am after.
www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopicture.aspx?id=125794

Out of my era, but in my area. It would be a fun just because project.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 01:50:15 AM »
I wouldn't mind having an SP&S, but don't know what I'd do with it.  As far as I know they never made it into Montana, even after the merger.

N Kalanaga
Be well

leikec

• Respect: +3
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 02:36:01 AM »
Id like to have the two BN engines.

Jeff C

PROPULDUDE

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Hi, I would like the SP Version and I hope you will make the body and trucks available separately. I prefer to use the FA1 chassis to spare the expense of purchasing the extended frame...Thanks

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »
Hi, I would like the SP Version and I hope you will make the body and trucks available separately. I prefer to use the FA1 chassis to spare the expense of purchasing the extended frame...Thanks

We will consider it, but I can't see why you would want to mill down the entire length of the chassis and risk something going wrong. Plus you get the more modern, smooth-running atlas features.

-David
David Cutting